Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2003
    Indiana

Button back marks

Where can I find some info on a few buttons a buddy of mine has found. Some of them say the following: WARRANTED ORANGE, GILT COLOUR TRIBLE, BEST STANDARD 29, DOUBLE ORANGE, FINE GOLD COLOUR. The fronts of these buttons have no markings and appear to be made out of brass or copper. I've checked the local library but all the books deal with ornamental or fancy buttons.

dneyedli@res1.mts.net

Button back marks

Dbeard77,
    Look at my posting in the Relic hunting section entitled "Dating buttons"
    There are many variations with the words "warranted, orange gilt , treble gilt, colour, etc. These were manufactured in England.
    I am working on some more back marks with this years finds and will post the info soon. If you wish, P.M. me with any questions.
    Cheers, Dave.

Sep 2003
    Indiana

Button back marks

Thanks so much. I had read your post a while back but had forgotten where I had read it. Are these type buttons worth much? If not me and my buddy still had fun finding them even if there not worth much. Many of them sure get your heart pumping when you dig them....they look so much like coins when you first catch a glimpse of them in the dirt.

dneyedli@res1.mts.net

Button back marks

Dbeard77,
    The value of those buttons is significant, as they give you a general date of the site you are searching, which I would assume to be around 1840.
    This is helpful when there is no obvious dating material like coins.
    Speaking of coins, those plain, flat buttons have scared the #$^@ out of me a number of times!
    On Ebay, the flat, plain buttons usually sell for a few bucks each, but when you add them to a historical grouping, the value increases.
    They are fun to find, especially when you start to collect all the different back marks and find one you haven't seen before.
    You might be able to tell that I love those buttons! I really like the ones with pictures and designs.
    Bye for now,
    Dave.

Sponsored Links