Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: MYSTERY ROCK

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2011
    2937 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    ...and yet...Egyptians could work granite...without power tools...

https://www.google.com/search?q=egyp...w=1368&bih=770

Jan 2019
    183 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Why do they make Dremel kits with carbide and diamond bits for sculpting stone if they don't work and just wear out?

https://www.amazon.com/Carving-Exper...ag=googhydr-20

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dremel Stone Sculpture Bits.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1691178

us
    Jan 2019
    Western Washington
    AT Pro, Whites 4900 D/L Max
    32 times
    Could have been sandblasted on site like this-

Jan 2019
    183 times
    D1

Thanks - Mucho interesting and well worth considering. I never even thought of such a possibility.

Jan 2019
    183 times
    But I'm definitely going to experiment with a professional grade Dremel kit if I don't have to pay a fortune for one or can find someone who can loan me theirs. I'm seeing a lot of stuff like what's in this attachment and have high hopes of success (maybe - time will tell)

Name:	Dremel Stone Carving.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	1691187

Jan 2019
    183 times
    I'm also going to ask around and see if I can find a contractor or someone who has one of these portable pneumatic generators. And if I can't find a pneumatic type, I suppose a portable electric generator will work just as well. But first I'm going to try a cordless Dremel with carbide or diamond bits and see how well that works.

Name:	Pneumatic Generator.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1691219

us
    Jan 2019
    Western Washington
    AT Pro, Whites 4900 D/L Max
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    I'm also going to ask around and see if I can find a contractor or someone who has one of these portable pneumatic generators. And if I can't find a pneumatic type, I suppose a portable electric generator will work just as well. But first I'm going to try a cordless Dremel with carbide or diamond bits and see how well that works.

Name:	Pneumatic Generator.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1691219
    That IS a portable electric generator in your pic. The brand name is Chicago "Pneumatic". I don't think you'll find a "pneumatic type" (never heard of one).

Aug 2014
    California
    De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
    1354 times
    Granite ... an hour and a half

Name:	CampoCarve.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	1691264

Name:	Carve1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	1691265
    I'm beginning to realize I've gone through life without knowing what anything is ...

Mar 2014
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    Railroad Spike Experiment

I won't be necessary to post before and after pictures of the experiment because I can more easily sum up the results in just two words ...

No Way!

I have about a dozen granite boulders in my back yard of varying degrees of hardness that range from crumbly to hard-as-steel. I experimented on a half-dozen of them and it didn't take very long to discover that a sharpened railroad spike barely scratched the hard-as-steel rocks. The results were the same when I used a sharpened cold chisel. After finding what I call a Goldilocks rock (not too hard and not too soft but just right) I attempted to chisel simple straight lines but in every instance the results were the same in that flakes/chunks of granite kept breaking away from the lines, creating a total mess. I finally gave up the experiment and decided to visit the Mystery Rock again for an even closer examination of the carving than I have done in the past to try and determine if there was something I might have overlooked. What jumped out at me this time was the fact there are literally no flakes/chunks of granite missing anywhere on the design. Plus, the depth of the grooves are consistently the same in just about every instance and are relatively smooth to the touch. All things considered, I am now convinced the carving on the Mystery Rock was not done with either a sharpened railroad spike nor a chisel of any type. In fact, I no longer believe it was done with a router either. So what does that leave that could have achieved such an intricate and controlled pattern on the rock that didn't cause flakes/chunks of granite to break away from the carving?

A Dremel

Even though I have not experimented with a Dremel yet (but intend to) I have reason to believe the results will be more than satisfactory. I will even take this a step further and go out on a limb by saying it wouldn't surprise me if the Dremel used was battery operated. Part of my thinking is that its easy to romanticize the rock as having been carved eons ago by an indigenous people and that the design is some type of celestial message. But when it comes down to examining the evidence, theories of that type just don't hold water, at least not for me. I'm more inclined to accept something along the lines of Occam's Razor in that the simplest answer is likely the right answer.

So, with all of the above said, I researched the history of Dremels, as well as the history of cordless, battery operated tools, and discovered the following ...

Dremel

Attachment 1691142

Cordless / Battery Operated Hand Tools

Attachment 1691143

With Occam's Razor in mind, the bottom line for me is that the Mystery Rock was likely created no more than 25 years ago, and possibly less that 15 years ago by someone using a cordless Dremel who was skilled and/or talented enough to create the design with relative ease. If in doubt of my inconclusive conclusion, all I can suggest is to perform your own experiments with various chisels and I think you might agree there is no way that such an intricate design can be achieved with those types of tools on a granite rock.

But there is still one aspect that has not been addressed yet as far as dating the carving is concerned; which involves patina. All you have to do is look at any one of the numerous pictures of the rock I have posted and you should be able to notice that the patina in the carved grooves and the patina on the rock's surface are the same. When it was originally carved the grooves were no doubt lighter in color and developed a patina over time. But just how long it takes for that patina to develop, I don't know just yet but will try and find out.

(To be continued)
    I can already tell I am going to regret even getting involved with this conversation but Occam’s razor would say that it was probably carved 100 years ago, like the museum said. Probably by the railroad folks and probably with a chisel. Humans have been cutting, shaping, carving, hewing, engraving granite since the dawn of time and doing it very precisely with all kinds of rudimentary tools. Look a toothed chisels or carbide chisels. They are specifically made for that kind of work. Hell. Go to your local cemetery and look in the older sections. You will probably see countless carved granite stones. And guess what.... all done by chisel. All it takes is training. In the case of your rock, You can bet those railroad men could drill a piece of granite with a chisel. Probably a hell of a lot faster than you think. Technique is everything and tunneling through a mountain will give you all the experience you could ever want.

So to recap... you have men with the training, experience, skill set, and tools at hand to cut that rock in that location in the time period it was said to be cut. Seems like a slam dunk to me. A dremel makes no sense, that much stock removal would burn a dremel out in no time. Heavy pneumatic equipment takes heavier support equipment. Not to mention a recent cutting with a power tool would be fairly obvious. There would be almost no weathering. Even in a decade you wouldn’t see much erosion. That’s it. That’s all I’ve got. Railroad men with a chisel.
    unclemac likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Aug 2014
    California
    1354 times
    Air supply would be easy if one was so inclined.

Name:	Compressors.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	1691328

Way too much material to remove with Dremel bits.
    The rock I carved was scaled to the size of Dremel work.
    Only used two bits ... completely wore out the larger diamond bit ... it's worn down to steel and wants to make sparks.
    The smaller bit has a little life left, but the sharpness of its edge is gone.

You'd go through a lot of bits ... lots ... to cut the grooves on the large rock.
    The tools need to scale with the amount of rock to be removed and the Dremel is the right tool for small work, not something this large.
    I'm beginning to realize I've gone through life without knowing what anything is ...

Mar 2014
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug N Play View Post
    Air supply would be easy if one was so inclined.

Name:	Compressors.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	1691328

Way too much material to remove with Dremel bits.
    The rock I carved was scaled to the size of Dremel work.
    Only used two bits ... completely wore out the larger diamond bit ... it's worn down to steel and wants to make sparks.
    The smaller bit has a little life left, but the sharpness of its edge is gone.

You'd go through a lot of bits ... lots ... to cut the grooves on the large rock.
    The tools need to scale with the amount of rock to be removed and the Dremel is the right tool for small work, not something this large.
    Haha. A home sized air compressor would never be able to run something like a jackhammer. Hell the ones shown will barely run an air wrench. We are talking one of the ones on a trailer that has an 1 1/4 air line. Maybe then you could supply enough air to one of those hogs. Not to mention that would still necessitate it have happened in the fairly recent past. It is “possible” that something like that could have been around and it could have been done by workers when the highway went in. But ehhhh I can imagine the foreman getting pretty pissed if they were doing it during the day or if the heavy equipment was fired up at night (if the road crew had a camp) which I would also doubt.
    Using Tapatalk

Jan 2019
    183 times
    I appreciate all of the recent comments and thank those who posted them. Like I have said in the past; every little bit helps. As much as I would like to declare this mystery as SOLVED, neither my opinions and speculations, or those of others, have provided enough indisputable evidence to reach that conclusion. And if I did declare it as solved based on the current evidence and say the rock was carved by railroad workers in 1915, then someone would likely ask me how I knew that for certain and would probably want some type of proof to support that declaration. But as it stands now, I can not provide that proof and don't know anyone who can. So I feel I have no other option than to keep looking for answers in the hope that something eventually presents itself that will solve the mystery once and for all. If anyone who reads this has the proof that's needed, please share it with us and I will put this thread to bed. In the meantime I guess I will just keep plugging along and hopefully stumble onto something indisputable that everyone can agree on. As much as I dislike repeating this, the one thing more than anything else I'm having a problem with is the fact that no one knew of the rock's existence until six years ago. Even some of the locals I have been discussing this with think its possible the rock could have been there for 50 years or more and not discovered until just recently. But the truth is, they can offer no proof to support their opinions. All they have to go on is pure speculation. I'm sorry but at this juncture its going to take a lot more than speculation and best guess scenarios to convince me the rock has been there for more than about 15 years - and possibly even less than that!

Jan 2019
    183 times
    Another Mystery?

The utility poles in the attached pic end where you see the ground cable and are located about 100 feet below the grinding holes. There is a 1968 date tag nailed to pole in the foreground. None of the poles show any evidence of ever having cross arms and I currently have no idea why it just ends where it does. Nor do I currently know exactly what purpose it served. The lines you see are stranded cables and not wires and appear to be for some type of support. It goes all of the way to the old highway. At the lower end its about 100 feet east of the Mystery Rock. But regardless of the poles purpose, the main reason I'm posting it is to point out just one example of the activity that took place in the immediate area of the Mystery Rock. Because of the 1968 date tag, I'm assuming that was when the poles were either set or last inspected. If the crew who set the poles happened to stumble onto the Mystery Rock during the project, I have to believe they would have told someone and that their discovery would have spread like wildfire. In 1968 I was a junior at the nearby high school and would likely have heard about the discovery if word of it had been circulating. But no one I know (and I have talked with a lot of people who grew up in the area) ever heard about the rock until just a few years ago.

Name:	100_5635.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	1691418
    Last edited by Sodabob; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

Jan 2019
    183 times
    I posted this pic earlier but thought I'd post it again to reiterate how much in the open the Mystery Rock is. The rock is the one you see by itself in the lower center. The old highway is about 100 feet to the left (north) of the rock. Between the rock and the highway is an open area large enough to drive a tank through. This is another example of why I am having a problem believing no one ever came across the rock if it had been there (carved) more than a few years ago. The next time I'm down there (possibly today) I will take some pictures while standing on the old highway and show you how the rock can be seen from that location and easily walked to.

Name:	Mystery Rock in open area (2).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1691429

Aug 2014
    California
    1354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmox View Post
    Haha. A home sized air compressor would never be able to run something like a jackhammer. Hell the ones shown will barely run an air wrench. We are talking one of the ones on a trailer that has an 1 1/4 air line. Maybe then you could supply enough air to one of those hogs. Not to mention that would still necessitate it have happened in the fairly recent past.
    The compressors are an example of a small way to carry an air supply to a remote site.
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to run anything very large.
    Rotary tools can run efficiently with less air.

Name:	Pneumatics.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1691414
    Last edited by Plug N Play; Mar 16, 2019 at 05:50 PM.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links