Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree40Likes
  • 4 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 3 Post By Yak1366
  • 1 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 5 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 4 Post By smokeythecat
  • 5 Post By lookingharder
  • 4 Post By A2coins
  • 4 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 1 Post By Davers

Thread: Big Miniball???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    113 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Big Miniball???

Hey folks. I found this big hunk of lead in a field today that to my knowledge had no civil war activity. Can anyone help me I.D. this bullet? I'm sorry I don't have any calipers but I did weigh it. It weighs exactly 46 grams. It has no markings on the underside (in the concave bottom). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	min46.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	1536523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	min.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	1536522  

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12505 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Most likely it is. It MAY be one of the big .69 caliber minies. I am also in Maryland and have been shocked to find Civil War stuff where there was no known history written. However, that being said, a lot of troops moved through here. What county are you in? I have found CW in Harford, Baltimore County, Washington, Frederick Cecil, Talbot, Baltimore City and Queen Anne's county over the years.
    Trentonfrank and A2coins like this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    113 times
    I'm in St. Marys county. You are right about troop movement. There was a civil war prison down here at Point Lookout. Maybe the bullet belonged to one of those troops marching through the area. Thanks for the reply.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12505 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Yes, a lot of folks moved through there. My two best Civil War relics were found at places no one dreamed there would be any relics from. One, a southern sympathizers house, they threw their stuff away out back after the war and the other a Gettysburg related picket post. Just a lonely windswept hilltop. In the middle of nowhere.
    Trentonfrank and A2coins like this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    113 times
    I do love this hobby. You never know what is in the ground. Today was a bizarre but good day. Along with the possible miniball, I found 2 british half pennies and 8 old Tombac buttons. I found all this stuff in an old Boy Scout Camp. I was just hoping to find maybe some merc dimes and some old pocket knives but I was surprised by my much older finds.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12505 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    I like the colonial stuff best. Yesterday I had the "pleasure" of almost losing my lunch with excitement over a Confederate buckle I just dug. It was at said lonely windswept outpost in the middle of nowhere. Blew my mind. You should be getting all kinds of colonial stuff down there.
    A2coins and Trentonfrank like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2017
    Currently Ringgold, Georgia, Formerly Vaudreuil, Quebec
    Garrett AT Pro & ProPointer AT
    547 times
    Documenting / Mapping Properties with Civil War History
    Trentonfrank, can you tell if there's any diagonal lines around the grooves? I know it's been fired, so these may be gone. I only have the Dean & Thomas Roundball to Rimfire Vol.4 which is dedicated to confederate ordnance, and your bullet is a close visual match to 2 specimens, if it's confederate. An accurate diameter is needed though.
    Davers, A2coins and Trentonfrank like this.
    ...helping to free the environment from lead contamination one bullet at a time!!!

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    113 times
    I don't see any diagonal lines. I can probably get a hold of some calipers tomorrow. I really appreciate the help.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12505 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    It does look fired.
    A2coins likes this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    7173 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your civil war .69-caliber 3-groove Minie-bullet is definitely a fired one.
    1- It shows rifling-marks... "slightly diagonal" ridges running up the bullet's sides, made by the gunbarrel's rifling-grooves.
    2- Definite impact damage on the bullet's nose.
    3. Just below the impact damage, there is a linear indentation encircling the bullet's nose, made by the ramrod's mouth during loading into a gunpowder-ash-clogged gunbarrel.

In addition to troops "passing through" an area with no battle history, there were many mustering-in-and-troop-training sites. Those are found in every state which sent troops to the civil war. Troop-training sites in states where no civil war battle was ever fought have produced civil war military relics, such as uniform buttons, buckles, gunparts, and bullets. I mention that in order to give some hope to diggers in Illinois, New York, and Michigan, etc. Do some research for civil war era State Militia mustering-and-training sites.
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Jan 13, 2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Typo-error correction.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12505 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    As usual Cannonballguy is dead on. I have dug more from unknown areas than battlefields.

us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    738 times
    Some of the reply's are why I try and research troop movements instead of actual battle sites. 1000 men - 8-10 miles a day = lots of camps = lots of coins, bottles, bullets, belt buckles and various other items that will make your day to find.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    6754 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    sweet finds!!!!! Cannonball guy with another shot heard all around the net//// very, helpful, and knowledgeable... great post!!!!!
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    113 times
    Thanks for the insight. The CannonballGuy. that line caused by the ram-rod was one of the things I wasn't sure of. When I saw it I had no idea what it was...
    so thank you very much for your knowledge and passing it on to me. Thanks to everyone who helped out as well. I will mark this guy "solved" and put my first .69 minnie in the display case. Thanks again!!!

Frank

Charter Member
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    4185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentonfrank View Post
    Hey folks. I found this big hunk of lead in a field today that to my knowledge had no civil war activity. Can anyone help me I.D. this bullet? I'm sorry I don't have any calipers but I did weigh it. It weighs exactly 46 grams. It has no markings on the underside (in the concave bottom). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank
    I really like the way that one impacted. 'As if it hit a small branch or similar,also' the neat 'Peel -Back on the ram-rod line.
    Trentonfrank likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links