Sierra Madre/ULA-3 Anybody ever used one?

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Deese said:
Dont find alot of info out there on these,anybody used one? White's claims it will go 5' deep with the 15 inch coil.

That all would depend on what size target they used to check the depth with. I don't think it would detect a single coin at 5 foot , even with a Jimmy Sierra 24 inch coil.

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
That is what I am curious about,I wonder if it will pick up every single nail or if the target has to be a certain size? I suspect it will pick up everything,that could be rough digging nails at 2 feet.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
What size coil do you have for it??? It is mostly used for locating larger items, like bigger metal pipe lines, and larger can sized or jar sized targets. That is why the website says it can detect 5 feet. The larger coil and a larger metal container should be detectable up to 5 feet.

If you have the 950 (9 1/2 inch) coil you can detect most coins within 6-8 inches...possibly a little deeper.

I think they use the same coils as the XLT, IDX, and IDX Pro.You can look on Jimmy Sierra website and they used to offer a Hot Shot Style, 15 inch or 24 inch coil for that detector.

You can also look on the White's website (if you don't have a manual) and download a manual .

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
I looked at the manual earlier today,didnt get much from it except how to ground balance it.I dont have one I was thinking of buying one.I was thinking this detector might be a substitute for a two box for finding caches less than 5 feet deep,but if it hits on rusty nails then it might not work so well.I will check out that guys site,I watched a few videos with him in them today and he seems like a real guru.

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
I totally agree with "dimeman's" post. I'm from Missouri, you'll have to
demonstrate for me any machine that will find a coin at five feet. I think
that may be slightly overstated, or whatever. (blklab)

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
I was reading on Jimmy Sierra's website and the target has to be large to be detected at those depths,I asked him the question would it work me to death digging up shallow nails when the objective would be larger deeper targets? so we will see what he has to say.I think maybe the only way to find it out is to get one and build a test garden

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Deese said:
I was reading on Jimmy Sierra's website and the target has to be large to be detected at those depths,I asked him the question would it work me to death digging up shallow nails when the objective would be larger deeper targets? so we will see what he has to say.I think maybe the only way to find it out is to get one and build a test garden

I think it would not register shallow nails... it probably ground rejects them when you adjust the setting.

If you had a 55 gallon barrel buried at 5 or 6 feet, the detector with a 15 inch coil might sound off on it. :wink:

If you are searching for large items, coffee cans, or glass jars full of coins, I think the detector and the 950 coil would find it at least-- between 12-24 inches. One question: Have you ever dug a hole 12 inches or more?????

To see how much fun you are going to have..... Dig out a 12 inch deep hole in your test garden wide enough for a coffee can sized target, full of coins at the bottom of the hole. :icon_pale:

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Dimeman said:
Deese said:

I think it would not register shallow nails... it probably ground rejects them when you adjust the setting.

If you had a 55 gallon barrel buried at 5 or 6 feet, the detector with a 15 inch coil might sound off on it. :wink:

If you are searching for large items, coffee cans, or glass jars full of coins, I think the detector and the 950 coil would find it at least-- between 12-24 inches. One question: Have you ever dug a hole 12 inches or more?????

To see how much fun you are going to have..... Dig out a 12 inch deep hole in your test garden wide enough for a coffee can sized target, full of coins at the bottom of the hole. :icon_pale:
I dug a rail car wheel up that was over a foot deep,I'm not a whimp.I found that with a little $200 tesoro,do you really think the 9.5 coil will get a jar at 12+ inches? I dont know,I need to test it.A fellow on this forum has offered to sell me a ul-3 used,and I have agreed to buy it so we will see just what it will do.I did read on Jimmy Sierra's site that it is the same box as the 5900 and 6000 whites with no dicrimination.I am still waiting for Jimmie's reply to my question,and I will post it on here when I get it.

gw1952

Nov 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, E-TRAC
If you need any discrimination no go. It is a all metal machine. Buried caches at 5' possibly but not a coin at 5'.
If you want depth the MXT 300 will get good depth and still find coins in mineralized soil. Also auto ground track.

robEg

Greenie
May 3, 2012
I have one and i'd put it up against any other. I have a 9.5 coil on it and yet i have dug down far and just gave up knowing i'm in back fill parks and i'm talking 2'. Like the web site states it's a tool and up to the user to get the most out of it. Gold,silver and coins i know, the trash dont even fool me any more. We all have what we like and i'll be sure to post the 5' find if i ever have one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions