Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: MYSTERY ROCK

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2009
    Indiana
    Fisher F70
    1301 times
    Could the large Y in the center been used as a mold?

I am wondering what sort of impression would be left if the rock was rolled?

What method was used to determine the carving was done with metal tools? Was this recent? Methodology has came a long way in the last 20 years to determine authenticity of indian relics.

Interesting rock for sure.

Jan 2019
    187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just fooling around with a great big question mark?

Name:  Mystery Rock (5).jpg
Views: 246
Size:  80.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Rock Phoenician Alphbet.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1672407

Jan 2019
    187 times
    Interpretation according to various sources

Name:  Mystery Rock (6).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  84.2 KB

us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    1279 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    Interpretation according to various sources

Name:  Mystery Rock (6).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  84.2 KB
    Translated .....
    “ Build the Wall”
    Lol

Jan 2019
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flyadive View Post
    Translated .....
    “ Build the Wall”
    Lol

... "with a big beautiful door in it" (Lol)

I spoke with the museum curator yesterday and will tell you about the conversation we had in a few days. I'd do it now, but I'm heading out the door to go to a friend's house to watch the NFL championship games - and starting tomorrow I will be out of town for a few days. So please stay tuned because I found something near the Mystery Rock two days ago that might interest everyone.

us
    Oct 2011
    3067 times
    notice too how the carvings on the face extend down the sides....this is not a feature on typical petroglyphs.

us
    Nov 2011
    Purgatory
    Pulsegarrettmasterpro2rabbit'sfoot
    2031 times
    Almost looks like a type of magic/occult/ angelic writing sigil, but it seems to have too many geometric features/characters. No ancient culture/ nor occult type thing I have run accross.
    Last edited by Quinoa; Jan 23, 2019 at 03:13 AM.

Jan 2019
    187 times
    Here's the "something" I found near the Mystery Rock the other day. When I picked it up I noticed it was quite heavy and thought it was a Meteorite. When I got home and did some research and discovered it is not a Meteorite but a piece of Slag. The long story short is that Slag is debris left over from foundries and is used for Highway and Railroad foundations. It has a lot of iron in it that a magnet sticks to. Apparently one of the main (noticeable) differences between Meteorites and Slag is that Slag has holes in it created by exploding bubbles, whereas meteorites don't have the obvious hole. And because there is a Highway and Railroad nearby, I'm confident it came from one of those sources.

By the way, I have another so called "something" I came across in my research of the Mystery Rock symbols that I will share in my next post ...

Name:	100_5427.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	1673742
    RGINN likes this.

Jan 2019
    187 times
    You may recall my having said earlier that the Y symbol on the Mystery Rock might be significant. So I focused all of my research on it in an attempt to find a Y symbol with rounded ends or what might be circles. I'm still in the preliminary phase of this, but notice the rounded/circle ends on the letters, especially the Y, on this Phoenician coin. There are variation coins that are similar, but this particular example is referred to a "Shekel of Tyre" and dates to about 200 BC. Examples in descent condition sell for about $1,000.

Compare the Y on the Mystery Rock to the Y on the coin. Also notice that all/most of the letters on the coin have round/circle ends. [ Click to enlarge ]

Name:  Mystery Rock (4).jpg
Views: 185
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:	Mystery Rock Phoenician Shekel of Tyre Coin.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	1673764

Name:	Mystery Rock Phoenician Tyre Coin (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1673765
    Last edited by Sodabob; Jan 23, 2019 at 06:44 PM.
    RGINN likes this.

Jan 2019
    187 times
    P.S.

The letters on the Phoenician coins with the round/circle ends is the only artifact of any type I have been able to find that has those characteristics.

Jan 2019
    187 times
    If you didn't think I was off my rocker before, you probably will now. As it turns out, there is a Phoenician coin with an OWL on it. With that said, look at the Y on the Mystery Rock and notice its outlined in what might be the shape of an owl ...

Name:  Mystery Rock (7).jpg
Views: 147
Size:  62.9 KB

[ Phoenicia Tyre Owl Coin ~ circa 350 BC ]

Name:	Mystery Rock Phoenicia Tyre Owl circa 300 BC.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	1673828

Jan 2019
    187 times
    Just fooling around ~ I like visuals ~ Plus I'm hoping the attachment can be enlarged by clicking on it ~ Some don't depending on the original size ...

Name:	Mystery Rock (9).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	1673839
    Last edited by Sodabob; Jan 23, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
    BIGSCOTT likes this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    7210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    Here's the "something" I found near the Mystery Rock the other day. When I picked it up I noticed it was quite heavy and thought it was a Meteorite. When I got home and did some research and discovered it is not a Meteorite but a piece of Slag. The long story short is that Slag is debris left over from foundries and is used for Highway and Railroad foundations. It has a lot of iron in it that a magnet sticks to. Apparently one of the main (noticeable) differences between Meteorites and Slag is that Slag has holes in it created by exploding bubbles, whereas meteorites don't have the obvious hole. And because there is a Highway and Railroad nearby, I'm confident it came from one of those sources.
    Bob - If you found this chunk near the tracks and you didn't find lots and lots of it, I suspect it is a coal 'clinker' from the firebox of a steam locomotive that likely ran to the nearby military base well into the 1940's.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

Jan 2019
    187 times
    DC

I plan to go there soon and look along the highway and railroad tracks and see if I can find any more of the slag/clinkers. The highway is about 100 yards from the Mystery Rock and the rail line is about 200 yards away.

Here's another visual with the letter Y from the Tyre coin inserted next to the Y on the Mystery Rock. Please note I am not suggesting the carving was done in 300 BC but that the original carver might have known something about ancient history and used its influence to create the carving.

Name:	Mystery Rock (4).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	1674000

us
    Oct 2011
    3067 times
    i think it is a doodle. your carver was not all that skilled, he made lines and dots, no recognizable forms or words...it looks like random work to me. without meaning...practice as it were.
    coinman123 likes this.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links