Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: MYSTERY ROCK

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    5126 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Maybe there is something either buried under the rock, or so many paces along the line from whence the Y points to?

Jan 2019
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    Maybe there is something either buried under the rock, or so many paces along the line from whence the Y points to?
    The museum people and I are thinking the same thing and plan to dig under the rock when its moved. I have done a little metal detecting already but didn't find anything except some junk like twist-off bottle caps and stuff like that. However, my smartphone compass acted a little weird when I set it directly on the rock. But what might have caused that, I don't know. The compass didn't act up when I held it away from the rock.

us
    Oddball

Jun 2017
    Bakersfield, CA
    Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
    105 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    Even though the following may not be directly related to the Mystery Rock, it has me slightly puzzled and I could use some help dating a bullet shell casing I found in the vicinity the other day. (See pics). I already researched it and based on what I found the casing dates to 1912 or earlier. And its the "earlier" part that I'm trying to narrow down and need some help with. The base of the casing is stamped with ...

38 S&W SP'L UMC

According to my research, the S&W stands for "Smith & Wesson" and the UMC stands for "United Metallic Cartridge Company." Apparently S&W and UMC merged in 1912 and any cartridges made from 1912 and later were stamped with "REM." My casing does not have "REM" stamped on it. Hence, I'm thinking it was made in 1912 or earlier. If this is accurate, I'm hoping there is some way to determine a more precise date. I don't necessarily want to start a new thread about it, but will if no one who sees it here has the answer. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

The casing measures 1 1/8" inch long or 2.9 MM
    .38 Special was introduced in 1898. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Apr 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    850 times
    how far is this rock from an electrical cord
    Just asking?
    Brady

Jan 2019
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmateo View Post
    how far is this rock from an electrical cord
    Just asking?
    Brady
    ?

Um, ah, the nearest "Power Line" is about 200 yards to the north of the rock

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    6923 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodabob View Post
    The museum people and I are thinking the same thing and plan to dig under the rock when its moved. I have done a little metal detecting already but didn't find anything except some junk like twist-off bottle caps and stuff like that. However, my smartphone compass acted a little weird when I set it directly on the rock. But what might have caused that, I don't know. The compass didn't act up when I held it away from the rock.
    Make sure the cameras are rolling when you move the rock and dig underneath! It will be just like when Geraldo opened Capone's secret vault!
    Last edited by DCMatt; Feb 06, 2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Eye maid a mist ache.
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka
    : You got it, that's Catch-22.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

us
    May 2010
    No. Cal.
    XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
    2238 times
    Sodabob,
    I think what sanmateo was getting at is using power tools to make the rock

Jan 2019
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDog View Post
    Sodabob,
    I think what sanmateo was getting at is using power tools to make the rock

The nearest electrical outlet is about 1/4 mile away. I have been down there numerous times studying the carved-out design and suspect that part of it might have been done with a steel file. The reason I say that is because there are almost no small chunks of granite missing along the lines, which occurred when I tried a hammer and chisel on a large granite rock near where I live. If the design on the Mystery Rock was done with a chisel, I have to believe it was a super-small chisel and done with great care and a lot of time.

Jan 2019
    185 times
    Here'a a pic of the rock again so you won't have to back-scroll-click to see it ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Rock (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	1678163

Jan 2019
    185 times
    I just got back from our local museum's monthly board meeting (I'm not a member but they invited me to attend) and they passed a resolution to move the Mystery Rock as soon as possible. But they still need to work out the details as to exactly how to proceed - including the hiring of a heavy equipment operator, etc. But before any of that can be done they need to do a preliminary excavation of the rock to determine exactly how deep it is in the ground and what type of equipment will be necessary to move it. I will probably be involved in most of those projects but already know the rock is embedded at least two feet deep and possibly deeper if it angles to a point underneath it. The only digging I have done was with my bare hands because they don't want any shovel work done until the green light is given from the County who owns the property as part of a state highway easement. Other than that I don't have much more to report other than I and others are still trying to solve the mystery as to the who, how, and when the rock was inscribed. At the board meeting this afternoon it was pointed out that part of the inscription around the Y symbol kind of looks like a skull, but that too was inconclusive as has been the case with most everything else about it. I'm currently researching the history of the state highway that runs near the rock and hoping to find a possible connection with that. I've just started my research on that aspect and only know that the highway was dirt between 1904 and 1928 when it was first paved. There is evidence of drilling and blasting along the roadway but I'm not sure yet if that factors in. I will report back again when any progress is made on the moving project and/or if/when anything new is discovered. As it stands now its still a total mystery!
    RGINN and T.C. like this.

Dec 2006
    2035 times
    interesting rock,
    maybe a pacific crest trail, thru hiker with lots of time
    do the wave lines look like the outline of the hills/mountains in the area

Jan 2019
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0909 View Post
    interesting rock,
    maybe a pacific crest trail, thru hiker with lots of time
    do the wave lines look like the outline of the hills/mountains in the area
    There are hills and mountains in every direction surrounding the rock. But connecting the wavy lines to a specific hill would be next to impossible. The general consensus is that wavy lines represent water. There is a creek about 200 yards away, but its still inconclusive if anything on the rock definitely refers to the creek. Stay tuned and I will tell you what I found underneath the rock this afternoon.

Jan 2019
    185 times
    If you read what I posted yesterday you will recall my saying that the County Museum did not want me to do any shovel digging until we got the green light from the powers that be. Well, what I didn't tell you is that they gave me permission to probe under the rock with a steel rod to determine if it was free-floating or possibly the cap of a much larger rock. They also gave me permission to do some bare hand digging. Which I did to a depth of about 2' feet. In trying to determine the very bottom of the rock, I dug underneath it on one side. In doing this I had to bend my elbow underneath the rock about a foot or so to scoop out the dirt. And lo and behold if my finger tips didn't come up against the object pictured below. Yep, its a Railroad spike! And, like I just said, it was a good foot directly under the rock. Now, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I find it mighty interesting that the width of the spike is exactly the same with of some of the carved out areas. On my way home I stopped and showed the museum curator what I had found and he was as excited as I was and will likely display the spike at the museum as a possible tie-in with the rock. Of course we acknowledge the possibility that the spike could have been left by anyone at anytime, but what are the odds that an earlier digger would have left the spike underneath the rock? I don't know how long it takes for an iron spike to corrode underground, but the one I found had about 1/8" inch of flaky rust on it before I cleaned it up a bit. But what you see in the attached pic is the way I intend to leave it without doing any more cleaning. The 'bumps' are all that's left of the 1/8" inch of flaky rust that started falling off the moment I removed it from the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Rock Railroad Spike February 11, 2019.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	642.0 KB 
ID:	1680047

Jan 2019
    185 times
    P.S.

I forgot to mention that any more digging around the rock will be done under strict guidelines such as marking it off in a grid and sifting every speck of dirt through a screen before eventually moving it. I will participate in all aspects of the project and hoping to find the hammer that went with the spike.
    Relichunter1 likes this.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 4.1 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    5062 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thank you very much for the update on your 'Mystery Rock' Bob.
    Firstly, an iron railroad spike is not hard enough to carve a granite rock... if it actually is granite.
    If the rock is a softer stone, then the 'artist' could have used the spike as a carving tool.

My gut feeling is that this stone was originally standing vertically in the ground, this is why 1/3 of the base is void of carving.
    This would also explain why you coincidentally found the iron spike "underneath the stone".

My contention remains, that this is a Native American carved piece.
    It probably marked the location of a place of spiritual importance to the local tribes, potentially identifying a burial or burning site for the deceased spirits.

Dave
    Wild-Bill likes this.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links