What.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2020
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What.

I found next to close to a house built in 1850. What type of metal is it repo old or real old. Why is it mushed at the end flat? The handle is stuck how wouldve the handle worked? Sorry its blurry friends how was this put on a house? :/ : / : ) .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023604.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	1893560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023624.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1893561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023718.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1893562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023728.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1893563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023740.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	1893564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023752.jpg 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	1893565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_023808.jpg 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1893566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_024229.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1893567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_024257.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	1893568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_024328.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1893569
    Last edited by bartshop62; Jan 14, 2021 at 02:55 AM.

Nov 2012
    1649 times
    barrel tap

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    76655 times
    Although this looks like a "barrel tap"... I think this is just an old valve.
    pepperj, duggap and alan m like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    37976 times
    Relic Hunting
    The handle and the stem are connected. The stem has a through hole, so when the handle turns it aligns a clear passage for fluid between the pipe and the spout.
    AARC likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    You know Pepper... I have seen many times over the years these in various forms IE: "Taps"... misidentified... when in actuality they are nothing more than a random plumbing valve... or spigot more so.

For example...

Here is one that is identified... sold even... as a "keg / barrel tap... BY WorthPoint.

When in actuality it is physically impossible to tap anything with this... unless the "shaft" "spout" "tap itself"... or whatever ya wanna call it for I do not know the proper term... has been greatly cut off / down... this could / would be the ONLY exception.

Wanan know why ? ? ?

You tell me... what is wrong with this situation / item that makes this impossible to be a tap. ? ? ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique-brass-spigot-tap-beer-wine_1_c5c65d4ad56f40ac7ef9960c84e0bd7e.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	1893586

ANSWER = Simple... once "Tapped"... no way to turn it "on" or "off" for that matter... DUE TO "clearance" of handle VIA the side of anything "tapped".

Heh.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    37976 times
    Relic Hunting
    I see that right off the bat, and would say it was cut to clean up the break.
    Then again the taper of the pipe says barrel tap over a sink tap.
    There must be a ref. date/schedule for barrel taps someplace......

The OP photo it also looks tapered, and in the #7 photo looks like there's a bit of a lip.

The early household plumbing I have dug are similar looking valves, but I haven't a clue where in the storage they'd be right now to have gander, the old hard drives have pics probably.
    AARC likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

Fat
    us
    Mr. finishup all the leftovers

Oct 2020
    Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
    I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
    1550 times
    Dark skinned women digging there toes in white sugar sand beaches
    It looks like would have been on the fuel oil tank out side. Kerosene tank. Sat beside house and line fed stove.

us
    Dec 2015
    east central Connecticut
    303 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    You know Pepper... I have seen many times over the years these in various forms IE: "Taps"... misidentified... when in actuality they are nothing more than a random plumbing valve... or spigot more so.

For example...

Here is one that is identified... sold even... as a "keg / barrel tap... BY WorthPoint.

When in actuality it is physically impossible to tap anything with this... unless the "shaft" "spout" "tap itself"... or whatever ya wanna call it for I do not know the proper term... has been greatly cut off / down... this could / would be the ONLY exception.

Wanan know why ? ? ?

You tell me... what is wrong with this situation / item that makes this impossible to be a tap. ? ? ?

ANSWER = Simple... once "Tapped"... no way to turn it "on" or "off" for that matter... DUE TO "clearance" of handle VIA the side of anything "tapped".

Heh.
    The one you saw on Worthpoint is a barrel tap due to taper fit for a wooden vessel, and it's 90 degree spout. However, it is displayed wrong, meaning the handle can spin 360 degrees, and they have it 180 out. The much later machinery/automotive drain valves and petcocks do have a stop that prevents a 360 handle rotation.
    AARC, vhs07 and ticndig like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    10638 times
    Metal Detecting

For example...

Wanan know why ? ? ?

Heh.
    I would agree if it were a modern spigot. Old taps don't require more than a 90 degree turn of the handle to open and close the spout. Therefore, clearance to rotate the handle more than 90 degrees is not required.

Name:	Parts-of-a-tap.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	1893627

Sorry for the "take no prisoners" reply but I think we need to be as precise as we can be on this forum.

EDIT: I see that CTWoods can type faster than me...
    Last edited by DCMatt; Jan 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I type too slowly... :-)
    AARC and alan m like this.
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Sorry for the "take no prisoners" reply
    "Take none" is correct

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    cite an example of OP's find then.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    but I think we need to be as precise as we can be on this forum.
    You should practice then. :P

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    Oh and before I forget... I will add that I was the first to respond to this thread... in which I simpy stated barrel tap... then deleted it.

Bowinkles then posted it.

I then reposted with opinion I stated.

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    2687 times
    Cache Hunting

For example...

Wanan know why ? ? ?

Heh.
    I think the handle can rotate 360 degrees, in which case it could be a functioning item
    AARC likes this.
    When you can’t find what your looking for, your looking in the wrong place. Time for another drink

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    76655 times
    I think you guys should really LOOK at the OP's item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links