Artillery shells? WWII? Civil War?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By ChopperDoctor
  • 10 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 2 Post By sprailroad
  • 1 Post By ChopperDoctor

Thread: Artillery shells? WWII? Civil War?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2018
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Artillery shells? WWII? Civil War?

Me and some buddies are in Va and we got permission to detect in a pretty good area around Ft Eustis. We need some help identifying these. Are they civil war artillery? WWII era artillery? This base was a major location in both the civil war and WW2 as far as troops and logistics go. Could these be live and dangerous? Any help would be appreciated. We left them out there until further ID. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533773247.877975.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	1620145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533773258.658985.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	1620146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533773268.379827.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	1620147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533773277.612191.jpg 
Size:	893.4 KB 
ID:	1620148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533773288.709444.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	860.3 KB 
ID:	1620149
    Last edited by ChopperDoctor; Aug 08, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
    sprailroad and huntsman53 like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11822 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think somewhere between the two. 1880 to 1890 Hotchkiss 47mm ("3-Pounder") . . . perhaps? Maybe a 42mm Hotchkiss? The notorious "Wounded Knee" gun.

We need measurements.

"Could these be live and dangerous?"

Assume so until you know different.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Aug 08, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    8580 times
    Relic Hunting
    Again, only enough energy for one post.

Thank you, everybody who said nice things in reply to my "Personal Announcement" post about my health issues.

Your Fort Eustis finds appear to be 20th Century 37 millimeter caliber US M59 Armor Piecing Ballistic Capped solid-shot projectiles. Yours have no fuze in the nose or base, so they are definitely solid-bodied -- not hollow explosive projectiles. The ballistic cap (sort of a nose-cone) is missing, and they appear to have been stripped of their copperbrass ring-sabot (a.k.a., "driving band"). Absolutely not from the civil war era. See the photo and diagram below. The photo shows the same bluntly tapered nose as yours, and I included the diagram because it shows the missing (hollow) "Ballistic Cap" nose-cone, even though that projectile's actual front end is more pointy than yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shell_WW2_37mm_Armor-Piercing-Capped_M59_cartridgecollectors.org_apc.jpg 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	1620213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram_37mm-Ballistic-Capped-Shot_WW2_cartridgecollectorsdotorg_aptypes3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	1620214  
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Aug 09, 2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typing error correction.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post

Thank you, everybody who said nice things in reply to my "Personal Announcement" post about my health issues.

Your Fort Eustis finds appear to be 20th Century 37 millimeter caliber US M59 Armor Piecing Ballistic Capped solid-shot projectiles. Yours have no fuze in the nose or base, so they are definitely solid-bodied -- not hollow explosive projectiles. The ballistic cap (sort of a nose-cone) is missing, and they appear to have been stripped of their copperbrass ring-sabot (a.k.a., "driving band"). Absolutely not from the civil war era. See the photo and diagram below. The photo shows the same bluntly tapered nose as yours, and I included the diagram because it shows the missing (hollow) "Ballistic Cap" nose-cone, even though the projectile's actual front end is more pointy than yours.
    Man, have I missed your input CBGuy, nice to see your post. And of course, question answered, and in detail. Which is good for a guy like me who would not have know the difference in that picture between a 37mm solid shot projectile and a monster fishing sinker.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    41217 times
    Very nice find.Congrats
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Jun 2018
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post

Your Fort Eustis finds appear to be 20th Century 37 millimeter caliber US M59 Armor Piecing Ballistic Capped solid-shot projectiles. Yours have no fuze in the nose or base, so they are definitely solid-bodied -- not hollow explosive projectiles. The ballistic cap (sort of a nose-cone) is missing, and they appear to have been stripped of their copperbrass ring-sabot (a.k.a., "driving band"). Absolutely not from the civil war era. See the photo and diagram below. The photo shows the same bluntly tapered nose as yours, and I included the diagram because it shows the missing (hollow) "Ballistic Cap" nose-cone, even though the projectile's actual front end is more pointy than yours.
    Thank you so much for your knowledge! It is greatly appreciated!

Also, thank you to everyone else who had some input.

There are a TON of these at the site.
    TheCannonballGuy likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links