Part of a spoon handle/ silver?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By njrelicgairl
  • 1 Post By pepperj
  • 5 Post By Red-Coat
  • 1 Post By CoinFetcher

Thread: Part of a spoon handle/ silver?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting

    Part of a spoon handle/ silver?

    I found part of a spoon handle at this 1850's home that belong to a doctor. It has the name bob on it. Any idles if it is silver,and how old the spoon is?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3341.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	1862664
    JVA5th, Radon and ToddsPoint like this.

  2. #2
    us
    John

    Mar 2014
    Atwater, CA
    At Pro
    552
    703 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I heard you can check if something is silver with a drop of bleach. It should tarnish quickly if it is silver. Use method at your own risk as I'm not 100% on that. Still neat I love old stuff like that. No idea the age of it.

  3. #3
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    13,060
    27613 times
    Relic Hunting
    I'm assuming there's no part of the makers mark left on the other side. Enlarging the photo to the max I see no indication of a base metal leaching of green patina.
    Try rubbing the underside with the thumb, it should leave a dark mark on the skin, and smell like rotten egg (sulphur odor)
    The pattern would put it in the Victorian Era, and I'd go with it being sterling.
    Probably the other portion is at the site somewhere, but sometimes they just are not it seems. It's possible that the other portion was found at some other time by somebody as detecting has been around for a good 50 yrs.
    JVA5th likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

  4. #4
    gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    1,218
    3193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would say that's Whiting's "Plain Thread" pattern, introduced in 1870:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whiting.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	1862763

    The Whiting Manufacturing Company was based in North Attleboro, Massachusetts at this time, but moved to New York after their factory was destroyed by a fire in 1875. It could have been made in either location, but it was a sterling pattern, not produced in plate.
    Kray Gelder, vhs07, Radon and 2 others like this.

  5. #5
    us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    2,287
    2717 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Looks silver to me for sure
    JVA5th likes this.

  6. #6
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by JVA5th View Post
    I heard you can check if something is silver with a drop of bleach. It should tarnish quickly if it is silver. Use method at your own risk as I'm not 100% on that. Still neat I love old stuff like that. No idea the age of it.
    Ok, thanks for the idl.

  7. #7
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    I'm assuming there's no part of the makers mark left on the other side. Enlarging the photo to the max I see no indication of a base metal leaching of green patina.
    Try rubbing the underside with the thumb, it should leave a dark mark on the skin, and smell like rotten egg (sulphur odor)
    The pattern would put it in the Victorian Era, and I'd go with it being sterling.
    Probably the other portion is at the site somewhere, but sometimes they just are not it seems. It's possible that the other portion was found at some other time by somebody as detecting has been around for a good 50 yrs.
    I tryed searching for the other part but could not come up with it.I had little time to srarch. For the owners sold the home and moved out yesterday.

  8. #8
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    I'm assuming there's no part of the makers mark left on the other side. Enlarging the photo to the max I see no indication of a base metal leaching of green patina.
    Try rubbing the underside with the thumb, it should leave a dark mark on the skin, and smell like rotten egg (sulphur odor)
    The pattern would put it in the Victorian Era, and I'd go with it being sterling.
    Probably the other portion is at the site somewhere, but sometimes they just are not it seems. It's possible that the other portion was found at some other time by somebody as detecting has been around for a good 50 yrs.
    Some one must have searched this property because I found no silver coins or hardly any wheat cents.

  9. #9
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    I would say that's Whiting's "Plain Thread" pattern, introduced in 1870:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whiting.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	1862763

    The Whiting Manufacturing Company was based in North Attleboro, Massachusetts at this time, but moved to New York after their factory was destroyed by a fire in 1875. It could have been made in either location, but it was a sterling pattern, not produced in plate.
    You could be right. The first owner of the home was. A doctor by the name of Robert bond.he probly was called Bob. 8

  10. #10
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    I would say that's Whiting's "Plain Thread" pattern, introduced in 1870:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whiting.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	1862763

    The Whiting Manufacturing Company was based in North Attleboro, Massachusetts at this time, but moved to New York after their factory was destroyed by a fire in 1875. It could have been made in either location, but it was a sterling pattern, not produced in plate.
    I'll look at the other side better.to see if I see any writing. And let you know

  11. #11
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by njrelicgairl View Post
    I tryed searching for the other part but could not come up with it.I had little time to srarch. For the owners sold the home and moved out yesterday.
    I will look at the other side to see if they is any makers marks. And let you know

  12. #12
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinFetcher View Post
    Looks silver to me for sure
    I feel it could be!

  13. #13
    us
    Jul 2013
    warren county NJ
    Whites coin master
    163
    154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    I would say that's Whiting's "Plain Thread" pattern, introduced in 1870:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whiting.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	1862763

    The Whiting Manufacturing Company was based in North Attleboro, Massachusetts at this time, but moved to New York after their factory was destroyed by a fire in 1875. It could have been made in either location, but it was a sterling pattern, not produced in plate.
    I looked at the other side and there are no markings that i can see. Just that of the other side that writes bob.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 20, 2019, 02:02 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2017, 04:06 PM
  3. Silver Spoon Or Fork Handle ....yes & Rand
    By Spats in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 10, 2016, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 06, 2015, 11:33 AM
  5. Coin silver spoon handle help.
    By Garabaldi in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 09, 2011, 07:49 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0