Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Who is it ? Michigan Chippewas Indian Chief

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    88 times

Who is it ? Michigan Chippewas Indian Chief

Okay forum. I am a huge collector of old photography. I have had this one for a while. I cannot find any thing on this Native american Indian described as the chief of the Chippewas. I come up with Bebawissee for his name. I have spent a great deal of time on this one. I would like to put this to rest. This is the place for expertise on many topics. Thanks before hand. Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05072.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	1530982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05073.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	1530983  

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    3544 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You might try sending your information to: https://www.accessgenealogy.com/nati...nd-leaders.htm . Even though they are not of the same region, they probably have access to the database.
    Last edited by creskol; Dec 28, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    3711 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    being a commercially made stereograph card from probably around 1890-1900, I would imagine that the tribe would have a record of him as well as some recorded history of his life
    Old Pueblo and A2coins like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    4938 times
    Here is a compare of another pic I found on ebay. No info on who he is, though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chippewa chief compare.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	1530993
    He then explained to me that it was commonly believed that on a certain night of the year…
    a blue flame is seen over any place where treasure has been concealed.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    4938 times
    oldbattleaxe and A2coins like this.
    He then explained to me that it was commonly believed that on a certain night of the year…

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    3711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Here is a compare of another pic I found on ebay. No info on who he is, though...
    that is no doubt the same guy. the ebay pic looks to be taken a few years later

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    23752 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Chief Flatmouth, the second ?

Name:  bf46673076e7f1969e7d4757a3a7f89c--indian-tribes-native-indian.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  12.8 KB
    A2coins and oldbattleaxe like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    4938 times
    I can't find anything on this guy. No chiefs found with a name any where close to the spelling on the stereo-optic. I saw one additional copy of the photo on Pinterest.

I did discover that your picture was take in 1870 by Childs:

B.F. Childs 1870 photographic tour of Lake Superior, which was published on stereo-optic cards as “The Gems of Lake Superior.” Deo is the proprietor of the Superior View Gallery in Marquette. Childs loaded a small sailboat with a large format glass plate negative camera, as well as all of the necessary plates, and set sail with companion and a Native American guide to circle Lake Superior. The voyage, as well as supplemental work done later, resulted in the publication of more than 500 stereo-optic cards.
    But that's about it.

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2472 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    This ebay listing shows the same image as the OP and says his name is "Beebunesse" which is close enough to be the same as indicated (IMO) but I think that name may be wrong b/c it is also a dead end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/108-Year-Ol....c100011.m1850

You are buying a high quality photograph. It is printed with Archival Inks on Premium Heavyweight Photographic Paper. The photograph is made from the original glass or celluloid negative or from the original photograph. My photographic reprints are known for their sharpness and beautiful warm tone. This image shows Chippewa Chief Beebunesse of the L'Anse Michigan Tribe. He was 108 years old when this photo was taken. I combine the shipping on multiple photo purchases, so don’t forget to check out my Ebay Store.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbattleaxe View Post
    Okay forum. I am a huge collector of old photography. I have had this one for a while. I cannot find any thing on this Native american Indian described as the chief of the Chippewas. I come up with Bebawissee for his name. I have spent a great deal of time on this one. I would like to put this to rest. This is the place for expertise on many topics. Thanks before hand. Bill
    Nice find. Some of my grandparents came from Germany to live with the Chippewa, way back in the 1850s. Some of my ancestors may have known this man.
    jewelerguy and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    88 times
    I have been trying for a long time and cannot find the name on this stereotype. Maybe a dead end is right
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelerguy View Post
    being a commercially made stereograph card from probably around 1890-1900, I would imagine that the tribe would have a record of him as well as some recorded history of his life
    I agree. I was going to say 1890s, based on some similar photos I have.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2472 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    This reference has a similar name.. maybe something to it..?

Chief Chabowaywa

Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chippewa chief compare.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	1530993
    If you notice, hes holding the same stick in both photos.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramblefind View Post
    This reference has a similar name.. maybe something to it..?

Chief Chabowaywa

Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882.
    Yes, thats him. Great work. This is the quote from the website you found:

'Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882'
    Last edited by Old Pueblo; Dec 29, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
    oldbattleaxe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links