Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Older The Better
  • 3 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 1 Post By Older The Better

Thread: Long shot on a Back mark

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Long shot on a Back mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6921.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	1532783
    Found this today at a site with many other buttons all the other flat buttons say orange colour, this one was different I know extra colour doesn't do much to give an id. I was wondering if the marks between stars or the sun burst type pattern in the middle could tell more.
    Kray Gelder and Old Pueblo like this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    7285 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your button's backmark gives no indication of a manufacturer's name, so I can't help you about that, except to say that the backmark's British spelling of the word color as colour means your button was made in Britain. On a brass 1-piece flatbutton, indented lettering in the backmark dates it to being from sometime between about 1810 and the mid-1830s. However, British ones dug in America are most likely from the 1820s into the 1830s, because the War Of 1812 (US-versus-Britain) interrupted trade between the two countries, and many Americans boycotted British-made products for nearly 10 years after the war's end (1815).

The reason so many British-made pewter, white-tombac, and brass buttons are found in America:
    The very young American button-making industry was not capable of mass-producing metal buttons until the late-1820s. So, to supply the demand for metal buttons from the clothing industry, hundreds-of-thousands had to be imported from Britain.

I should mention, the British government protected Brit button-makers from American competition by restricting exports to the US of raw copper and brass needed for button making and various other "skilled" metal crafts such as making candlesticks, bowls, goblets, eating utensils, etc.
    Historical info-sources:
    "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon
    "Record Of American Uniform And Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert (which most button collectors simply call "the Albert button-book").
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Jan 01, 2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Typo-error correction.
    Mackaydon, snaps and fyrffytr1 like this.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    204 times
    so the "T" shaped mark between the stars is just decoration? I thought maybe it was a sort of makers mark

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    7285 times
    Relic Hunting
    Yes, the T-shaped mark between the "stars" in your brass flatbutton's backmark is just a decorative punctuation. I can't see it very well in the photo, but it sorta looks like a Maltese Cross. An actual letter mark in the backmark would be the same "serifed" lettering-style as the other letters... it would look just like the T in extra.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    204 times
    kind of what I suspected but worth a shot thanks for the help
    TheCannonballGuy likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links