Old Photo On Cloth!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    3729 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Old Photo On Cloth!

This cloth photograph has been in the family for many generations . It appears to be on linen . I took it out of the frame to take these pictures . You can see that the edges have been folded over to make it fit in the frame . Was this a common practice to put put photos on cloth back then ?

I realize it's common now - T-shirts , Coffee cups , etc .

It's Grampa Henry He was born about 1918
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 007 (2).jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	181763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 009 (2).jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	181764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 011.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	181765  

us
    Jul 2005
    N Louisiana
    Ace 250
    32 times

Re: Old Photo On Cloth!

I actually saw this done on a quilt made in the 1800s. I couldn't believe they had that technology over 100 years ago, but the 90-year-old woman with the quilt said it was made by her grandmother! So, yes, it could be old!! That's all I know.

Noodle
    Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

us
    Oct 2006
    3017 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Interresting never seen that before...aa

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14970 times
    Metal Detecting

You can put photos on anything that can take a silver halide treatment and then the developing chemicals. I've seem photos developed on eggshells.

Early photos were on tin and glass (take an image of a backlit negative and the result is a positive image).
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin. Need the names of good men and heroes to say? Say the names of M. Sgt Gordon and 1st Sgt Shugart.

Feb 2008

You can also use some radioactive elements to burn images onto clothe, but that only leaves a vague resemblance of the original object. Pretty neat though.

Sponsored Links