Covering external speaker on M6??

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I was cleaning the M6 tonight, end-of-season bath time for the detector. I could hear that there were dirt particles inside the control housing and so I removed the cover, and some very find dirt particles came out. The only way they could have gotten in there is from the speaker holes. Do any of you tape or otherwise cover up those holes so that dirt doesn't get in there and damage the circuitry? I get really dirty with the M6, mostly hunt the woods. I also always use headphones so it shouldn't make a difference, I just want to see what you guys think and if any of you have ever done this before. Thanks!

Joe

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the whites stickers or tape. It will keep dirt and moisture out if you get stuck in the rain I would say it is a good practice.

Hutch

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clear packing tape for mine and it works for covering the meter face to stop scratches..

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Thanks for the replies guys! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this stuff before. I'll get some tape on there right away!

Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use black duct tape. Covers the holes and blends in perfect.

Yes duct tape is the cheapest way to go. I sometimes dress down the detector too so it doesn't look good enough to steal.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Sniffer Elf said:
Whites actually sells stickers to cover the speaker grill

Now that a couple of you guys mentioned the White's stickers, I do recall being offered some of them from a fellow White's hunter, but I didn't know those were for covering the holes. Still, I think the black electrical tape works fine, it won't let any moisture in and won't peel away as easily. And, it blends into the black paint job perfectly. Thanks again!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread