SHORT TRIP TO NEVADA GHOST TOWN - NEED SOME ADVICE - TAKING MY MXT

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CERTAINLY HOPE SOMEONE CAN GUIDE ME ON THIS JOURNEY I'M ABOUT TO EMBARK ON. A FRIEND IS TAKING ME TO AN OLD GHOST TOWN IN A FEW WEEKS, WESTERN NEVADA. I HAVE AN MXT. THE GHOST TOWN WAS STARTED MID 1860s... MY QUESTIONS HAVE TO DO WITH WHAT THE BEST SETTINGS WOULD BE FOR THE TRIP. I DON'T HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THE MXT ..SEEMS LIKE ALL I EVER GET ARE NICKEL READINGS SO I JUST DIG EVERYTHING !!! FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER THIS TOWN LASTED SEVERAL YEARS AND PLAYED OUT DUE TO A LACK OF "ORE MATERIAL" IT SEEMED TO BE A PROMISING AREA BUT PLAYED OUT QUICKLY. A POST OFFICE, CLASSY HOTEL, AND SOME OTHER BUILDINGS STOOD THERE IN THE DAY BUT FROM THE PHOTOS I HAVE ATTACHED (WHICH IS ALL THE PHOTOS I CAN FIND), NOT MUCH LEFT....BUT COULD PROVIDE SOME GOOD STUFF ..I CERTAINLY HOPE SO... ANY AND ALL INPUTS ARE WELCOME.

Attachments

• GHOSTTOWN1.jpg
    GHOSTTOWN1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • GHOSTTOWN2.jpg
    GHOSTTOWN2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,161

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: SHORT TRIP TO OLD NEVADA GHOST TOWN - NEED SOME ADVICE !!!

In a ghost town that is isolated, you really do want to dig everything....all metal mode.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely all metal as you don't want to pass up a chance at a deep gold coin.

Watch out for snakes, scorpions and good luck,
Sandman

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman said:
Definitely all metal as you don't want to pass up a chance at a deep gold coin.

Watch out for snakes, scorpions and good luck,
Sandman
Ditto to what Sandman said and especially watch out for snakes.

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SNAKES IN OCTOBER ?????

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Snakes have more to do with the temp. than the calendar. your settings will have to be set according to the conditions. Some of the ghost town are littered with small rusty pieces of metal. many of the building had corrugated metal roofs that have decomposed and some areas are carpeted with nails and other small bits of iron. It is impossible to dig all iron in some areas. If you can hunt in AM do so, but if its too trashy you may have to adjust.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
You will want to take a smaller coil with you, in most of the old mining towns the tin cans are all over the place. I have been to several of the towns in Nevada & Utah and there is a lot of trash. I have found piles of old tobacco tins, tin cans by the tons. I use a 4x6dd in the cj mode discrimination set between 3&4 & trigger forward.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rockyredbaron said:
SNAKES IN OCTOBER ?????

lol um down here in the desert our critters roam around year around

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
The real snakes are BLM! They have been destoying (leveling) ghost towns across the west and especially in NV. Rawhide and Sulphur are but two that have been destroyed for big mining interests. Their response is that they do not want squatters on BLM land. It is the same old BS. They want their own club lands with your tax dollar. Think of the history that has been destroyed (leveled). >:(

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of Ghost towns all over Nevada. A little research will reveal dozens near your trip route. The best are the ones you wouldn't even know where there if you didn't know their location. Maybe just one piece of a foundation sticking up from the dirt or covered by sage. Those don't get hunted......much.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
The real snakes are BLM! They have been destoying (leveling) ghost towns across the west and especially in NV. Rawhide and Sulphur are but two that have been destroyed for big mining interests. Their response is that they do not want squatters on BLM land. It is the same old BS. They want their own club lands with your tax dollar. Think of the history that has been destroyed (leveled). >:(

:icon_scratch:When are BLM and Big Mining lumped together??Also,there is far more history under pavement then there ever dreamed of being in remote areas.I agrre it is a shame and a sham but get your facts straight

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup been up there many times.. Como Area... Terrible road if you are going up in a 4x4 make sure your suspension is decent. Its just bumpy is all and by the time you are down and done you will be glad to be off that road. Also that area has a lot of mining claims on it so be careful where you are detecting because it would be illegal to do so on someones claim without permission.. Yes I know this is a older subjct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread