MXT questions

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT has 1 tone in coin/jewelry mode and 2 tones in relic mode depending where you have the disc set the low tone will be everything below the disc setting and a high tone for everything above the disc setting. It runs on 13.559 mhz but they say in the book 14mhz. If you are used to a detector like tesoros or any analog machines it is straight forward. No special lessons are required at learning this machine. The instruction manual has everything you need to know on how to operate the MXT. I think it is a very fine machine too especially with the auto tracking ground. It also has boost kind of like the tesoros do. I have not used the tejon although it is a very nice relic machine from what I have seen but, I have had 3 tesoros including the tesoro eldorado and I sold it when I got ahold of my MXT because, in side by side air test the MXT blew my eldorado away. I know air test do not mean alot but it means quite a bit to me when there was that much of a difference between the 2 I was testing. I am not knocking tesoro detectors because they were my favorite for years, and I still like them. I used to have the spectrum eagle and have used the xlt also. I did not like to have to go into the program to adjust a setting and all of that stuff. I like the simplicity of knobs to turn method and keep on trucking. It does have a display which to me comes in handy especially when you are cherry picking targets. The tejon is kind of like the fisher 1265 I had because it has 2 discriminators also. I must say it performed quite well once you get the hang of it but I prefer a little more information when it comes to coinshooting and the MXT has what I need. I have used several different machines over the years and I believe it to be one of the easier to use but less complicated to learn. I do not like having to go into a program to adjust a setting. These are my 2 cents and someone may say something different but I am sticking to my story, Tim

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I appreciate the reply BigTim, it is very helpfull. I like the nobs myself and I think the two tones is nice. Any other opinions or facts out there?

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
The M6. It has the same engine and power as the MXT but it just doesn't have the bells and whistles. The M6 has 7tone TID and is a silent run machine. The MXT is a threshold machine with a prospecting mode. The M6 is a great coin and jewelery and relic machine and doesn't do half bad for prospecting because of it running at 14 kwz.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I dunt need no stinkin tons!! ;D

If you decide to get an MXT, make sure you pick up a copy of Jeff Foster's book "The MXT Edge"
Even though the MXT is easy to learn and use, there is still much it can tell you that is not in the manual. I have used the MXT for 7 years and had this book been available then, I would have been way ahead of the game. I thought I pretty much had the MXT down pat but learned so much more from this book. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread