6X10DD coil on my MXT and my first day coinshooting with it

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys I have to admit something here.........You all know I am new to the MXT as I have been posting some questions and all about it. Well I did wind up ordering the 6X10DD coil for it and man I have got to say I am really surprised with this particular combination. I had a real good day today finding my first silver half(Kennedy) along with a mercury dime, 10 wheats, a silver ring and an old Chinese coin along with 1.82 in clad. I have not had a day like that in a while. Everything was in the 7-10 inch range and the target ID was right on 95% of the time. I must say I am quite surprised at how good this combination is and am very pleased at how well the DD coil pinpointed too!!! I have never had a DD coil that dead on with pinpoint. I have used other brands with the DD combination but not like this, I had to just use the toe part of the coil and dig a bigger hole and prayed I did not scratch a coin(with the other brand). With this combo it seems just like a concentric coil. I am hooked!!! Just thought I would share my thoughts with you fellow T'netters!! Tim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new coil should do well for you and probably won't need to take that one off much most use that coil 90% of the time HH.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this coil is supposed to be a lot better for "trashy" areas, but how about the beach? Will it perform better in a salt environment?
Sounds like you have a really good combo there.... Cant wait for the MXT....

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you like the 6x10DD try the 10" D2 I have tried every coil on the MXT and by far this is the best coil out there. goes deep, great in hot soil and pin pointing is dead on.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hutch911 said:
If you like the 6x10DD try the 10" D2 I have tried every coil on the MXT and by far this is the best coil out there. goes deep, great in hot soil and pin pointing is dead on.

Hey Hutch911.............how much weight did that D2 add to your machine? I had one for a minelab once and it added quite a bit of weight.............I also went back to the concentric one because of that too, Tim

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtim1973 said:
Hutch911 said:

Hey Hutch911.............how much weight did that D2 add to your machine? I had one for a minelab once and it added quite a bit of weight.............I also went back to the concentric one because of that too, Tim
for its size the d2 is very light...probably lighter than the 6" x 10"...white's lists it at 17.9 ounces

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Once I got used to my 6X10 it has been my main stay on the MXT. The only time it comes off is when I have to put on the greatest trash picker, the 4X6 or wide open spaces hunter, the Super 12. All in all the 6X10 has been my most versatile, relied on coil. Haven't had the opportunity to use a D2 yet.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
The 6X10 stays on my M-6 most of the time and I like the 4X6 for picking between trash and when working around weeds and shrubs .The 950 stock and the 5.3 are nice coils also but since I started messing with Explorers I have come to prefer DD coils over concentrics .

H H ,
George

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi all, can i ask who makes these coils you are talking about here? are these all White's made or? let me know, thanks.

Chuck.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tattooguy67 said:
Hi all, can i ask who makes these coils you are talking about here? are these all White's made or? let me know, thanks.

Chuck.

Yea they are all made by Whites.........You can find them on their website, they are called eclipse E series coils and they work on the DFX, MXT and the M6............Some like the D2 work on Whites new V3 too, Tim

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirt doctor said:
The 6X10 stays on my M-6 most of the time and I like the 4X6 for picking between trash and when working around weeds and shrubs .The 950 stock and the 5.3 are nice coils also but since I started messing with Explorers I have come to prefer DD coils over concentrics .

H H ,
George

Hey George, what do you think of your M6? I have read alot about it on the Whites site and in their catalog but what kind of searching modes does it have and does it have tone ID in coinhunting mode? I have only read that it has 7 tones and was wondering how they are applied in the search modes, Tim

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Hi again, am still trying to decide on a new coil for my MXT, i have been seeing lots of good words for the 6x10, but i have a problem, i can not see one listed with those specs, i do see the 4x6 which was mentioned as a good trashy area coil, and also the D2 which was what my dealer recomended, but no 6x10, there is one listed as a 5.5x10 Eclipse DD, is that the one you guys are talking about here? please let me know, and also what do you all think about the D2, thanks.

Chuck.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Thanks to all for the info, and to Ankh for the pic and part number, although it does not match the one on the Kelly page, they have the # as 8013216, do you think it is different or did they just change part numbers on it?, also head to head so to speak what are the differences between the 6x10 and the D2? has any one worked with both, and if so did one do better under certain conditions then the other? please let me know, and again thanks for the info.

Chuck.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like I may have to get a 6X10. I think I would like that more than the D2 I have. Anyone interested in a trade? ;D ;D ;D

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Hi Tim ,

First of all let me apologize for forgetting to congratulate you on your great finds in my last post .
Congratulations on your great finds !! :thumbsup: I am really liking the M-6 a lot .The controls are simple but they really do a lot . It has a discrimination button , a sensitivity button which turns it on does the battery check and of course sets the sensitivity ,a toggle switch which controls a beach trac setting and puts your regular auto trac feature on or off . Then forward of the box and just in front of the ID meter there is a trigger switch that when pushed all the way forward allows you to hunt in the 7 tones , when the button is set to the center position it is just uses one tone and when you pull it all the way back toward you to get a numeric depth reading as it also pinpoints with a series of square bars that tell you how well you are pinpointing by the number of bars going across the bottom of the screen ( all the bars showing means you are pinpointing perfectly) .

I like to keep the discrimination low ( right in the middle of the lower settings before you hit the Nickel area ) and crank up the sensitivity as high as conditions allow while leaving it in the 7 tone mode .

The more you use the M-6 the more you will learn how to deal with being fooled by flat bottle caps and pull tabs .If your vdi is between 18 and 20 it is usually a nickel ( I have gotten some at 16 ) .
but then the ground in your area may give you slightly different readings .

Use your vdi and all the info on the decal below your screen it does help .It is also a good idea to dig everything when you are first getting to know your machine . :thumbsup:

H H ,
George

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks Dirt Doctor!!!! I have always wondered about the M6. I run my MXT just like you do on your settings..........I have found one way to ID iron in the single tone mode and that is if the VDI locks on to say penny 70-74 I take and slightly move the coil off center of the target and then it usually will let me know by staying locked on or if it is iron it will say it is, then I do not dig, Tim

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
bigtim1973 said:
Hey thanks Dirt Doctor!!!! I have always wondered about the M6. I run my MXT just like you do on your settings..........I have found one way to ID iron in the single tone mode and that is if the VDI locks on to say penny 70-74 I take and slightly move the coil off center of the target and then it usually will let me know by staying locked on or if it is iron it will say it is, then I do not dig, Tim

Thanks for the great tip Tim , I will certainly try that out on the M-6 . :thumbsup:

H H ,
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread