Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WHAT MADE THE MARKS IN THIS ROCK?! IS IT ANCIENT WRITING?!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2019
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

WHAT MADE THE MARKS IN THIS ROCK?! IS IT ANCIENT WRITING?!

I found this large rock in an abandoned garden, just north of Crescent City, California.
    Can anyone tell me what it is and what made those marks?
    The rock is approximately as big as a platter, and the marks go all the way around the rock in by a complete circle.
    Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140310_150212.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	1724740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140310_150408~2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	1724743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140310_150327~3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	992.5 KB 
ID:	1724744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140310_150303~2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	919.8 KB 
ID:	1724745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140310_150234.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1724746  

Last edited by solo95502; Jun 20, 2019 at 05:06 AM.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    44216 times
    Hmmm interesting.
    Reanm8er and A2coins like this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21184 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cool. Don't know.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5937 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's not a "mark" or "writing". Igneous intrusion into fractured rock, that occurred when it was still far underground, before it became a round stone. It doesn't go all around, it goes all the way through.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3079 times
    Early IBM typewriter ball!
    Phil

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3079 times
    By the way, welcome Solo!
    A2coins and Joe-Dirt like this.
    Phil

Aug 2014
    California
    De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
    1610 times
    I quarried a rock somewhat similar from a mountain not too far from your location.
    Been curious about it, ever since.

1) Any chance of getting focused pictures in natural, outdoor lighting ?
    2) Can't make out the colors from your pictures, ... are there hints of "brownish-gold" coloring throughout the rock ?
    3) If you run a piece of sandpaper along the seam, does it almost take on a metallic look, ... yet, it doesn't exactly look like metal ... just a hint of a metallic look compared to the rest of the rock?

I've had mine examined by some very knowledgeable people and am still looking for an explanation on what, and how this was formed.

I can vouch that it is entirely natural, nothing to do with human alteration, and that the "stitched bands" do run in a flat, consistent plane through the rock.

Hoping to see some clear pictures and hear folks theories on how this formation could have occurred.
    A2coins and Reanm8er like this.
    I'm beginning to realize I've gone through life without knowing what anything is ...

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    5650 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Looks like a water worn rock with two layers of decomposing layers of quartz veins.
    A2coins and Back-of-the-boat like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    25911 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It is cool looking
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Aug 2014
    California
    1610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    It's not a "mark" or "writing". Igneous intrusion into fractured rock, that occurred when it was still far underground, before it became a round stone. It doesn't go all around, it goes all the way through.

Kray, are you able to come up with examples or geologic terms that might apply.

Here's a random list of traits I'm seeing on mine. (I just pulled it out and examining it again after many years.)

Crystallization and Fossilization has been considered by several folks, but, doesn't seem to hold up ?
    A small magnet "hangs" from the band, but immediately falls if I slide it over to the rest of the rock.
    Metal detector fails to react.
    The band definitely runs through the rock in a flat, planar fashion ... a layer.
    When the ends of the plane are ground and polished it has the look of a rope or spiraled sea shell.
    The "stitching" and the rock definitely have a different hardness.
    Both take a polish ... the rock gets very smooth and shiny while the stitching gets a little less polished.
    Not sure how to describe it ... no matter how deep I ground and polished ... the ends of the stitching plane takes on the look of a spiral with little voids remaining ... like trying to polish a rope ?
    But, no matter how deep I go, the vein continues in a flat, planar fashion. Nothing appearing round.

This was an odd mystery for me, many years ago, and this is the first time seeing another example, and remarkably, is coming from the exact same part of the country.

I understand someone bringing it home for a garden rock, because it does have a unique and curious look.
    I hope someone can help explain this natural formation or come up with a term that it might be further searched.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    I'm beginning to realize I've gone through life without knowing what anything is ...

us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    513 times
    Relic Hunting
    Prehistoric baseball
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5937 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug N Play View Post
    Kray, are you able to come up with examples or geologic terms that might apply.

Here's a random list of traits I'm seeing on mine. (I just pulled it out and examining it again after many years.)

Crystallization and Fossilization has been considered by several folks, but, doesn't seem to hold up ?
    A small magnet "hangs" from the band, but immediately falls if I slide it over to the rest of the rock.
    Metal detector fails to react.
    The band definitely runs through the rock in a flat, planar fashion ... a layer.
    When the ends of the plane are ground and polished it has the look of a rope or spiraled sea shell.
    The "stitching" and the rock definitely have a different hardness.
    Both take a polish ... the rock gets very smooth and shiny while the stitching gets a little less polished.
    Not sure how to describe it ... no matter how deep I ground and polished ... the ends of the stitching plane takes on the look of a spiral with little voids remaining ... like trying to polish a rope ?
    But, no matter how deep I go, the vein continues in a flat, planar fashion. Nothing appearing round.

This was an odd mystery for me, many years ago, and this is the first time seeing another example, and remarkably, is coming from the exact same part of the country.

I understand someone bringing it home for a garden rock, because it does have a unique and curious look.
    I hope someone can help explain this natural formation or come up with a term that it might be further searched.
    I can't speak to your rock, because you haven't shown a pic. My take on solo's rock is the host rock appears to be granite, and the intruded material was very hot when it filled the cracks in the granite because contact metamorphism is evident in the discoloration on either side of the infilling material. It's hard to say what exactly the material is, but it displays columnar jointing from the cooling process. I don't think it's quartz, rather basalt.

This rock ended up in a river, or in a pounding surf, as demonstrated by it's now rounded form. Also, this confirms it was a hot weld of the two materials, for it to withstand this vigorous water tumbling.

That's all I got.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2016
    2781 times
    Looks like a garden rock.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Aug 2016
    658 times
    it is odd, but that kind of odd is cool looking keeps ya wondering

Aug 2014
    California
    1610 times
    When I found this rock, there was no question it was natural. (1994 with a large group of rock hounds on a field trip)
    It looked very similar to op's rock ... in the rough. Only the "stitching" seemed unique and of interest.
    The rest of the rock didn't seem to have any potential. (I wanted carving rock)

Later, I tried to cut the stitching down so it would lie flat with the other rock and possibly offer a clue to its formation.
    Was surprised to find the rock not only carved well, but took a decent polish.
    (it's softer than granite or basalt, ... but harder than serpentine. Was very familiar with serpentines, never saw a serpentine like this ... but, it carves just slightly harder than serpentine, and polishes very similar ... don't think it's serpentine, only mention it because it carved similar.)

Was surprised to find the deep stitching, as seen in op's rock, took on a very distinct pattern as I ground the rock down. My intent was to smooth off a small area to help with future identification.
    When it started to carve well, I went ahead and shaped up the whole rock ... but, many folks have viewed the rock, since ... experienced folks ... and it's still a mystery.

"Igneous Intrusion", "intruded and healed rock", have been the best thoughts ... same as yours, Kray.
    What hasn't been identified yet is, "Is this a local anomaly, or, a more universal trait that has been found elsewhere ?
    Crystallization and fossil always enter the conversation, and everyone has shaken their head and discounted that theory, on close examination.

It's been an unanswered question, and this is the first time I've seen someone come up with a stone that has such close traits ... and very surprised to see it came from the same area. (mine came from the wilderness, slightly north of Crescent City)

Anyway, I'm bringing it up because I was somewhat shocked to see op's rock, and I've always been curious about this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1724914

Name:	1Top.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	1724915

Name:	1Side.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	1724916
    Reanm8er and Bigcypresshunter like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links