jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting the other day in an area that was a MDer's paradise. Dozens of old home sites marked by cellar holes and old drive ways and roadways, all long abandoned since the great depression.

I was about 2 hours into a good day having found a cool 1800's button when my DFX went bezerk without apparent cause. It now constantly reads "overload" with the audio racket. I took the coil cover off to make sure there wasn't something metal wedged in it. I've also replaced the batteries w/o success.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was done to fix it.

I'm hoping I don't have to send it in since I'm short of funds.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jernigan00

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Sounds like a coil has shorted or opened. Try a known good coil on it first. Then reset every thing to default. There is not much you can fix yourself unless your an Electronics tech, with a lot of test equipment. You might call Whites, and talk with them, they are real good people in Sweet Home.
Good luck.
C

OP
OP
jernigan00

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CO AU Man for the advice.

Unfortunantly, I don't have another coil nor know anyone else with one I can use.

I'll give Whites a call Monday, 'cause your right.........I'm not a techie when it comes to electronics.

Jernigan00

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had mine go bezerk on occassion, I strongly suspected electrical lines or under ground sources, as it cleared up when I moved a distance away.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Could be power line interferance. Mine has done it to me from time to time. Pull the battery out of the back of the unit while it is on. Resets the processor. Safe for the unit.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread