Im off and running!

ER Doc

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2009
Destin, FL
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
I'm off and running!

Alright everyone, I finally bought my first metal detector today. Went out and bought a new White's Prizm 6T and after about 20 minutes in my back yard, I'm 66 cents richer! I think I'm really going to like this hobby. First challenge is trying to master the machine on the beach here at Destin Florida. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Re: I'm off and running!

Welcome Doc hang in there it will get worse before it gets better. :headbang:
C :icon_thumleft:

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Just remember that beach digging is pretty easy. Don't use much, if any, discrimination. Just enough to knock out the small iron and nails. If you are digging up pull tabs, foil and bits of aluminum, then you are also going to hit the gold. If you discriminate out the tabs, foil, etc. then you will also be discriminating out gold.

With the 6T, I don't think you will have much trouble running the sensitivity pretty high in the dry sand. You may have to cut back some if you hit the wet sand due to the salt water conductivity. In the wet sand, better to have a stable machine running a little less sensitivity than having an erratic machine because an erratic machine will not run correctly and won't find much.

Have fun.

Jimmy4

Sep 2, 2009
Battle Creek, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ace 150, Etrac

Glad to here you joined the rest of us diggers! You'll have fun no doubt...its like a new adventure every time!!
It will be interesting to see how you feel about your new detector once you get some time under your belt, keep us updated with finds too! HH jim :laughing9:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've never had the 6T, but did have an Eagle Spectrum. Never had any problems on the beach with it here in Navarre.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

therover said:
Just remember that beach digging is pretty easy. Don't use much, if any, discrimination. Just enough to knock out the small iron and nails. If you are digging up pull tabs, foil and bits of aluminum, then you are also going to hit the gold. If you discriminate out the tabs, foil, etc. then you will also be discriminating out gold.

With the 6T, I don't think you will have much trouble running the sensitivity pretty high in the dry sand. You may have to cut back some if you hit the wet sand due to the salt water conductivity. In the wet sand, better to have a stable machine running a little less sensitivity than having an erratic machine because an erratic machine will not run correctly and won't find much.

Have fun.
Good solid advice. Keep the coil level during the sweep and over lap or your just taking a chance of getting the coil over something. Good luck and have fun. Wear mirrored sunglasses during the summer so the babes don't see you staring at them. Hope you have a lot of fun like the rest of us.

BigSteve

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2009
Carmichaels,Pa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 505,Tesoro Cortes,Vaquero,Whites MXT

Hi Doc-welcome on deck. Bet you will like this as a good stress relief hobby don't know how you ER doctors do it but we are glad you are there for us. Turn off the cell phone, get lost and hunt. P.S. you live in a great area to do all kind of hunts. BigSteve

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ER Doc! Are you still in the Destin area? I had a medical practice in the 80's and still have my house there. My MD hunting buddy and I found the 25 # Grayton Beach Meteorite in '84. Still go down to hangout, fish and MD. Drop me a note if you have the opportunity! VERDE!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright everyone, I finally bought my first metal detector today. Went out and bought a new White's Prizm 6T and after about 20 minutes in my back yard, I'm 66 cents richer! I think I'm really going to like this hobby. First challenge is trying to master the machine on the beach here at Destin Florida. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Congrates on ur new machine while back I had a prizm.4 & liked everything about it kick started me into the hobby & haven't looked back since, I've had a lot of hobbies in my time this one by far is the most fun, back on track. Ur off to a great start u got a well built detector so read ur manual & learn as much as possible ull have a great time & if u don't have yet I'd suggest gettin a pinpointer to go with ur machine it'll help quite a bit in locating ur find & less damage to it as well. Lots of great guys here that'll help u along the way good luck & hh

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha another that's the second time I did that not looking at the date I just saw a post for it yesterday so figured it was a new one oh well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread