Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Laneely84

Thread: Old button

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2019
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old button

Can anyone give me any information on the age and value of a button? It was dug out of my grandparents back yard in northern wv. It appears to be smooth on the front but the back is marked “warranted rich Orange” . Any pointer on cleaning it or should I leave in this condition? Thanks for all the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	703BDCBB-70C5-4215-8CE8-AAC0BD72C329.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	1698137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE8EA5F4-B9B1-4B1F-A120-C075487A7E11.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1698138  
    vpnavy likes this.

us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    12912 times
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Laneely84! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
    2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 4.1 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    5607 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice find Lane and welcome to Tnet from Toronto!
    This is a mid-19thc coat or shirt button, it was originally gold-plated and is most likely British-made.

From TheCannonballGuy: "You found what button collectors call a brass 1-piece flat-button, a type which was manufactured for civilian usage, not military. The great majority we find here in America date from the late-1700s to about 1840. Your button's backmark saying "Warranted Rich Orange" means it is British-made. "Warranted" is Brit-speak for guaranteed, and "Orange" refers to the color of the gold-plating (gilt) which was applied to it. Brass 1-piece flat-buttons with a raised-lettering backmark date from about 1790 to 1840... and ones which have an indented-lettering backmark (like yours) began to show up a bit later, about 1810, and continued to be made into the 1840s. Brass 1-piece flat-buttons fell out of favor with the public by the end of the 1830s, due to the advent of machinery which could mass-produce inexpensive "ornate" (fancy-design) 2-piece brass buttons."

The value of this piece, is that 50 years from now it will still remind you of your grandparents.
    Dave
    Last edited by ANTIQUARIAN; Apr 02, 2019 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Info added
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    5411 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice find !
    Common civilian flat button.
    Early to mid 1800s
    Not much value to it .
    Gary
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Feb 2017
    527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G.A.P.metal View Post
    Nice find !
    Common civilian flat button.
    Early to mid 1800s
    Not much value to it .
    Gary
    I second the above. These gilt buttons were an early English mass export from the London area.

Greats Namxat

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links