Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Weird Rock,and flower looking thing????

Found this rock that the detector reads as a penny. I have no idea what it is. Any thoughts/ideas? Also found this round flower looking thing, with two holes on the side and a threaded hole in the middle. Do these pieces look familiar to anyone. I'm lost with this rock.
    THX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0949.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	12475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0951.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	12476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0947.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	12477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0948.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	12478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0949.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	206888  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0951.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	206889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0947.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	206890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0948.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	206891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0945 1212.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	206895  

Re: Weird Rock,and flower looking thing????

I guess the flower thing must be a furniture fitting.

The rock looks like quartz??
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    25 times

Interesting rock.
    I does appear to be native rock as I don't see any bubbles or anything to suggest it came out of a furnace.
    In additon it has some iron oxide (red color) which is indicative of mineralization. The old timers had a saying "the redder the better". Yes as Crusader pointed out it does look like some quartz in there.

The detector is reading the metallic composition of the rock. It is the Gray? or Black? material in the specimen.
    As usual it is hard to ID looking at pictures. Probably going to be either galena(gray) or magnetite(black) which both do set off a detector.

Where was it found? Perhaps breaking off a fresh piece would help. Look also at the physical properties of the gray/black mineral. Hardness, streak, crystal shape.

http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/K12/prop...mineralid.html

George

May 2008
    Whites prizm 950 V

The rock kinda looks like stuff melted together from a fire?

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Quote Originally Posted by bakergeol
    Interesting rock.
    I does appear to be native rock as I don't see any bubbles or anything to suggest it came out of a furnace.
    In additon it has some iron oxide (red color) which is indicative of mineralization. The old timers had a saying "the redder the better". Yes as Crusader pointed out it does look like some quartz in there.

The detector is reading the metallic composition of the rock. It is the Gray? or Black? material in the specimen.
    As usual it is hard to ID looking at pictures. Probably going to be either galena(gray) or magnetite(black) which both do set off a detector.

Where was it found? Perhaps breaking off a fresh piece would help. Look also at the physical properties of the gray/black mineral. Hardness, streak, crystal shape.

http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/K12/prop...mineralid.html

George
    It was found in Mount Airy Maryland. Thx for the help George.

Charter Member
    us
    Desiderata

Jun 2004
    Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
    7 times
    Cache Hunting

Flower thing...

Looks to me like it might be the wall portion of an older door stop. One where a rod stood out from the wall and had a rubber tip on the end that caught the door. The piece you have would have been fastened to the molding with a couple of wood screws, then the center piece would have been fastened to it.

Of course, that's only a guess as I have nothing that matches. Today they are single piece stops that screw directly into the wood using a molded in screw like base (at least the cheap ones I use).
    Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, be led by God in all things!

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Quote Originally Posted by billKY
    Flower thing...

Looks to me like it might be the wall portion of an older door stop. One where a rod stood out from the wall and had a rubber tip on the end that caught the door. The piece you have would have been fastened to the molding with a couple of wood screws, then the center piece would have been fastened to it.

Of course, that's only a guess as I have nothing that matches. Today they are single piece stops that screw directly into the wood using a molded in screw like base (at least the cheap ones I use).
    Could be a door stop. Good guess I guess. Also found this horse Tie Down. Could it be one of these??
    Thx for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Quote Originally Posted by jraven
    Quote Originally Posted by billKY
    Flower thing...

Could be a door stop. Good guess I guess. Also found this horse Tie Down. Could it be one of these??
    Thx for the help

Well maybe not. A horse would probably rip it right out of the wall. Oh maybe thats why I found it.

us
    Sep 2005
    Az
    MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
    7 times

the rock kida looks like a piece of aluminium fused with some glass, like from a house fire or something.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I am pretty sure it definatly a mineral matrix.As said several minerals including gold will send a signal.Is there natural copper found in your area?
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    I am pretty sure it definatly a mineral matrix.As said several minerals including gold will send a signal.Is there natural copper found in your area?
    No natural copper in Maryland that i know of.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    22 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Maryland has copper districts...

Copper mines operated in Maryland from colonial times until the 1850s, in three mining districts. The most productive was in Frederick County, in a belt of chalcopyrite ore in schist and limestone stretching from New London to Libertytown. The most productive mine was the Dolly Hyde mine. Another district contains chalcopyrite, chalcocite, and bornite, in a fault zone that runs 25 miles in slate from Sykesville to Finksfurg in Carroll County. The Bare Hills district in northwest Baltimore County contained a copper-bearing vein in hornblende gneiss. (Wiki)

Jun 2007
    X-Terra 705

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Jim
    Maryland has copper districts...

Copper mines operated in Maryland from colonial times until the 1850s, in three mining districts. The most productive was in Frederick County, in a belt of chalcopyrite ore in schist and limestone stretching from New London to Libertytown. The most productive mine was the Dolly Hyde mine. Another district contains chalcopyrite, chalcocite, and bornite, in a fault zone that runs 25 miles in slate from Sykesville to Finksfurg in Carroll County. The Bare Hills district in northwest Baltimore County contained a copper-bearing vein in hornblende gneiss. (Wiki)
    Wow ,had no idea!!! The rock was found in Frederick County.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors