Calling all experts. Another mystery artillery piece - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Calling all experts. Another mystery artillery piece

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    3196 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    While I wouldn’t even think about questioning Harry Ridgeway’s expertise on Civil War Relics, I am deeply sceptical that this is a news-stand paperweight.

I’ve seen a lot of these, but never one where someone has gone to the trouble of wrapping an iron/steel core with a copper jacket. All of those I’ve seen are simply cast in brass or iron. They’re also usually in the form of an ingot-like plate (rectangular or disc-like) such that the weight is spread across a wider area to stop the papers flapping around in the wind. Those kinds of castings also don’t usually miss an opportunity for some advertising and are almost invariably embossed with the name of a paper or publisher. This kind of thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	News 1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1863621 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	News 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	1863622

Why go to the trouble of embossing it with ‘T’ symbols (which would be upside-down Ts in use) when it could just as easily be embossed with ‘Chicago Tribune’ or whatever… unless those Ts had some functional purpose?

If there were any contemporary illustrations showing such pieces serving such a purpose, or surviving examples with some branding on them, then I would be more convinced. Otherwise, it’s just an easy call to say it must be a paperweight because it’s heavy and can’t be imagined for a purpose beyond that. I have no idea what it is (or was, as part of something), but I don’t think it has yet been reliably ‘solved’.
    ticndig and Force_of_Iron like this.

Charter Member

Aug 2019
    Formerly Ohio, now south
    471 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well who can argue with so much certainty. Thanks for your opinions everyone. These are certainly well founded and worthy of merit in their own right as possibilities.

Questions remain, of the photos the cannonballguy provided only one was the same. The others were very different in shape and of course didnt have a jacket. They may have had one at one time or the same function but who knows. We do now know though that another just like this exists out there somewhere which is cool. Thanks for sharing that photo. Did you buy it?
    Perhaps the damage to the top arc of the copper came when the jacket was formed as it was rolled onto its top and the copper worked?

As for the paperweight perhaps so, but that makes more sense for the unshod ones than the ones with the copper banding.

You may well be right but some doubt remains.

There is only one sure way to know and that is find it mentioned or illustrated in some old book or publication.

This did come out of the artillery collection of a civil war veteran formed in the 1880-1910. Im going to give him the benifit of the doubt on what he knew about it.

He was well traveled as he headed a GAR post. He went to many reunions where he notes in his inventory he picked this up as a relic while in Petersburg.

His exact notation is "Confederate found at Petersburg"

Thank you for your suggestions everyone, very cool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links