Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Please help id and age

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2018
    Georgia
    Garrett Ace 400
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by highnam View Post
    Just a thought about the file...I have found at least a dozen of them in a 1912 logging camp...most of them are not heavily rusted like yours, some could even be used again. I know soil conditions vary, but this area gets plenty of rain.
    I think your file is more modern because the amount of iron that promotes more rust. I think more cheaper iron was being used during the start of the wars, my guess on the file would be 1930-60's. I commend your resolve in figuring out the date range. I admire the people who have share their experience on this forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.
    Thanks for the info! The land is heavy in clay, so the water does not move through it very fast. I don't know if this would add to the heavy rust or not. I appreciate the comments, seems I learn something new every time I login!

us
    Feb 2018
    Georgia
    Garrett Ace 400
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingharder View Post
    Keep hunting your land. Sometimes the first things you find are the newest but by hunting it and finding more items, you will be able to get a better understanding of the age of your finds. Have you done any research on the history of your land? Knowing what was on the land and how far back will give you a great start on dating the items you find.
    Thanks for tips! I have done some research and have talked to neighbors and locals. The area I am in is rich in Civil War history. I am near where the Union soldiers went up lookout mountain to fight the Battle of Chickamauga. I even have a history plaque or what ever you call those things just right down the road, as it talks about Colonel Nisbet and his farm and army that he created. He supposedly trained them at an old general store that used to be on the corner of my property. So naturally, everything I find I think its something from Nesbit or another soldier! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links