MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Salt" setting for MXT

It is hard for a company to make a detector that runs great at a saltwater beach (there are two ya know), due to varying amounts of salt and black sand concentrations. If you are having trouble in the wet sand at your location even in the salt mode, turning down the sens. and gain can help. Hot machines are not your friend at the coast's beaches.

norcalrockhunter

Jul 21, 2006
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

OK I got a few questions on this subject
I went to the beach this afternoon with my MXT and head set, now I've had this MD for 5 years now and have taking out of the box for the 3rd time yesterday, so I'm vary new to this,
I set it in salt mode and set my setting to what the instructions said to do as I had them with me LOL rookie!!!!
so when I balanced it out I was off with my wife and my dog, Now I'm one the left side of the coast (west coast) and its northen CA so our beaches are not like you right side guys and gals, as I set out I hit a park bench area and with in a min I hit a dime about 2" so I thought great no problem using it in the sand, so we hit the beach and within 10 mins the park ranger shows up and I was for sure busted, but he said I could MD but without my DOG, this beach is a no DOG beach, WTF!!! have you ever heard of that. so back to the truck we go as I'm heading back things got a bit weird with the MD either I had it set to sensitive or not sensitive enough, because when I went over a target it would not beep it would cut out, it took a few times to figure this out, and once I did figure it out I tried to pin point the item and it would pin point it just fine, I used a bulleye to locate and retrieve the item which was a corona beer cap I found about 50 of them today, so I first maxed out the settings and it still did the same thing, then I set the settings to the lowest I could without missing a 20 lbs gold nugget, and still the same thing, I decided to put the dog in the truck take my wife back out and turn off the MD and re set the ground balance, off we go again and still the same thing, I was picking up a ton of stuff, stuff that was not even there!! I would sweep left to right and front to back and I would get beeps one way and not the other??? am I doing something wrong?
I did manage to work with it but I am sure I missed some things, I did manage to find 4 fishing hooks, how I do not know other then I was digging everthing I hit, I did find 2 dimes and a spoon that set the MD off big time I thought I was loosing my hearing in one ear, so please could someone give me some advise on this,
I didn't have this problem the day before at the park by my house as I found about 2 dollars worth of coin and this thing was on the mark everytime, could it be the sand or salt water, I did MD in the wet sand and dry today

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only time you need to set it to "salt" is if you are in high salty area (like here in florida) and are in WET sand... Regular sand, even at a salt beach, does not require the salt setting (at least on my MXT)... Try that and see if it works right. Also, try using the machine with the adjustments set at the triangle (factory suggested settings) first, then tweak from there as you get used to it..
Good luck, you will love the machine...

RNSpeed

Greenie
Sep 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300, MXT

I had used my MXT at the beach twice with good results. I use the 10DD coil, set it at salt mode, GAIN and DISC on preset and it works ok. Still I get lots of pulltabs and bottlecaps :help:, but also I get coins, also the first time I found a ring.

Im still learning the detector because my main beach detector is a BHID 300 but the MXT works good for me at the beach.

Here are two videos I made with the MXT at the beach.

[youtube=425,350]dH-6-xqqqQs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]4O3Igju8LaA[/youtube]

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

Excellent videos and great information! The MXT is a great machine anywhere and will pick up gold chains as well as nuggets. :icon_thumleft:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had it set to sensitive or not sensitive enough, because when I went over a target it would not beep it would cut out, it took a few times to figure this out, and once I did figure it out I tried to pin point the item and it would pin point it just fin

I don't have an MXT but I think the MXT is like the dfx and depending on how it is set up, will null out if you hit a target the is discriminated out. I.E. ignore bottle caps.. so the threshold hum just goes quiet and you know it is a bad target. I would highly recommend reading the manual front to back and then going outside and using the machine in your yard or a park.
Next day read the manual again front to back and you will have at least 1 light bulb moment if not more.
Go use it again in the yard or park, then read it again.. Next time you hit the beach you will be a happy camper.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have an MXT but I think the MXT is like the dfx and depending on how it is set up, will null out if you hit a target the is discriminated out. I.E. ignore bottle caps.. so the threshold hum just goes quiet and you know it is a bad target. I would highly recommend reading the manual front to back and then going outside and using the machine in your yard or a park.
Next day read the manual again front to back and you will have at least 1 light bulb moment if not more.
Go use it again in the yard or park, then read it again.. Next time you hit the beach you will be a happy camper.
What the heck is 2 trips to the park gonna do for me, unless i use a dump truck to haul park dirt to the beach. A ltho it took 24 reads for me to pass the Ma.driving test.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 5 years old, he most likely pulled the videos

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH .. Thank's i did not notice.. And i see the OP Silver Surfer has not made any post in about a year..

No problem, was just pointing out that could be why videos don't work...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is 2 trips to the park gonna do for me, unless i use a dump truck to haul park dirt to the beach. A ltho it took 24 reads for me to pass the Ma.driving test.

A bottle cap or a coin reacts the same in dirt or sand.. The idea was to read the instructions, try the different things you read about and understand how the machine works.. Then when you get the the beach you will have more luck finding what you want..

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
I have an mxt pro and have good result at the beach and I live up on the calif, Oregon board. For the beach wet sand 10dd coil, dry 6by10dd or 10dd. For lots of good info on mxt's go to fine treasure form. And go to the jump button to select the mxt metal detector there you will fine everybody with the same detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread