Need informations for a USA WWII dog tag - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Need informations for a USA WWII dog tag

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    7700 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    ... The first two number (16) means he enlisted and came from either Illinois, Michigan or Wisconsin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteo La Boccia View Post
    ... About serial number please consider also hipothesis that when tag was stamped it can be have the mistake and was throw away in the field where it was found...
    Hi Matteo

Since we seem to have a Wisconsin service record for Donald Schuler with only one digit different, it would seem that the tag is correct but (at least some of) the records contain the error. Once you get an error like this, it has a habit of trickling through to other sources that feed off that information. Quite possibly there will be information sources with and without the error.

Every artifact has a story, if we're willing to listen

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    All, the fastpeoplesearch link I provided yesterday has a semi-colon at the end - which made it inoperable. I corrected it in the original post this AM - and it now works okay. It is also here -> https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/don...07496931633285

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    Spent some time yesterday searching for an original service record with the correct number. Will resume later today and let you what I find.

Red-Coat is absolutely right that once an error occurs it can appear in later records.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    All, checked Ancestry, Fold3, the National Museum of the USAF without finding a service # with a second digit of "6". Before I contact the National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis, I called & left a voicemail for Donald's daughter Mary. Hoping for call-back and confirmation of his service #. If she doesn't respond or doesn't know, I'll contact her older brother John.

br
    Jul 2018
    2075 times
    looks like many are still searching records, trying to help

PLEASE MARK SOLVED

For future reference:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/research-veteran
    crashbandicoot likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xaos View Post
    looks like many are still searching records, trying to help

PLEASE MARK SOLVED

For future reference:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/research-veteran
    Hold off on marking solved...still waiting to hear back from Mary or John.
    crashbandicoot likes this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    All, still have not heard back from John, Mary, or Paul. In the meanwhile I discovered that his brother Ralph has also passed -> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ary?id=3347389 - and I've not tried to contact any of his children.

Although the Donald’s obit doesn’t mention that he was a member of the VFW – I’m planning to contact them. Perhaps the 15th AF as well.
    Red-Coat and DCMatt like this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    Still no word from Donald's children. Since he and his brother Ralph were close, I contacted the funeral home that handled his funeral. Gave them my contact information to forward to Ralph's next of kin. If they get back with me will ask them to contact Donald's kids. If all goes well I'll send them the link to this thread. Hopefully one of them wants the dog tag.
    GaRebel1861 and Gene Mean like this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    The VFW in Wisconsin replied saying they don't receive or keep info on a vet's family and suggested I contact national. Still trying...

Since Donald's obit says he was an avid golfer, began contacting golf courses in his area. Hopefully some of his playing buddies are still around and know his children.
    Last edited by invent4hir; Aug 27, 2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added second line
    Mackaydon likes this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    Matteo, none of Donald's or his brother Ralph's next of kin have called me back. If you want, I can contact a Curator at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, tell them about Donald, and ask if they would like the dog tag. If they agree, I'll post their contact info here and your friend can send it to them. If they decline, I can contact the 15th Air Force and the World War II Museum to see if either of them would accept it. Just let me know.
    Mackaydon and Tony in SC like this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    All, still no word. Does anyone on the forum live in/near Milwaukee? If so, according to fastpeoplesearch Donald's son Paul lives at 212 S. Barclay St., Unit 506. Hate to ask you to knock on the door, but if the contact info is correct, then the dog tag can be returned. Anyone?

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    17634 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    invent4hir,
    I suggest that anyone who goes to that address take with them a pic of the dog tag--just saying what should be obvious.
    Don....
    invent4hir likes this.

Aug 2017
    Whites V3i & DFX
    1886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    invent4hir,
    I suggest that anyone who goes to that address take with them a pic of the dog tag--just saying what should be obvious.
    Don....
    Don, great suggestion!

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    17634 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Joe Schwartz may also live there:
    https://nuwber.com/person/563a20094fd2d7d7141d1fcc
    You might try finding his phone number.
    Don........

Charter Member

Apr 2014
    3542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by invent4hir View Post
    All, still no word. Does anyone on the forum live in/near Milwaukee? If so, according to fastpeoplesearch Donald's son Paul lives at 212 S. Barclay St., Unit 506. Hate to ask you to knock on the door, but if the contact info is correct, then the dog tag can be returned. Anyone?
    I would suggest mailing a copy and a note to that address first.
    That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Einstein once said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links