Advice with m6.

ronnie in florence

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2008
princeton wv
Detector(s) used
whites m6, fisher f2
Recently purchased a m6 and tried it out Sat with less then expected results. All I found was a 1939 penny, old button, and a old pocket knife with about a 100 pcs of alum. From pop tabs to very small pcs of alum. All hit very good at different depths. I know im doing something wrong because I have heard and read nothing but good about this detector. I was seaching a old farm with 2 old houses and a barn. I have it these before with a fisher f2 and figured the m6 would smoke it. But did not. Any advice would be really appreciated.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Old farm houses scream small coil. Small aluminum pieces are tough on any detector. The only way to evenly compare detectors is have them both with you. Sweep a target with one then the other. Dig it out and see.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
You're VDI #'s should give you an indication as to what it has found. #'s bouncing around are usually junk, and #'s in the 20's are usually pulltabs. I think a small coil would also be a great help, but it seems there might be more to it. Did it ground balance OK?? Did you lock it or let it trac?? There is also the chance that nothing else good was to be found. I have done many old cellar holes and homesteads and finding coins is pretty rare. Lots of iron junk, broken tools and the like are more common. Try another spot and see if your luck changes, the M6 really is a good machine. Good luck

Greg

OP
OP
R

ronnie in florence

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2008
princeton wv
Detector(s) used
whites m6, fisher f2
Thanks alot for the replys fellows. I do think i need smaller coil. What would ya recommend? I was thinking the 6-10, or 5-3.

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
A fellow detectorist who has the M6 told me it will discriminate much better with a double-d coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions