Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DCMatt
  • 1 Post By DCMatt
  • 1 Post By diggummup

Thread: Some kind of military light?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2018
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Some kind of military light?

Came across this item. Itís marked BEC 1942. Wondering if itís militart possibly. Iíve not been able to find any info on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	1547905Click image for larger version. 

Views:	113 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	1547904Click image for larger version. 

Views:	100 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	1547903

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    5898 times
    Interesting item.

Is it a kerosene/oil lamp? Two wicks?

Can you give an idea of size?

If you think it is military, which military? Where are you located/where did you get the piece.

It looks to me like this part fit inside some larger housing.
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka
    : You got it, that's Catch-22.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3127 times
    It looks to me like the lantern part of a "Magic Lantern" which is an early slide projector. If you google it and search images a lot of them turn up....
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    5898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    It looks to me like the lantern part of a "Magic Lantern" which is an early slide projector. If you google it and search images a lot of them turn up....
    I thought the same thing - slide projector. But 1942 seems late for a kerosene lamp projector. I would expect all electric by then.

This one is 1897. You can see some similarities with the OP's item:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcal_lecturer1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	1548236
    NOLA_Ken likes this.
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    5898 times
    1942 may not be a date but a patent number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magiclantern patent.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1548240

Pretty sure the OP item is the lantern device from a slide projector circa 1900.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9530 times
    I'm not convinced it's magic lantern related yet. I agree with Matt about it looking like a piece of something larger. What do the knobs do? Anything besides turn? What about the big knob in the first pic, does it unscrew? Are there any electrical components in it? Do the "viewing holes" have glass in them? What size is this thing? Need more info. Interesting item.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3614 times
    what about a signal light of some sort?

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    5898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diggummup View Post
    I'm not convinced it's magic lantern related yet. I agree with Matt about it looking like a piece of something larger. What do the knobs do? Anything besides turn? What about the big knob in the first pic, does it unscrew? Are there any electrical components in it? Do the "viewing holes" have glass in them? What size is this thing? Need more info. Interesting item.
    I watched a couple of YouTube vids (that makes me an expert now, right? ) demonstrating magic lanterns. The small knobs are to adjust the 2 lantern wicks - missing from the OP's item - and the large knob moves the parabolic mirror to focus the light on the lens - that was, presumably, on the housing that is missing from the OP's item.

The large hole in the back is for viewing the flame. Not sure why that was needed, but they all seem to have some way to view the light source - even ones with electric or carbon arc light sources.

I'm convinced.
    NOLA_Ken likes this.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    9530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    I watched a couple of YouTube vids (that makes me an expert now, right? ) demonstrating magic lanterns. The small knobs are to adjust the 2 lantern wicks - missing from the OP's item - and the large knob moves the parabolic mirror to focus the light on the lens - that was, presumably, on the housing that is missing from the OP's item.

The large hole in the back is for viewing the flame. Not sure why that was needed, but they all seem to have some way to view the light source - even ones with electric or carbon arc light sources.

I'm convinced.
    The more I look at it the more I see how it "could" be a partial one or the light source for one. It definitely looks like a burner of some type. I think the large screw type knob is for filling it up. I think the long slotted holes are for wicks as you mentioned.

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    2718 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Does it have a cord to plug in ? Are there any tubes inside ? How much does it weigh ? Are there any female holes to plug in male adapters ? Maybe the answer is in the Crystal Ball.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    9530 times
    OP needs to reply to questions asked in their own thread. Or else no sense in trying to help anymore.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links