Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Image on love token

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    #BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,556
    2681 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Water drops. Pretty much everything else is water/drops/splash from the trout or salmon leaping.

    And I haven't anything to drink this morning... yet... 'cept coffee...
    Your hypothesis is as good as any but the perfectly round engravings that look like bells on a jesters outfit are kind of evenly spaced and each one is at the end of something. the problem here is the shallow engravings have worn away and we are only seeing the deep ones. It has also shows scrape line damage.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown bells.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	1708960
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 03, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

  2. #17
    us
    #BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,556
    2681 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I think we are seeing another one here and I think there are more than 5. Water droplets? Jester bells? Sleigh bells? I think its solvable. Its just gonna take time and interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unkown bells.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	1708968  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 03, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

  3. #18
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8,127
    7426 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    Your hypothesis is as good as any but the perfectly round engravings that look like bells on a jesters outfit are kind of evenly spaced and each one is at the end of something. the problem here is the shallow engravings have worn away and we are only seeing the deep ones. It has also shows scrape line damage.
    I'm still confident it is a fish. The perfectly round engravings were done with a punch like most of the other elements of the design, not hand drawn. They're drops at the end of the splash or the end of a fin on the fish.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rybak-rybalka-ryba-vsplesk.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	1710142

    I did an image search on 'antique angling club pins' and there are lots of them with the leaping fish motif as you can imagine - even some with water drops around the fish.

    My biggest problem with the jester bell theory is 'why?'. We know there were many many angling clubs who put a fish on their club badge, but I don't know of any club that might put a jester on their badge - unless it's a joke. (See what I did there...? Jester... Joke...) OK, I'll stop.

    Occam's razor suggests it is a fishing club pin.
    nagant likes this.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

  4. #19
    us
    #BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,556
    2681 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post



    My biggest problem with the jester bell theory is 'why?'. We know there were many many angling clubs who put a fish on their club badge, but I don't know of any club that might put a jester on their badge - unless it's a joke. (See what I did there...? Jester... Joke...) OK, I'll stop.

    Occam's razor suggests it is a fishing club pin.

    The Royal Order of Jesters comes to mind its a fraternity started around 1911. But I have not been able to find a match. But I think I see the fish now.

    My eyes are going bad and I guess its possible to have punched the droplets/bells but no way those letters SHACKOBITE CLUB are punched, by hand nor by machine. Looks hand engraved to me. What other elements were stamped with a punch or die? Are you taking about pinpunching... tap tap tap...with a series of dots?

    But like I said, I see the fish now kinda and Im leaning in that direction with you. It does incorporate the word BITE which may be fishing related. Does this tie in any way with the tramping club with the same name? I guess if they go into the mountains, its a good chance they fish too.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 07, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
    DCMatt likes this.

  5. #20
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8,127
    7426 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    The Royal Order of Jesters comes to mind its a fraternity started around 1911. But I have not been able to find a match. But I think I see the fish now.

    My eyes are going bad and I guess its possible to have punched the droplets/bells but no way those letters SHACKOBITE CLUB are punched, by hand nor by machine. Looks hand engraved to me. What other elements were stamped with a punch or die? Are you taking about pinpunching... tap tap tap...with a series of dots?

    But like I said, I see the fish now kinda and Im leaning in that direction with you. It does incorporate the word BITE which may be fishing related. Does this tie in any way with the tramping club with the same name? I guess if they go into the mountains, its a good chance they fish too.
    Sorry. I didn't mean to imply the letters were punched. They are, no doubt, hand engraved. I think most of the elements of the fish and the splash are stamped using a series of shaped punches. I didn't find an exact match, but something similar to these:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20pcs-Assorted-Punches-For-Jewelry-Flower-Steel-Stamp.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1710452

    I don't know how the tramping club came up. I didn't find any instance of 'shackobite' except in reference to this token.
    Bigcypresshunter likes this.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

  6. #21
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    10,664
    17208 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm seeing a fish

  7. #22
    us
    #BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,556
    2681 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post

    I don't know how the tramping club came up. I didn't find any instance of 'shackobite' except in reference to this token.
    thats a nice set of punches Matt. I hear that some of these love tokens were made tap...tap...tap with a nail. In the third reply rodgerdodger found the only reference so far of the Shackobites as a tramping club.

    QUOTE=rodgerdodger;6177614]From what I gather is the Shakobites were a club of trampers.
    Tramping and mountaineering. They went on trips to climb mountains and skiing trips.
    Read this and the Shakobites are mentioned with 2 other clubs.

    [url=http://www.otmc.co.nz/otmchistory3.html]OTMC History - The Forties, The War Years and the Post War Renaissance


    Is Bramblefind still here? I bet she could dig something up in old newspapers.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 08, 2019 at 08:34 AM.

  8. #23
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8,127
    7426 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    Is Bramblefind still here? I bet she could dig something up in old newspapers.
    This was my exact thought... Great minds, I guess...

    Maybe Bramblefind will pop in with an answer that will make all of our guessing look silly (again).
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

  9. #24

    Dec 2006
    3,668
    2098 times
    in this pdf news letter, a mention of the shakobite, had signed a hut book,but
    not members names just club name and some also signed with their club logo
    http://otmc.co.nz/files/bulletin_pdf...4/june2004.pdf


    found the OTMC website, havent looked around much
    The Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club (OTMC)
    Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club (OTMC)



    Bigc link
    OTMC History - The Forties, The War Years and the Post War Renaissance

  10. #25
    us
    #BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,556
    2681 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0909 View Post
    in this pdf news letter, a mention of the shakobite, had signed a hut book,but
    not members names just club name and some also signed with their club logo
    http://otmc.co.nz/files/bulletin_pdf...4/june2004.pdf


    found the OTMC website, havent looked around much
    The Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club (OTMC)
    Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club (OTMC)



    Bigc link
    OTMC History - The Forties, The War Years and the Post War Renaissance
    The 20th century Shackobites were trampers. It appears Tramping is a name for hiking, mountain climbing and exploring but also seems to include kayaking so maybe fishing too? And track appears to be an old name for trail. Apparently tramper clubs still exist but they seem to like to be called trail hikers. We have a group here in South Florida called the Happy Hoofers.

    The first entry is on 28 Nov 1948, and the last on 15 Dec
    1956.
    Several OTC visits are listed including familiar names. Many other individuals and
    groups are named. But there are also groups who do not name their members but
    just give the group name, often with a distinctive logo. Examples are the SAME
    OLD MOB, SHAKOBITES, The Anaemic Arastakats with musical notations, TRAPPERITES, The Mountain Goats, The Pack Rat, THE TROJANITES, The Saints
    It would be great if anyone who knows about any of these groups could name any
    members. The book will finally be lodged with Club archives in the Hocken.
    Ian Sime, 4536185, i.sime@xtra.co.nz
    I wonder if that is the correct spelling. I just noticed it says Shakobites and the token appears to be older
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 08, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
    cw0909 likes this.

  11. #26

    Dec 2006
    3,668
    2098 times
    i think i found the pdf record with search words,...tramping hut books 1950s

    found a photo of Polite Hut, mentioned in the 2004 pdf
    Polite hut on Waikouaiti River on route to the yellow hut from gate
    https://hocken.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/22587
    source
    https://hocken.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/35596

    found where the hut log books are kept

    ABBREVIATIONS:Hocken Hocken Library, Dunedin
    Poilite Hut 1948-56 Hocken ARC-0338 MS-2174/001
    HUT LOG BOOKS OF THE NEW ZEALAND BACKCOUNTRY
    https://alpineclub.org.nz/parkside/w...-Keir-2014.pdf


    found 2 entry for Hut visitors' books, not online
    https://hakena.otago.ac.nz/scripts/m...?sessionsearch
    https://hakena.otago.ac.nz/scripts/m...?sessionsearch


    maybe this link can help with more info on the hut log books
    https://www.otago.ac.nz/library/hocken/otago038925.html

  12. #27
    gr
    Nov 2010
    886
    413 times
    How about taking "Shacko-" literally as in the military cap with the pommels and the braided cords?
    Any club known wearing these particular head covers?
    Bigcypresshunter likes this.

  13. #28
    gr
    Nov 2010
    886
    413 times
    Weird coincidence I googled "shacko" and got some links for "shaco", too.
    Shaco is a gameplay character called the "Demno Jester"... wtf?...

    https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/ga...ampions/shaco/

  14. #29
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8,127
    7426 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    I think we are seeing another one here and I think there are more than 5. Water droplets? Jester bells? Sleigh bells? I think its solvable. Its just gonna take time and interest.
    OK, so I'm in my office just finishing up the morning routine and I pop T-net on. I see Yaxthri has revived the mystery love token thread. I pull up a pic for another look and the guy in the office next door starts chatting with me so I ask him to come in and take a look. Fresh eyes can sometimes help... He says he sees a mosquito. When I mention the fishing club thing he says, "Oh, it's a dry fly." !!!

    Makes a lot of sense... That would explain the wispy 'jester hat' business at the top as well as the different textures in the image.

    So... Still a fishing club token, but not a fish image. Just the bait.

    Thoughts?
    Bigcypresshunter likes this.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

  15. #30
    gr
    Nov 2010
    886
    413 times
    "I want to believe"...

    I hope your friend can draw, let him make a sketch of what he is seeing...

    This is driving me crazy...
    Bigcypresshunter likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Unknown Elephant Image Jackpot Coin or Token
    By Butterfield in forum Tokens & Tags
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 25, 2017, 09:15 PM
  2. Love Token
    By Davo in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct 28, 2013, 03:30 PM
  3. 2 firsts! 2 silvers! Love token! (sadness token)
    By CrazySlasher in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
  4. google image your SCREEN NAME 1st image
    By EDDE in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2009, 12:38 PM
  5. 1812 penny token....war or love token?
    By Jack Burton in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan 24, 2006, 05:07 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0