Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree51Likes
  • 6 Post By Kurios1
  • 1 Post By G.A.P.metal
  • 26 Post By creskol
  • 2 Post By G.A.P.metal
  • 1 Post By Anduril
  • 3 Post By cw0909
  • 4 Post By Charlie P. (NY)
  • 2 Post By Kurios1
  • 2 Post By Kurios1
  • 2 Post By Kurios1
  • 2 Post By Kray Gelder

Thread: Intricate Machined Threaded Old Brass Whatsit?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5534 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Intricate Machined Threaded Old Brass Whatsit?

Howdy Folks. I dug a strange little brass item yesterday. Actually two of them in the pictures. One is intricately machined and threaded. The other appears hollow and filled with some old wood. No idea what either could be designed for. The threaded part is 1 1/2 inches long. The hollow piece is 1 3/4 inches long. Any ideas please chime in. Thanks for your assistance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windy Cold on the Hill Hunt 001.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	1523888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windy Cold on the Hill Hunt 006.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	1523889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windy Cold on the Hill Hunt 011.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	1523890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windy Cold on the Hill Hunt 007.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	1523891
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779 Montour Falls N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    3945 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Different looking ....my guess is some type of molding making bit .
    Gary
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    I`v been detecting for 48 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    2926 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779 Montour Falls N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    3945 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    creskol
    Real fast ID !
    creskol and cw0909 like this.
    I`v been detecting for 48 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

us
    Aug 2015
    South Florida
    Garrett GTI-2500
    606 times
    Metal Detecting
    Impressive ID, Creskol!
    (And as a gun owner, I'm certainly aware of shoving brass, cloth and solvents down a gun/rifle barrel to clean it - but this would have stumped me for sure!!)
    creskol likes this.

Dec 2006
    1768 times
    creskol great ID

cool find
    info @ site
    Made from solid brass and patterned after those found in best English gun cases dating from 1800 through 1940.
    Absolutely indistinguishable from the originals

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7663 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wild! I don't recall ever seeing a cleaning jag like that (but then I haven't cleaned many original fine English guns).

Your other piece looks like the tip of a wood cleaning rod/loading rammer that would be carried under the barrel(s) of a muzzleloader. I even see what appears to be the head of the pin that would have held it to the wood dowel.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5534 times
    WOO HOO! Thanks for the dead on ID with pictures!!! Sweet! Pretty darn cool find. I love it. Now to find the old British custom built rifle.
    creskol and TheCannonballGuy like this.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    5534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Wild! I don't recall ever seeing a cleaning jag like that (but then I haven't cleaned many original fine English guns).

Your other piece looks like the tip of a wood cleaning rod/loading rammer that would be carried under the barrel(s) of a muzzleloader. I even see what appears to be the head of the pin that would have held it to the wood dowel.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the other brass piece with the three rings and wood inside. That really seems to make sense to me. I will do additional research of such rods to see if I can spot a match or close comparison.
    TheCannonballGuy and creskol like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    2926 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurios1 View Post
    WOO HOO! Thanks for the dead on ID with pictures!!! Sweet! Pretty darn cool find. I love it. Now to find the old British custom built rifle.
    That is a really neat find.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    5534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    That is a really neat find.
    It never ceases to amaze me just what strange artifacts can pop up in the least likely locations. Again, thanks for the link, ID, and within' mere minutes of me posting this in the a.m. before work today. Well Done!
    creskol and cw0909 like this.

us
    papa

Feb 2017
    North Charleston, SC
    Fisher F75
    557 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great job on the ID, creskol!
    creskol and Kurios1 like this.

"You pretend to pay us, we pretend to work." --- Former Soviet Citizen

Remove Ads