4X6 coil on the MXT....Is it a good combination?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking into getting another coil for coin shooting in those trashy areas. I have looked at the 4X6 DD and have almost made my mind up on it I think. Does anyone use this combination? What kind of depth are you getting on dimes and quarters? How about it in looking for civil war relics? Any opinions are welcome, Tim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an MXT and the 4x6 coil it works good in the trashy areas, but if your looking at more depth with good separation of targets you should probably get the 6x10DD. It has good separation along with depth, the 4x6 coil is good on separation but I've been working an 1800's site and feel I might be missing some deep targets especially when the ground is real dry. I got mine with bonus bucks so it was a free coil if I would have had an extra 30 dollars then I would have got the 6x10DD. Lots of people use that coil 90% of the time its thier first choice most of the time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster said:
I have an MXT and the 4x6 coil it works good in the trashy areas, but if your looking at more depth with good separation of targets you should probably get the 6x10DD. It has good separation along with depth, the 4x6 coil is good on separation but I've been working an 1800's site and feel I might be missing some deep targets especially when the ground is real dry. I got mine with bonus bucks so it was a free coil if I would have had an extra 30 dollars then I would have got the 6x10DD. Lots of people use that coil 90% of the time its thier first choice most of the time.
This is a true statement. The 4x6 is a super coil for the trashy areas to cherry pick but lacks the better depth of the larger coils. with its DD configuration it is hot down the center more so than a concentric coil and has a bigger foot print at the bottom of the field. The larger coils however while having the depth, get to many targets under the coil at the same time.

The only way to get it all is to remove ALL the metal from the top layer and then go over it again to remove all the deeper targets. This is more like work and something we want to avoid at all costs.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the 4x6 for seperation in the trashy areas.........I really like the DD type coils and I know they can cover alot of ground in a shorter period of time. I was thinking of the larger 6x10 later on for that reason but I thought I would get the 4x6 to start with. I like the idea of the 4x6 but was wondering which one would be better as I have not seen much input on between the 4x6 and the 5.3 coils..........I am curious about depth for the most part.......i have read somewhere that a fellow using a 5.3 was getting up to 8 inches on a dime!!!! Any input is welcome...............Tim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5.3 coil is not a DD coil so its not going to be as good as the 4x6DD for separation, but it is still pretty good at it only being 5.3 in size and will get deeper than the 4x6DD a little bit. You can get closer to fences with the 4x6DD though. A good way to search fence lines with the 4x6DD is to put it along the fence not by the poles and let it balance out the fence then track lock running the fence line then, only right next to the poles is where you have problems then. You should be able to get real close to the poles with the 4x6DD anyway. In harsh ground the 4x6DD will probably get as deep as the 5.3 as DD coils are really good for tracking in harsh ground.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
There is no finer trash picker than the 4X6DD. I am talking heavy trash though and unless it's an interesting spot I usually pass. A little less trashy I use the 6X10 for better depth and still good seperation.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin Nugget said:
There is no finer trash picker than the 4X6DD. I am talking heavy trash though and unless it's an interesting spot I usually pass. A little less trashy I use the 6X10 for better depth and still good seperation.
I ditto that,I carry both and am lost without either one!No small coil is going to give you great depth.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I am kind of back tracking with my decesion about the 4x6. I called Gerry @ Gerry's metal detectors in Idaho (for those of you who are not familiar with him please look him up on the web as he is a very fine fellow and he will answer all of your questions about any unit too. Plus he takes people to the UK and Alaska for gold and relic hunting trips....Also he does field test for all of the major manufactor's) I give credit where credit is due and if I am in the market for a new unit or accessories I go to him. Anyway after talking with him about my specific detecting needs he too suggested the 6X10DD coil. I just received it yesterday and have yet to put it on my MXT. I am still going to get a smaller coil just because I feel as though it is an essential piece of equipment. I think when I do though it will probably be the 5.3 eclipse just to get a little deeper. You know I read alot about people who have found coins at greater than average depths. I guess it all depends to where you live and soil conditions. I have not found a silver coin at a depth of greater than 8 inches. I have never found a CW bullet below 6 inches and I know the machines I have used can find relics well beyond 8 inches. I was wondering what kind of depth on average are you fellow T'netters getting for the coins you find? Tim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not hunted a whole lot of area's yet but the 1800's coins I've been finding the deepest one was at 7". My coins are in the Indiana section in the finds post's just look for wingmaster on the started by thread. Most was 4" to 6" deep and found in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread