Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: 1898 Badge?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Ben from NH, the Z means nothing

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    5629 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    ... resembles some sort of Fire department emblem, tag, badge or insignia especially having the "Maltese Cross" shape, which is indicative of most FD symbols, emblems, badges and so on... "D"
    Firefighters would have a Florian Cross, St. Florian being their patron saint. It’s similar, but not one.
    Possum and Hawks88 like this.
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

Charter Member
    us
    “Never argue with a fool. Onlooker may not be able to tell the difference.” Mark Twain

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Compadre' and Tesoro Cortes.
    1490 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbenz View Post
    Firefighters would have a Florian Cross, St. Florian being their patron saint. It’s similar, but not one.
    Thanks nhbenz, I appreciate you correcting me and you're absolutely right, don't know why I had the Maltese cross stuck in my head, but I appreciate it and have corrected it in my aforementioned post, thanks again... "D"
    Last edited by Possum; Jan 08, 2019 at 04:10 AM.
    nhbenz likes this.

"Blessed is the Nation, who's God is the Lord!!!" Psalms 33:12

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

Founder / CEO of the "Indian Creek Historical Society"

Charter Member
    us
    “Never argue with a fool. Onlooker may not be able to tell the difference.” Mark Twain

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Compadre' and Tesoro Cortes.
    1490 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    Attachment 1668052
    Found at 1800’s dot in old woods near Pittsburgh. Anyone ever seen something like this?
    Don't know if this helps much, but "PGH" is the acronym used for Pittsburgh... "D"

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    5661 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Attachment 1668052
    Found at 1800s dot in old woods near Pittsburgh. Anyone ever seen something like this?
    What is it made out of?
    Hawks88 and nhbenz like this.
    It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    6139 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    What is it made out of?
    Thick brass

Charter Member
    us

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    1490 times
    Relic Hunting
    Name:  images0AK4ID4X.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  8.4 KB
    Thick brass

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    5661 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thick brass
    Was it found near the Davis Avenue Bridge bridge by any chance?
    It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5425 times
    Maybe it is a badge lost from a horse drawn Fire Engine from a Pittsburgh Fire Department Company or Battalion that responded to a call for help with a forest fire or large structure fire well South of Pittsburgh.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and Possum like this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    6139 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    Was it found near the Davis Avenue Bridge bridge by any chance?
    It was found in Crafton, a couple miles from Davis Ave.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    5661 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It was found in Crafton, a couple miles from Davis Ave.
    The reason I asked is I was showing that to a detecting buddy who is an engineer for the highway dept. He said it looked like an old spec plate to him. He emailed me wanting me to ask you about that bridge, which had the main piers spaced 157'-0" and was probably bridge # 4 in record. Plans for the bridge were layed out in the 1880s' and construction on that bridge was done by Fort Pitt Bridge Works in 1898.

He, said however, that most of the spec plates he has seen were usually cast iron rather than brass, and were usually affixed to the bridge. That original Davis Avenue bridge spanned over Wood's Run and is no longer in existence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 3.58.29 PM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	1669023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 3.56.56 PM.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	1669024  

us
    Sep 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Garrett AT Pro - NEL Sharpshooter & Thunder DD
    1067 times
    Metal Detecting
    It was a brutal hike but worth the trek. Looks like you guys are getting close to solving this mystery. I'm looking forward to hitting the dot I'm interested in.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    6139 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Headz View Post
    It was a brutal hike but worth the trek. Looks like you guys are getting close to solving this mystery. I'm looking forward to hitting the dot I'm interested in.
    That site was a treacherous hike. You need to post your recent finds and Sleepy Bear!
    Metal Headz and Possum like this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    White's DFX
    4913 times
    Could it have anything to do with Penn station in Pittsburgh? It was built 1898-1904. When I did a search for PGH, Pittsburgh and Union station (Penn) came up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_...n_(Pittsburgh)
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links