Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: MYSTERY ROCK

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2019
    144 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Back-of-the-boat

Howdy neighbor

I live in the area and will gladly take you to the rock sometime if you're interested. Just send me a PM and we'll make arrangements. But lets wait until it stops raining or possibly next spring

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    Back-of-the-boat

Howdy neighbor

I live in the area and will gladly take you to the rock sometime if you're interested. Just send me a PM and we'll make arrangements. But lets wait until it stops raining or possibly next spring
    I live up by Fresno now.But if I come down to visit any family I'll PM you.
    back of the boat

Jan 2019
    144 times
    Sounds good! I will look forward to it.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    4419 times
    Perhaps it's just art for the purpose of making you stop and scratch your head.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Southern Ontario
    XP Deus 4.1 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    4493 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My thoughts are, since the carvings are on the 'top of the stone' and extend around to the 'back', that it was likely mounted in an upright position at some point in time. I also see the symbols as being Indigenous in nature, I also see signs of weathering and age. I think this was likely a trail marker for the local inhabitants thousands of years ago.

I would suggest that you repost this thread in the Tnet Artifacts Forum here...
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/

Many distinct Native American tribes populated thesouthwest region of the current United States, starting in about 7000 BCE.

•The Ancestral Pueblo tribes—the Anasazi, Mogollon, and Hohokam—began farming in the region as early as 2000 BCE, producing anabundance of corn. Navajos and Apaches primarily hunted and gathered in thearea.

•These ancient southwestern tribes deserted the area around 1300 CE, probably due to crop failures; European colonists encountered a group of people partially descended from the Ancestral Pueblos in the mid-1500s.

The Anasazi, sometimes called the Ancestral Pueblos, residedin the Four Corners region — where Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizonameet; the Mogollon lived mostly in southwestern New Mexico; and the Hohokam dominated the desert of southern Arizona. Historians estimate that these threetribes reigned over the region from approximately 200-1500 CE, and either dissolved or evolved into the Pueblo Indians—whom the Spanish encountered and who still reside in modern New Mexico. They have also transformed into the Zuniand Hopi tribes. The Apache and Navajo tribes arrived in the Pueblo regionaround 1200 CE from the Pacific Northwest and remained distinct from the Pueblo people living in the region.

Chaco Canyon, a center for the Anasazi people, was home toover twelve thousand people and became a trade hub. The Chacoans, a branch ofthe Anasazi people living in the canyon, created over four hundred miles ofroads that connected the town to other disparate villages in the region. The Chacoans mostly traded away turquoise, traveling west for sea shells from California, south for exotic birds from Central America, and north for minerals and ores from the Rocky Mountains.

Best of luck to you in your research Bob,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5377.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	802.1 KB 
ID:	1671282  
    Last edited by ANTIQUARIAN; Jan 15, 2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Grammer
    coinman123 likes this.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    18445 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That is really cool
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    18445 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome to tnet Tommy
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    1002 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm pretty sure it's a diagram for a flux capacitor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flux.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1671359
    Last edited by Doubter in MD; Jan 15, 2019 at 02:03 PM.

us
    Oct 2011
    2902 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The only thing they determined with any certainty is that the carvings were done with some type of steel tool such as a chisel...so no, no chance it was Native American anything....
    IowaRelic likes this.

Jan 2019
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    The only thing they determined with any certainty is that the carvings were done with some type of steel tool such as a chisel...so no, no chance it was Native American anything....
    Correcto-mundo! I will have to check with the Historical Society Museum curator again but I seem to recall that the archaeologist who examined it found micro evidence of steel embedded in the rock such as a chisel might leave. I definitely recall the curator telling me the archaeologist determined that because of the intricate design there was no way that it was done by primitive hands. As I said previously, the archaeologist presented two possible theories ...

1. That it was carved by a Railroad worker in 1916 when the Rail Line was built
    2. That it was carved by a member of the military from the nearby camp during WWII

The main question the Museum people are trying to find an answer to is ...

1. Is the design whimsical or is it from some yet-to-be-determined identifiable source?
    Last edited by Sodabob; Jan 15, 2019 at 05:02 PM.

Jan 2019
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubter in MD View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a diagram for a flux capacitor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flux.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1671359
    DIM

What you're calling a "Flux Capacitor" is probably the most distinctive design on the entire rock. If someone can determine its origin (if it has one ?) then it might lead to other clues and possibly solve the mystery.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Southern Ontario
    XP Deus 4.1 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    4493 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    For comparison... just saying, these look awfully similar to what you've got there Bob.

"Petroglyphs Provincial Park is a historical-class provincial park situated in Woodview,Ontario, Canada, northeast of Peterborough. It has the largest collection of ancient First Nations petroglyphs in Ontario, Canada.

The stone is generally believed to have been carved by the Algonkian or Iroquian speakingpeople between 900 and 1100 AD., if not somewhat earlier during the Archaic.Today, the First Nations people of Ontario call the carvings Kinomagewapkong, meaning "the rocks that teach" or "the Teaching Rocks". Originally two to three inches deep the 1200 carvings were made using gneiss hammers to incise human figures, animals, and a dominant figure whose head apparently represents the sun, onto the soft, gently sloping walls.

According to the Learning Center, while the glyphs are important, they are not the primary reason this site is sacred. The rock site itself is a sacred place. And today is a place of pilgrimage for local Ojibway people. The deep crevices in therock are believed to lead to the spirit world, as there is an underground trickle of water that runs beneath the rock which produces sounds interpreted by aboriginal people as those of the Spirits speaking to them."

- Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f1e112f0941bac32f0f67f817799e8d6--peterborough-rock-art.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	1671394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	745bdfd9896dd98d371a57f02a7d67dd--cave-painting-peterborough.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1671395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petroglyphs-canada.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	1671396  
    Last edited by ANTIQUARIAN; Jan 15, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
    2415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    DIM

What you're calling a "Flux Capacitor" is probably the most distinctive design on the entire rock. If someone can determine its origin (if it has one ?) then it might lead to other clues and possibly solve the mystery.
    Howdy, neighbor. I'm from up in Valley Center way (part time, part time in Yuma as well). Just a guess on my part, but I would say that more likely someone from the Military camp. It looks like it would have taken quite a while to finish the project, and most likely a railroad worker would have not stayed in the area for long enough to finish the project. Unless of course, it is near something like the Carrizo Gorge trestle, which took a while to finish, I suspect. Also, in my experience, the military often had some extra time on their hands. Or, it could have just been a local resident....I don't recognize anything specific (or at least anything I can definitely tie to any particular source), but it is interesting. The "Flux Capacitor" looks kind of like a stick figure without arms, from one of the views. Stay dry.

JB

JB
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
    2415 times
    Interesting that in most of the pictures, the design seems to be incised into the rock, but in a couple of them it appears to be in relief.... a trick of the camera, I suppose?

JB

Jan 2019
    144 times
    Thanks for all the observations

One thing I forgot to mention is that the military facility also maintained an Italian prisoner of war camp in the area. Apparently some of the Italian prisoners were allowed a little freedom to help on some of the everyday projects. They even built a small Virgin Mary shrine embedded in rock that is still there today, but is a good mile away from the mystery rock. Maybe the design has an Italian connection.
    Last edited by Sodabob; Jan 15, 2019 at 06:05 PM.
    travis.gore.79 likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links