Mississippi Pin ?????????
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2007
    Texas, Old River Winfree
    Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
    118 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Mississippi Pin ?????????

I have no idea what this pin stands for. Between the justers head, and the skeleton is a date 1868, At the botton is 1913. With cross swords from side to side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mississippi Pin , Sterling silver, 1868 at head, 1913 at bottom..jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	13126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mississippi Pin (back).jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	13127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	214721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mississippi Pin , Sterling silver, 1868 at head, 1913 at bottom..jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	214722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mississippi Pin (back).jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	214723  

us
    "The Detector Stand Man"

Jun 2008
    Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
    399 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Mississippi Pin ?????????

Do you have a picture?

us
    Dec 2007
    Texas, Old River Winfree
    Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
    118 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Sorry about that. I forget to post it.

us
    "The Detector Stand Man"

Jun 2008
    Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
    399 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I am not sure about it, but man that is a hardcore looking pin. Battleaxes and swords crossed. Wow Scary!!

Charter Member
    nz
    Oct 2006
    New Zealand
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    646 times

Now who could wear THAT badge with Pride
    I could be tempted it's such hardcase, but I would rather know it's significance.
    I've spent some time researching.
    Possibly some Masonic connection - or otherwise theatrical?
    Whatever - I want one.
    Mike

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    7709 times
    Metal Detecting

I would bet it is a Definitely a krewe pin from the 1913 Mardi Gras celebration (see EDIT below). The first mardi gras parade with floats was in 1868 (Mobile Alabama).

The letters probably indicate the krewe. Lots of krewes have come and gone over the years...

Very cool pin! Where did you find it?

DCMatt

EDIT: Letter C O M stand for "Chronicles of Momus" which was the theme of the 1913 mardi Gras season.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12152 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

"(Mardi Gras) has as one of its most visible symbols, Folly, a jester, who in earlier times would beat those approaching the Throne of his King with animal skins as a form of atonement. Today he beats Death, a skeleton figure, with cow bladders for similar reasons, but few really know this "Folly figure" symbol was chosen for its double meaning. His medieval roots concealed from the Union occupying forces the fact that Folly, in 1868, was symbolic of the Old South and his arch rival, Death, represented his hated enemy the damn Yankee. Thus, on Mardi Gras evening, even during Reconstruction, the South would emerge triumphant, at least to those "in the know".. In modern Mobile hardly anyone is aware of this or cares. The original reasons are no longer important or relevant to the revelers. And like it was in the beginning, the symbol is again concealed."

Don.....

Source: http://jacksonsnyder.com/arc/slac/MardiGras/paradox.htm

Jun 2006

Hardly? I beg to differ suh!!!

us
    Aug 2010

This is a pin given as a favor to the members and guests attending the 1913 ball for the Order of Myths, a Mobile, AL carnival organization. the central shield is their emblem and I suspect the crossed battle axes refer to the theme for that year. Similar ones usually sell for $100-300 depending on rarity/ condition.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12152 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

thauve:
    Welcome to Treasure Net!!
    And thanks for your contribution.
    Don.....

us
    Apr 2010
    Breckentucky MI
    Garrett Ace 250
    88 times

“The occasion when all the Ladies of the Evening came to a Mardi Gras ball.”

On February 4, “the girls” from Mobile’s red light district were invited to a public carnival ball held in the district. According to a Mobile Press Register article, “the district turned out in force.” Those in attendance making sure the ball was orderly included the Mayor of Mobile and the City Police Chief. Members of the “Order of Myths” society were invited to attend the “public carnival” after their ball was finished. Much to their surprise, the public carnival receiving line is comprised of prostitutes from the district. It was reported that the red light district girls danced the Turkey Trot and Bunny Hug, two popular dances of the day. About 1,000 people attended the ball and reports indicated that “a good time was had by all.”

Mobile Museum

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2824 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by daroofa

“The occasion when all the Ladies of the Evening came to a Mardi Gras ball.”

On February 4, “the girls” from Mobile’s red light district were invited to a public carnival ball held in the district. According to a Mobile Press Register article, “the district turned out in force.” Those in attendance making sure the ball was orderly included the Mayor of Mobile and the City Police Chief. Members of the “Order of Myths” society were invited to attend the “public carnival” after their ball was finished. Much to their surprise, the public carnival receiving line is comprised of prostitutes from the district. It was reported that the red light district girls danced the Turkey Trot and Bunny Hug, two popular dances of the day. About 1,000 people attended the ball and reports indicated that “a good time was had by all.”

Mobile Museum
    only in New Orleans. I used to love that place during Mardi Gras. I wonder if its still the same (after Katrina)

us
    Apr 2010
    St. Pete, Fl
    CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5 Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
    77 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Cool pin!!! Way to go DC Matt.
    Bunker
    Bunker

"Lost Recovered...History Discovered"

Sponsored Links