MXT Cache and Relic coil

JamesE

A friend here at the RV park traded his like brand new MXT w/ 6x10 DD and stock coil, for my like new 30-30 Marlin.
We both got something we'll use more. ;D

Would like opinions on which cache and relic coil to get for it. Based on weight, depth, stability, and durability. The MXT may be used by newbies in standard program mode. Would really like something that is 'plug and play' or has clear details for tweaking the stock mode.

Most use for it would be MD'ing Iowa GT's with the nephews.

Thank you all, Jim
If anybody has one (like new) to sell, PM me.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the 2 coils you got are pretty good. If you want deeper, get a bigger DD coil. The benifits of the DD's are their ability to deal with ground mineralization issues which make them very stable.

Al

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Those are the only two coils I have for my MXT. If you plan on hunting real real trashy areas get a small coil. If you plan on hunting open fields a larger coil might be in order but I have found the 6x10 can cover ground pretty good. Once you find the iron in a field that's where you want to be anyway. By the way, for relic hunting use relic mode, trigger forward and as little desc as you can stand. You can crank the gain up pretty high with the 6x10. I like the two tones in this mode. Grunt for iron, higher tone for nonferrous. Good Luck!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
When I was looking at the MXT, the dealer strongly recomended the 6x10 you already have and said that it's the best coill for that detector. especially for relics. Of course there are many styles and types for tweaking, but I like one main coil and thats it. Sounds like you already have it. Enjoy your new detector!

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

Thanks for the replies, guys!
I'm wanting max. depth for cache and relic, am I hearing correctly that the 6X10 is as deep as a 12'' to 18'' DD?
This sorta' is different than what I thought I knew, but I know I don't know everything.
Jim

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
You "MAY" get more depth on the beigger coils, but for relic and cache, the bigger coil will cover more ground, but may also have more targets under it, which could pose a problem from target seperation.

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

Thanks John,
I'm not wanting to pinpiont with it, but true cache and relic hunting, The jar of dimes on an old homestead, the treasure chest ;D.
I was thinkin' the strategy would be to hunt first with the DD to do a 'clean up' of shallow stuff and the go over it again with something of maximum depth. and then dig to China.
I'm pretty new to cache hunting, am I over thinking it?
Jim

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll get some added depth with bigger coils. But like John said, that 6x10 will hit a jar of dimes I'd bet around 18" or so.
Even my first machine which was an old TR could hit beer cans a foot deep easily. That was the old fashion...(funny way to look at it) 8" coil. But there are bigger DD coils....

I'd say try your mxt in all metal and see what you're finding with no disc and how deep...then make your decision based on that if you think you'll need bigger.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread