Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By DigDug216
  • 8 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 1 Post By DigDug216

Thread: Cross Cannons Artillary Uniform Pin... What Time Period?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    91 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Cross Cannons Artillary Uniform Pin... What Time Period?

Please, I need help identifying what time period this cross cannons pin was worn. I found this in the backyard of a Victorian house that is on the campus of Mitchell College in Statesville. During the Civil War, Stoneman's Raid came through Statesville and the 4,0000 troops set up camp at Mitchell College. I'm finding a lot of Victorian era relics in this yard. This particular cross cannon pin has round cannon balls coming part way out of the cannon. I notice some pins online have nothing coming out of the cannon. I'm not sure if that is what gives away the time period or not. My question is, what time period is this from? Is this part of Stoneman's Raid or is it a later period? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190402_211302.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1698761

Name:	20190402_204949.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	1698767

Name:	20190402_212254.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	1698769

Name:	20190402_210558.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	1698770
    Last edited by DigDug216; Apr 03, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
    gold boy, Radon and A2coins like this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    8193 times
    Relic Hunting
    The "crosspin" for attachment on your US Artillery insignia's back means it is from sometime after the end of the civil war.

A distinguishing characteristic of 1800's US Army Artillery crossed-cannons METAL insignia is the presence of two parallel lifting-handles (which resemble the fancy brackets on your keyboard) at the center of the upper cannon's barrel. Another time-dating characteristic to look for is, those handles become "faint" after the civil war. They disappear entirely in 1902. I can't be 100% certain from viewing your photos, but your find seems to lack the handles. If so, it is a Collar insignia dates from 1902-1905, which technically is World War One era. If the handles are present but faint, your find is a Hat insignia which dates from 1872-1895... Indian Wars era into the Spanish-American War era.

Significantly, your insignia does NOT show any trace of having had a regimental number broken off broken off its main body. That too is an important ID-clue.

You can view many photos showing the "Evolution of US Army Artillery Insignia" and its evolving insignia designs at the webpage with that name, here:
    Evolution of U.S. Army Artillery Insignia
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Apr 03, 2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added some info.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    The "crosspin" for attachment on your US Artillery insignia's back means it is from sometime after the end of the civil war.

A distinguishing characteristic of 1800's US Army Artillery crossed-cannons METAL insignia is the presence of two parallel lifting-handles (which resemble the fancy brackets on your keyboard) at the center of the upper cannon's barrel. Another time-dating characteristic to look for is, those handles become "faint" after the civil war. They disappear entirely in 1902. I can't be 100% certain from viewing your photos, but your find seems to lack the handles. If so, it is a Collar insignia dates from 1902-1905, which technically is World War One era. If the handles are present but faint, your find is a Hat insignia which dates from 1872-1895... Indian Wars era into the Spanish-American War era.

Significantly, your insignia does NOT show any trace of having had a regimental number broken off broken off its main body. That too is an important ID-clue.

You can view many photos showing the "Evolution of US Army Artillery Insignia" and its evolving insignia designs at the webpage with that name, here:
    Evolution of U.S. Army Artillery Insignia
    Thank you sir. You are correct that there are no handles - if by handles you mean the oval lines (ive seen other shapes too) in the middle, where the cannons cross each other. Its completely smooth with no detail there. Everything I'm digging at the site seems Victorian period.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23933 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Greatt ID and awesome find
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links