Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By Fullstock
  • 6 Post By Old Pueblo
  • 2 Post By Fullstock
  • 3 Post By CRUSADER
  • 3 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 2 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 1 Post By Fullstock
  • 1 Post By TheCannonballGuy

Thread: Found in a Civil Camp, what is it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2012
    633 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Found in a Civil Camp, what is it?

I found this a while back in a camp area where I found mini balls, buttons and other Civil War items. A friend suggested that it was some type of cleaning rod for a rifle. Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514671033.643159.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	1531941

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Cleaning rod is a good guess. Thats what I was going to say.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    I looked it up, and it does appear to be an old cleaning rod, without the bristles, which probably rusted away or something like that. See here: https://www.militaryuniformsupply.co...l-cleaning-kit

Oct 2012
    633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Pueblo View Post
    I looked it up, and it does appear to be an old cleaning rod, without the bristles, which probably rusted away or something like that. See here: https://www.militaryuniformsupply.co...l-cleaning-kit
    Thanks Old Pueblo, it sure looks like it.

Oct 2012
    633 times

Found in a Civil Camp, what is it?

You sent me in the right direction Old Pueblo, looks like it’s a carbine bore brush. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514673751.707554.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	1531986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514673764.171666.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	1531987
    Last edited by Fullstock; Dec 30, 2017 at 05:41 PM.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1868 times
    Glad to help.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    15611 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I agree a bore brush.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Civil War car aerial.
    Kurios1, Old Pueblo and DCMatt like this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    6904 times
    Relic Hunting
    That rifle/carbine bore-cleaner brush's missing bristles were made of coarse hair or some kind of stiff fiber... which rotted away.

Forty years ago, I dug one EXACTLY like yours at an 1864 civil war battlefield in North Georgia... and others have been dug from civil war sites. I capitalized "exactly" because some small details of the bore-brush's form are very important for determining its correct ID. Note that its brass attachment-end is threaded, to screw into another metal part. Also note that there is a slot where the ends of the twisted brass wire fit into the attachment-end. Its overall length is also important. Internet research shows there are several slightly-different models of this bore-cleaner brush... some of which are from slightly after the end of the civil war. See the photos below, which show a US Model-1866 carbine bore-cleaner brush, and a Model-1873 brush for the US .45-70 Springfield Rifle, and a "Sharps Carbine" bore brush with no model-date. Remember, the brass brush's overall length is important when you view these photos. (You'll have to check the photos' file-name for the model and date info, because I don't know for sure what order the photos will get posted in.) Note that some have a leather thong which is connected directly to the brush's brass attachment-end. Other have a threaded end, which screws into the brass ferule on the leather thong. I can't find any which a labeled with certainty as being pre-1866... but I can tell you that more than just a few have been dug from civil war battlefields and campsites.

I must mention, I think that some (but not all) of the McPheeters website's identification and dates of these bore-cleaner brushes is inaccurate. I hope somebody here already knows or will have better luck than I did in researching the ID of these long-bodied, threaded-end bore brushes than I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_Springfield-Model1866_no-thong_rod-mounted_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_0.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	1532543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_Springfield45.70-Model1873_single-thong_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_73ro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1532544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_US-Carbine_single-thong_WIRE-SLOT-IN-FERRULE_1861-1872_Mcpheetersantiquemilit.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1532545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_Sharps_double-thong_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_sharpbrush_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	1532546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_US-carbines_single-thong_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_cwrodset.jpg 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1532547  

BosnMate, DCMatt and Fullstock like this.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Educator

Feb 2006
    6904 times
    Relic Hunting
    To help avoid confusion in researching the correct ID (and time period) of the rifle/carbine bore-cleaning brass brushes, here are two photos of first-half-of-the-20th-Century ones. The first is a Model-1903 Springfield Rifle's bore brush, and the other is a World War 2 US M-1 Garand Rifle's bore brush. Both of these have copper/brass wire bristles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-cleaner-brush_1903springfield-rifle--cleaning-kit_TN_postedbyDCMatt.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	1532562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guntool_bore-brush_WW2_M1-Garand-30caliber-Rifle_package-dated1-946_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	1532563  
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Jan 01, 2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added info.
    BosnMate and Fullstock like this.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Oct 2012
    633 times
    Interesting read TheCannonballGuy, and thanks for the pictures as well. Question though, just to clarify, do you think my (and your) brush is Civil War period, or post Civil War?

Educator

Feb 2006
    6904 times
    Relic Hunting
    I wish I knew for sure that your/our brass bore-cleaning brush was from the civil war, or from later. As I indicated above a significant quantity have been dug at civil war sites, so we always assumed they were from that time-period. But despite much online searching, I have not yet found any documentation that "our" long-with-threaded-end version of the bore brush was manufactured before 1866.

What is the total length of the one you found? As you see in the previously posted photos, most seem to be a good bit shorter than yours.
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Dec 31, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Oct 2012
    633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    I wish I knew for sure that your/our brass bore-cleaning brush was from the civil war, or from later. As I indicated above a significant quantity have been dug at civil war sites, so we always assumed they were from that time-period. But despite much online searching, I have not yet found any documentation that "our" long-with-threaded-end version of the bore brush was manufactured before 1866.

What is the total length of the one you found? As you see in the previously posted photos, most seem to be a good bit shorter than yours.
    I checked and it’s 5 1/8” long, is that the same as yours? The camp where I found this was a late camp, probably 64 or 65, but I wouldn’t think Post War.
    TheCannonballGuy likes this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    6904 times
    Relic Hunting
    Fullstock wrote:
    > "I checked and it’s 5 1/8” long, is that the same as yours?"

I dug my brass Rifle/Carbine bore-cleaner brush at least 40 years ago, and sadly I have no idea where it's at now. But that length matches my memory of it. Like yours, mine came from an 1864 military site, and like yours mine was found among civil war bullets.

The problem for us is that yankee Occupation troops camped on some of those same wartime sites during the years of the so-called Reconstruction era, well-into the 1870s. The proof of that is the slightly post-civil-war gunparts (such as Trapdoor Springfield Rifle parts), late-1860s coins, and definitely-postwar uniform buttons we dig at civil war sites.)

I hope the info and photos I posted will eventually lead somebody here to find and provide the correct ID and time-period for us.
    Fullstock likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links