Best coil for nugget hunting on the MXT?

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I have yet to find the time to go nugget hunting yet but when I do I plan on using the 6X10 DD. The DD widescan coils will handle the more mineralized soil common in nugget hunting areas better than a concentric coil. I've read some good things about nugget shooting using the 1400 also.

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
The smaller the coil the less the mineralized ground will bother it. Also wide scan coil is the best for mineralized ground.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Yes, a smaller coil does not have to deal with as much soil thus minimizing the affects of the mineralization. A smaller coil is also more sensitive to smaller targets. But you generally lose some depth with a smaller coil. And we all know how deep gold likes to go. All the way to bedrock eventually. So like many things in life there are trade offs. :)

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
joe,
go with the small head. that is all i use when detecting gold here in colorado or Arizona. good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enough said. The smaller coil alows you to get between the rocks and brush where a larger coil can not get into, plus it is more sensitive to tiny nuggets and flakes.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread