Dating Belknap 1840 no. 2 bell
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenosha Kid

Thread: Dating Belknap 1840 no. 2 bell

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Scout

Nov 2004
    NW Florida
    DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex+
    109 times
    Metal Detecting

Dating Belknap 1840 no. 2 bell

A little help dating this bell please. Received as a gift from an old friend, obviously not 1840. It has the matching yoke and upright and came from my friendís grandmotherís home. He said it was in her yard at least 50 years ago and heís had it stored for the last 20 years. Heís got another one and passed this one to me.

Itís marked BELKNAP 1840 2 LOUISVILLE KY. Bell is 15 inches across the bowl. The upright is a little harder to read but is marked CRYSTAL METAL on one side and no. 2 and I think 1884. Any help appreciated, I looked but ran into dead ends on dating it. My guess is early 1920ís - 1950ís.

Thanks, happy hunting in 2021!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by DFXScout; Jan 11, 2021 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Photo added
    Living the dream!

us
    Dec 2010
    Wisconsin
    38 times
    also finding it hard to date. from researching Belknap, it looks like about everything was outsourced made. they had their name put on the goods and then sold in their hardware store.

https://brokensidewalk.com/2010/lost...ap-warehouses/

more research:

http://www.towerbells.org/HillsboroFoundry.html

Belknap had the bells made by the C.S. Bell Co. in Hillsboro, OH
    Prindle Station, Washougal, WA bought the bell moulds in 1944.

Name Years of operation Type of Operation
    C. S. Bell 1875 - 1882 Single proprietorship
    C. S. Bell & Co. 1882 - 1894 Partnership
    The C. S. Bell Co. 1894 - 1970s Corporation
    In all cases, the maker's name appears not on the bell itself,
    as it usually does for bronze bells, but on the yoke from which the bell is hung.

http://www.towerbells.org/GoeppingerBook2.html

p.62 (added), William B. Belknap & Co.Address: Louisville, KentuckyYears in Operation: 18??-1903Commentary: This firm, whose principal was William Burke Belknap, sold private label bells made by the C.S.Bell company, marked "W B B & Co Louisville KY" and bearing the 1886 date of redesign. In 1904, the name of the firm became Belknap Hardware and Manufacturing Company; it is not known whether they continued to sell private label bells.

p.63, The C. S. Bell CompanyAddress: This does not mean that Hillsboro became Tiffin. The firm that bought the Hillsboro general foundry business (but not its bell business) relocated to Tiffin. Hence it is not the Successor of the Hillsboro firm with respect to bells.Successor: Prindle Station, which bought the farm bell molds after the closure of the Hillsboro foundry.

https://www.prindlestation.com/category-s/150.htm

Today, those original patterns are used by Prindle Station to manufacture historical C.S. Bell Company bells for customers around the world.

In 1869 Bell purchased Marlay’s interest...working with a metal formula he had developed...The first year after the discovery of the bell formula, 1,000 bells were sold....

Charles E. Bell, son of the founder, was taken into partnership in 1882 and the C.S. Bell Co. was formed.

Charles S. Bell died in 1905.Charles E. Bell and Co continued the business.The sale of the bells was slow, so the company again concentrated on the manufacture of laborsaving machinery for the farm.About 1,000 bells per year were produced.

WWII saw a metal shortage; bells were mainly made for the U.S., British and Russian Navy.

There is an 1897 ad for Sears with your bell in it. C.S. Bell also made them for Montgomery Wards as they did for Belknap Hardware.

Unless it is modern (meaning, made by Prindle in the old Bell moulds), I’d venture a guess of mid 1880s to early 1900s (the decline of production).

Last edited by Kenosha Kid; Jan 11, 2021 at 03:34 PM.
    DFXScout likes this.

us
    Scout

Nov 2004
    NW Florida
    DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex+
    109 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow Kenosha Kid, thatís much more than I found. There are som markings on the upright that I believe has CS on it. Iíll investigate better when the weather clears and get confirmation.
    Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C116941B-09F6-415B-A40E-DBEB7490B010.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	1893071  
    Last edited by DFXScout; Jan 12, 2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Font correction
    Living the dream!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links