Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NOLA_Ken
  • 1 Post By DCMatt

Thread: CAN YOU HELP IDENTIFY

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2018
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

CAN YOU HELP IDENTIFY

DATED 1942
    PICTURES OF MILITARY BADGES ATTACHED
    WIDTH - 1 1/2"
    HEIGHT - 1 3/4''
    MADE FROM A THIN COLOURED FOIL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0753.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	1563141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	1563142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	1563143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	1563144  

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9273 times
    They appear to be British regiments that fought in the war. As for their original intent, I don't know.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    10384 times
    I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard sjcjdj! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

Charter Member
    us
    Knight of the Round Bowl

Feb 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    616 times
    Cache Hunting
    Interesting ... obviously they are reproductions of British Army Regiment WW-era cap badges..

At first glance I thought these were a set of "First Day" foil stamp covers but they are missing their postage denominations.

Then I thought it looks like a commemorative set sold by a company like The Franklin or Danbury Mint (or their British equivalent).

Now I see in your first photo one of the "badges" is turned over and there appears to be the remnants of glue or paper stuck to it. Is that correct and do the others all appear to have been affixed to a paper board at one time ?
    Last edited by Ryano; Mar 12, 2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: brevity

Mar 2018
    Hi they are fixed to a 1942 news paper

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3115 times
    Some of these regiments had been decommissioned after WW1 which dates them to that era. The East Lancashire Regiment saw service at Gallipoli... I've never seen these particular items before but I would guess they are something like trading cards. They are definitely cool. I think if they were mine I would want to trim them from the old paper and have them all mounted and framed for display.
    diggummup likes this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030 & Equinox 800, Fisher Coin$strike, Fisher F44 & Whites Coinmaster.
    543 times
    At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939 the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, a fusilier infantry regiment of the British Army, consisted of seven battalions. A further three were raised during the war. Prior to the war, the regiment was one of a number that been selected to transition from an infantry role to a support role, its the one pictured below. This link will give you the history of the Northumberland Fusiliers; https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...land-fusiliers

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  13.8 KB
    ďFor he is Godís servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out Godís wrath on the wrongdoer.Ē Romans 13:4

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    5630 times
    Possibly tobacco or cigarette trading cards. Like baseball cards for adults.
    These are 1939:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a979d647518b14fa32942978ca7ac779.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1564215
    Last edited by DCMatt; Mar 14, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
    NOLA_Ken likes this.
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka
    : You got it, that's Catch-22.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    5630 times
    Here is a set of famous buildings in Britain:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H2737-L90541712.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	1564216
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka
    : You got it, that's Catch-22.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3115 times
    Looking at the photos, I see Canadian and other Commonwealth or Territorial regiments represented... They all seem to be regiments that saw action in WW1. I would imagine these were a sort of recruiting tool from that time, but I can't find any like them online.

My thought is to contact either the Imperial War Museum, or the National Army Museum in London and send photos to them, I would think that if these existed anywhere else one of those two collections is likely to have them or know of them.

Good luck and I hope you'll update us if you find any info elsewhere
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links