[SOLVED] CW Rifle Butt Plate - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: CW Rifle Butt Plate

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Spec-Ops: We Own The Night

Feb 2009
    Panama City Florida
    1840 times
    Military History, Militaria, and Military Surplus Weapons & Anything Military Related
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgortel7 View Post
    Wow!!! Outstanding information. So cool. Gives me chills! Really makes the item personable...be cool to figure out who “Soldier 57” may have been or “Soldiers”. Thank you so much Mike!!
    There were documents produced at the time that listed this information. Don't know if they survived or not. It was basically the company descriptive book, and was amended as new troops joined and old ones were killed, disabled beyond the ability to continue to serving.

If there are additional letters on it, they COULD be the soldiers initials. There are rosters for the Massachusetts regiments, and you could possibly narrow it down some, but you'll never know with 100% certainty.

If this is from a known wreck, and the date sunk is known, you can eliminate troops that enlisted after that time. Which narrows the research window down some.

It's a labour of love, and tedious research, but you never know what you'll discover and turn up.

Thank you for posting this find, I have a love of military history and this is just awesome beyond words for me. Good luck with your research and by all means keep us posted and updated.
    Last edited by ffuries; Jun 26, 2020 at 06:07 PM.
    Gambrinus likes this.
    Mike
    TSgt USAF Retired
    Jan 86 - Sept 08
    Aircrew Life Support
    "Your Life Is Our Business"
    (122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
    NRA Life Member

Jun 2020
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks Mike. I did identify “WJ” on stock side of the narrow tang piece. Maybe initials. Going to definitely dig into this further. Keep you guys updated.

-Mike
    ffuries likes this.

us

Feb 2009
    Panama City Florida
    1840 times
    Military History, Militaria, and Military Surplus Weapons & Anything Military Related
    Thanks Mike. I did identify “WJ” on stock side of the narrow tang piece. Maybe initials. Going to definitely dig into this further. Keep you guys updated.

-Mike
    If it's in First name Last name format, I found one WJ on the 25th MASS roster, after a quick search.

Name: William Jones
    Side: Union
    Battle Unit: 25th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry
    Function: Infantry

Here's the link for the 25th MASS roster, if you want to peruse it, oh and it's not in alphabetical order. Copy and paste the below link, for some reason it doesn't link correctly. The list seems short, but as you scroll down to the end it will expand over and over again. Took me around 15 minutes to go through it and I did it fast.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm#q="25th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry"
    Last edited by ffuries; Jun 27, 2020 at 01:25 AM.
    jwarner51 likes this.
    Mike
    TSgt USAF Retired
    Jan 86 - Sept 08
    Aircrew Life Support
    (122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
    NRA Life Member

Jun 2020
    13 times
    Sweet! I will check it out. Thanks Mike!

us

Feb 2009
    Panama City Florida
    1840 times
    Oh and where are my manners......? Welcome to TNet Mike, there are some highly knowledgeable members on here, who will surprise you with how much they know.

Hope you stick around and continue to share your finds with us, I definitely look forward to seeing what else yall bring up.
    Last edited by ffuries; Jun 26, 2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Mike
    TSgt USAF Retired
    Jan 86 - Sept 08
    Aircrew Life Support
    (122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
    NRA Life Member

us
    Aug 2014
    United states of America
    Minelab Exterra 705
    378 times
    Awesome! Thank you all for the ID and feedback!!

I was told by fellow divers that muriatic acid will remove the crustaceans and not effect the brass. Any feedback on that?
    I personally have never used it on my relics, but I have used it clean brass fittings and stuff at work and it will change the patina, often to an (in my opinion) ugly, pale, matte pink look. Id look further before attempting it on that killer buttplate.

Jun 2020
    13 times
    Thank you for the welcome! I will post more for sure. I do some metal detecting too. DIved a shipwreck called the Hebe. Find beer bottles from South America and some pesticide bottles. One guy found some cool ampules. The Hebe sank in a collision with another freighter (St. Cathan) during WW2 in dark out conditions due to Uboat activity on east coast
    Last edited by Mgortel7; Jun 28, 2020 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links