Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Possumcop
  • 4 Post By jeff-gordon
  • 1 Post By Joe-Dirt

Thread: nothing? something? just curious

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    196 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

nothing? something? just curious

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8482.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	1561286
    found this at the base of some bluffs in the woods, its a loop of chain with a large brass tag with a 5 stamped on it, the tag is a little larger than a post it note and is on a split loop kind of like a oversized keychain... whats odd to me is the need to use a nicer heavy chunk of metal as a tag, i would think your average farm debris would be iron or plastic.

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030 & Equinox 800, Fisher Coin$strike, Fisher F44 & Whites Coinmaster.
    543 times
    It's a neck chain with tag numbered to identify cattle that were vaccinated with the Blackleg vaccine discovered by Dr. O.M. Franklin, who started the O. M. Franklin Serum Co. in 1916. here's a link to find out more info on it https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/awo01, nice piece of America's western history, Congrats on your find and thanks for sharing... "D"
    ďFor he is Godís servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out Godís wrath on the wrongdoer.Ē Romans 13:4

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    196 times
    any possible way to get an age? did they replace the brass at one point with plastic or stop using chains as collars at any time?

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030 & Equinox 800, Fisher Coin$strike, Fisher F44 & Whites Coinmaster.
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Older The Better View Post
    any possible way to get an age? did they replace the brass at one point with plastic or stop using chains as collars at any time?
    Not really sure, I didn't read the entire article in the link attached in my previous post, however when I get a chance I'll do a little more checking if you wish... "D"
    ďFor he is Godís servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out Godís wrath on the wrongdoer.Ē Romans 13:4

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10825 times
    Metal Detecting
    BTW, had old jack lived, I think the war would have gone much differently
    EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK
    IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT'S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett carrot
    457 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    Agreed, Grant never would have made it past Spotsylvania
    Last edited by Joe-Dirt; Mar 10, 2018 at 04:59 AM.
    Possumcop likes this.

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    196 times
    Not really sure, I didn't read the entire article in the link attached in my previous post, however when I get a chance I'll do a little more checking if you wish... "D"
    that would be great. find much or not that was a great id thanks

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    As we talked about in or PM's, I totally agree with you, there's no doubt the war would've continued and history would have been changed for sure, it's a shame he died before he had the opportunity to express his opinion, and possibly changed Lee's mind regarding the final battle plans of the battle at Gettysburg...

"D"
    Last edited by Possumcop; Mar 12, 2018 at 07:35 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Older The Better View Post
    that would be great. find much or not that was a great id thanks
    In 1927 the name was changed to the O. M. Franklin Blackleg Serum Company, but in 1937 Blackleg was dropped from the name. The Franklin Serum Company was sold in 1963 to American Home Products and became Franklin Laboratories... "D"

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8384 times
    In the mid last centuary, we were raising registered Angus Bulls, and records were kept on each cow. Cows were identified using a neck chain and a number. I recollect the number tags being plastic. Most of my time was spent irrigating pasture and feeding hay.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

us
    Dec 2017
    Kentucky
    Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
    1413 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Possumcop View Post
    As we talked about in or PM's, I totally agree with you, there's no doubt the war would've continued and history would have been changed for sure, it's a shame he died before he had the opportunity to express his opinion, and possibly changed Grant's mind before he engaged the north at Gettysburg...

"D"
    Grant had nothing to do with Gettysburg, he was at Vicksburg July 1863.

us
    Aug 2010
    cameron,ok.
    whites tesoro
    49 times
    Cow id. , my guess Kerr ranch ol oklahoma date 1950s til late 60s

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BosnMate View Post
    In the mid last centuary, we were raising registered Angus Bulls, and records were kept on each cow. Cows were identified using a neck chain and a number. I recollect the number tags being plastic. Most of my time was spent irrigating pasture and feeding hay.
    Yes sir you're absolutely correct. Let me first go over the metal AIN or "management tags" that cattlemen use. The first metal tags where made of Brass and occasionally copper, but the copper tags are rarely found anymore. Today you can get the metal tags in either traditional Brass or aluminum. They did make some out of steel at one time, and from what I've been told you can still have steel tags made, but you rarely see them and if you do run across some, they're probably custom made and special ordered.

The older plastic AIN or "Management tags" were first made of a hard plastic and were very prone to UV sunlight, which caused them to fade after a while, and eventually they became brittle and fell apart. The newer plastic tags used today are made of a pliable plastic and they're UV protected, to some degree of course, however they do last a lot longer than the initial hard plastic tags used back in the day .

They're some dairy and beef cattlemen who will tag their livestock with either metal or plastic ear tags. A few still use the neck chain, especially if they're raising a show bull or cow. They prefer the neck chain with the AIN or "Management tag" over the ear tag, because they don't want blemish their Show Bull or cow's ear, which could possibly cause them to lose points during the judging of their prize Bovine... "D"

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe G from Md View Post
    Grant had nothing to do with Gettysburg, he was at Vicksburg July 1863.
    Hi Joe, you're absolutely right. I worded my previous post wrong, what I was meaning to say was, had Jackson still been alive, he could've possibly had a part in the planning process of the engagement at Gettysburg and with Lee's confidence and respect for him, it's plausible he could've had some influence in Lee's decision regarding the engagement plans of the battle.

Grant, did however respect Jackson, not saying he liked him, Evan though Grant was posted out west, because Lincoln didn't much care for him. Grant Knew of Jackson and considered a formidable foe as well as a very good tactician, leader and not scared of leading his troops into the heart of a battle, that is while Jackson was still alive of course. I do appreciate you pointing out my mistake, and I feel foolish. I'm going to edit my post it right now.

Thanks Joe, "D"
    Last edited by Possumcop; Mar 12, 2018 at 07:32 PM.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links