Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree42Likes
  • 7 Post By Audozer
  • 8 Post By fyrffytr1
  • 4 Post By Audozer
  • 4 Post By fyrffytr1
  • 2 Post By Audozer
  • 5 Post By BosnMate
  • 6 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 3 Post By Audozer
  • 2 Post By A2coins
  • 1 Post By devldog

Thread: Couple more for the experts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2017
    39 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Couple more for the experts

I have found a couple finds that I haven't been able to id completely. The first is what I can only figure to be part of some military uniform, a buckle for suspenders or something along those lines. I found it in two pieces not far from each other and can only guess it was broken by a dozer while the dirt road I found it in was built. I've never seen one quite like it but honestly I haven't been finding many leads on what it is to begin with. It does appear to have red paint here and there in the low spots, not sure if it was all red but it definitely had some on it in places.
    The second is the button, I've found examples that were very similar but not exactly the same therefore I haven't came to any definite conclusion as to its age and how it was used. These were both found in gold country California, the dime is for size reference only. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864320.426089.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	1532984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864333.571675.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	928.2 KB 
ID:	1532985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864353.645411.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	915.7 KB 
ID:	1532986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864391.428907.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	857.1 KB 
ID:	1532987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864423.881136.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	976.1 KB 
ID:	1532988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514864438.167478.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	864.2 KB 
ID:	1532989 thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Audozer; Jan 01, 2018 at 10:46 PM.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    White's DFX
    3038 times
    The eagle piece is half of a tongue and wreath buckle. I'll defer to the experts here about it's age. The eagle should be rotated 90 degrees so it is vertical. The button is from about 1857 and is a general service one. William Lang had an army contract on April 14, 1857 for 1,050 gross coat buttons and 1,250 gross vest buttons; apparently the eagle buttons with Lang's b/m are from this contract.
    Audozer, snaps, Yak1366 and 5 others like this.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Nov 2017
    39 times
    Thank you!! I didn't think the button was quite that old but I'm glad it is. I would guess it came to California with a miner?

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    White's DFX
    3038 times
    I just found this link showing an eagle like yours dating it to the 1840-50s.

Buckle???
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Nov 2017
    39 times

Couple more for the experts

Nice, after reading into that I found this one, showed some that are identical but I still didn't catch an exact age unless I missed it Civil war buckle in Iowa???
    A2coins and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8211 times
    Here's one that's together with the wreath.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2P.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1533003
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    6537 times
    Relic Hunting
    I'm posting the following info because the thin STAMPED-SHEETBRASS 2-piece tongue-&-wreath "patriotic" CIVILIAN buckle center-disc and rectangular belt-loop found by Audozer can easily be confused with the much-sturdier MILITARY-issue SOLID-CAST brass version of tongue-&-wreath buckle. Audozer's find is made of very thin stamped-sheetbrass, and is a version sold for Civilian use in California during the Gold Rush era (1849-1850s).

The following info is at the link posted by Fyrffytr1, but it's way down in that discussion, below the part saying 1840s-50s. It was written by T-Net member Kuger, who I consider to be an Expert on the subject of the thin Civilian-usage stamped-brass buckles. See the photo below, showing a "Forty-Niner" wearing one.

On Dec. 28, 2009, Kuger wrote:
    > "I am going to drag this post up from the past as I don't get over to this side much, and Tongue and Wreaths [buckles] are my obsession!
    > As "V" said, you do indeed have the center disc of a stamped brass Tongue. It is what we call the Standard Eagle and there is several variations to it,one is actually a three piece that the center disc was soldered on a "T" bar. This design was not very good as we seldom find them still intact, but looking at yours I see that yours has remnants of the bridge (the common weak spot on these "flimsy" buckles) which means it was a one piece tongue. These buckles were actually made for the California Gold Rush, and the stamped brass ones were actually sold with the elastic cloth belt and trousers as the trousers were basically one size fits all and months in the field would cause anybody to have to "tighten" up the belt! Some of these buckles actually had the retailer's name on them which was like the first designer clothing advertisements! I believe the examples that are found east of the Mississippi are undoubtedly lost by men that were in the Gold Fields."
    Buckle???

---------------------

In the closeup photo of a stamped-sheetbrass eagle tongue-&-wreath below, note that the rectangular belt-loop's body is "fatter" and "rounded-looking" in comparison to the solid-cast version's very-square-bodied loops (see BosnMate's photo). The other photo shows the back of the solid-cast brass Military version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_buckle_CaliforniaGoldRush-era_CIVILIAN_patriotic_2-piece-tongue-&-wreath_stamped-brass_wit.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	1533191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckle_CaliforniaGoldRush-era_CIVILIAN_patriotic_2-piece-tongue-&-wreath_stamped-brass_with-eagl.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1533192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckle_2-piece_solid-cast-brass_backview_photobyRelicman_P1713C.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1533201  
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Jan 03, 2018 at 12:02 AM. Reason: A necessary clarification.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Nov 2017
    39 times
    Thank you cannonball guy! I really appreciate the time you and everyone else has put in to help me track down info on these things. We love this hobby and I'm glad we have this forum for us like minded people to share info, finds, and stories. I just hope I can find the opportunity to repay you folks for sharing your experience and knowledge with my family and I!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    5635 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Amazing finds great pieces of history. Thanks for posting your finds
    Audozer and devldog like this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    477 times
    Relic Hunting
    Audozer, Congrat's to you on the finds of the Eagle General Service button and the 2 piece Eagle buckle. Very Nice finds.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    11437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    I'm posting the following info because the thin STAMPED-SHEETBRASS 2-piece tongue-&-wreath "patriotic" CIVILIAN buckle center-disc and rectangular belt-loop found by Audozer can easily be confused with the much-sturdier MILITARY-issue SOLID-CAST brass version of tongue-&-wreath buckle. Audozer's find is made of very thin stamped-sheetbrass, and is a version sold for Civilian use in California during the Gold Rush era (1849-1850s).

The following info is at the link posted by Fyrffytr1, but it's way down in that discussion, below the part saying 1840s-50s. It was written by T-Net member Kuger, who I consider to be an Expert on the subject of the thin Civilian-usage stamped-brass buckles. See the photo below, showing a "Forty-Niner" wearing one.

On Dec. 28, 2009, Kuger wrote:
    > "I am going to drag this post up from the past as I don't get over to this side much, and Tongue and Wreaths [buckles] are my obsession!
    > As "V" said, you do indeed have the center disc of a stamped brass Tongue. It is what we call the Standard Eagle and there is several variations to it,one is actually a three piece that the center disc was soldered on a "T" bar. This design was not very good as we seldom find them still intact, but looking at yours I see that yours has remnants of the bridge (the common weak spot on these "flimsy" buckles) which means it was a one piece tongue. These buckles were actually made for the California Gold Rush, and the stamped brass ones were actually sold with the elastic cloth belt and trousers as the trousers were basically one size fits all and months in the field would cause anybody to have to "tighten" up the belt! Some of these buckles actually had the retailer's name on them which was like the first designer clothing advertisements! I believe the examples that are found east of the Mississippi are undoubtedly lost by men that were in the Gold Fields."
    Buckle???

---------------------

In the closeup photo of a stamped-sheetbrass eagle tongue-&-wreath below, note that the rectangular belt-loop's body is "fatter" and "rounded-looking" in comparison to the solid-cast version's very-square-bodied loops (see BosnMate's photo). The other photo shows the back of the solid-cast brass Military version.
    Dig those pants.

Nov 2017
    39 times
    I'm still covering ground, this site is one that I go to a couple times a year and has given up quite a few interesting items so far

Jan 2018

I know what it is...

It is the metal part of an army badge award look it up it is fabric with on of those on it.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links