MXT tones?

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have only used relic mode in all metal there is two tones a high and low and both will come across broken pending on ground and how Strong the signal is.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Since the MXT is a threshold machine, although it can be run silent but not advised, in relic mode with trigger in center (primary search mode) you basically have two tones, anything below your discrimination setting will respond with a low grunt tone and anything above will give you a high tone. So in relic mode you get a tone for ALL targets no matter where you have the disc set because looking for relics you may or may not want to dig iron and such. If in relic mode and the place is iron and trash infested and you don't want to hear the constant grunt you can flip the trigger forward to the ALTERNATE search mode.

In Coin and Jewelry mode anything below the disc setting will be silent, you will actually hear the threshold go silent when you pass over a discriminated out target. Anything else will be a high pitch if you are not using discrimination. If you are using discrimination it uses a mixed mode audio response. A high tone for any signal strong enough to provide a VDI an all metal tone (prospecting mode) tone when the target is to deep for the MXT to give it a VDI number (still lets you know a target worth checking out is there, just deep.) With that being said I can assure you a silver quarter will give you a different tone or maybe I should say a different pitch of the same tone than you would get with a clad quarter. Geez, hope that made sense, going kind of fast but I am sure someone will correct me if need be.

I won't talk about the Prospecting mode. It has it's own tones but I have only played with it a few time in the almost 7 years I have been using the MXT. Hope this helps and if it doesn't make sense I am sure someone else will.

In the end I guess you would say there are only a few tones on the MXT, thank goodness! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Excellent explanation!!! I appreciate both of your feedbacks and yes, you both are very helpfull. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread