Diamond in the rough?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Diamond in the rough?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Gold Bug II
    98 times
    Prospecting

Diamond in the rough?

Found this when classifying material in a stream... - specific gravity seems right, hardness seems right, color/hue and translucency seems right - but figured others out there may have found a few diamonds in the rough?

Let me know what you think 🤔

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D02994B8-F035-4996-89DF-955A57FA893A.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	1622027

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2516FF52-5BA7-4C3D-8DD7-DC446E2B02EF.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	1622028

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7687 times
    Metal Detecting
    No way to tell from your photos. Water will not cling to a diamond, so run it under water. If it's still dry, maybe. It is huge for a diamond, so my guess would be agate or perhaps topaz. Sapphires as you know are found in the mountain west, but again, that's a large example. Good luck.

As a disclaimer, I have never found a diamond, but have some knowledge in colored stones.
    rook3434 likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Gold Bug II
    98 times
    Prospecting
    Yea, when I run it under water it dries very quickly. I bought a diamond tester last year because my kids kept thinking they were finding diamonds, and it definitely likes the stone...however the settings on it are sensitive and I don’t feel confident I’m doing everything correctly to test it
    rook3434 likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    18967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't know, but in the 1980s I lived walking distance to the Arkansas river and I would pan it all the time. I found a stone I thought was a diamond and had a jeweler test it and he said I found a diamond. It was larger than a BB, but the color was exactly the same as that stone in your fingers. There was a particular pale green clay layer within the gravel and I wash that down and that's where I believe the diamond I found came from. I don't know what I did with the one I found, but I believe there's diamonds in the Arkansas River.
    rook3434 likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1714 times
    Metal Detecting
    How did you test for hardness and what did you get for SG?
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6704 times
    Although the pics are of little help, I still don't believe it is a Diamond. It is more likely Topaz, Golden Beryl or a Yellowish Sapphire.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6704 times
    tamrock... That pale green Clay layer was likely eroded Kimberlite from a Kimberlite (Volcanic) Pipe which contained/contains Diamonds.
    tamrock and Itsmine like this.

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Gold Bug II
    98 times
    Prospecting
    Attempting to find a jeweler close by to take it to today, will let you guys know

Mar 2014
    655 times
    You could always hit it with a torch and if it burns it WAS a diamond.
    Using Tapatalk

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    834 times
    Is the rock an octahedron or does it have a six-sided geometry? If six-sided, not likely a diamond. Looks good, though ... I hope it is one.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    46951 times
    Hope you get lucky.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Gold Bug II
    98 times
    Prospecting
    Didn’t get a chance to take it in yesterday, shooting for today . Shape is hard to determine as it’s not the same all the way around! But it appears to be more 4 sided than 6 sided. The difference I’m seeing between it and other genres like Topaz is the translucence/clarity factor - but I’m an amateur with gems.

Crazy thing is I was panning for gold and had literally just setup everything - nugget bucket, classifiers, etc. I take one shovel full, put it in the top classifier, pour in some water - and instantly that popped out at me. Panned for another 3-4 hours, found nothing
    tamrock likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    18967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    tamrock... That pale green Clay layer was likely eroded Kimberlite from a Kimberlite (Volcanic) Pipe which contained/contains Diamonds.
    That's what my research lead me to believe. When I dug into that layer I first thought that gold may have been trapped in it. It took a long time to mash that clay down and wash out what was in it. It had very little fragments of any courser material within it and none of it was gold. It had this one worn down octahederon clear brownish crystal in the pan and the jeweler used a heat tester on it. I can't find that little stone these days as it was in the mid 1980s I found it, but I do remember the location of that layer of clay.

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Gold Bug II
    98 times
    Prospecting
    Got it checked out by a jeweler yesterday - - he couldn’t tell me what it was. Said he had seen quite a few things over the years, but couldn’t pinpoint that one. Tried the diamond tester and it said it wasn’t a diamond - but it was the same tester as mine and it didn’t seem like he let it warm up or set it to the right temperature, hehe - so I’m taking it out with me this weekend to my property and going to have some of the old time miners check it out.

Ack!

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1466 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you get a chance have someone at the hospital or outpatient clinic X ray it. A real diamond doesn't show up at all on X ray due to the perfect (or near pefect) alignment of the carbon atoms. The ladies always bring me their rocks when the men propose to them to make sure its the real deal. X ray doesn't lie, its the gold standard for diamond testing in South Africa and worldwide. You probably have to have an "in" but i love doing non destructive testing of artifacts and "diamonds" for fun for friends.
    Reanm8er likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links