XLT vs. QXT

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Which in your opinion is better? The XLT has a very good reputation and the QXT is often labeled as difficult to get used to. I believe that the QXT was underrated considering that it was released in the era of the XLT and the XL Pro. Some even say that the QXT is better in the depth department than the XLT. If anyone out there has used either or both I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
DDDinMD

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with Mxt or dfx higher frequency better on gold.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
If you are hunting gold, then get something else. The QXT is very different than the other Whites machines. It looks like you use a XLT now??? You may find the QXT very difficult to understand, but I'll bet its as deep or deeper than an XLT if thats what you want. You can find used quantums pretty often and they are usually inexpensive. Get one and give it a try, you may end up liking it.

Greg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't under stand these answers you are getting for you never said or asked about it as a gold detector? About the QXT i never saw one and never knew of any one that used one.............

nosajhunter

May 28, 2009
I have loved my QXT Pro, it has far exceeded my expectations.
Depth is very good (can't compare to xlt). Have found coins at depths deep enough that I have almost given up digging, but my pinpointer would make me dig that last inch to find the old coin.
I found my QXT Pro on a classified ad, and it was a few years old, but looked brand new(I was very happy), and looks are not what counts, it has worked flawlessly for me. (the previous owner said he never read the instructions and he could not get it to find anything in his backyard using the default settings, and then gave up
- lucky for me) ;D

***What really helped me make this decision was to download both(or all) of the detectors instruction manuals that you are interested in and compare features, settings, etc..***

I feel like it (QXT) will do a great job on the preset settings, but with a little tweaking, you can fine tune it to fit the area that you are in. (very versatile)
Good Luck with your decision either way!

baldy804

May 6, 2010
hello all ive owned both machines for awhile over 5 years and i can honestly say qtx will compete with the xlt in everyway with factor presets good depth outta both pennies at 6-8 inches easily the only thing ive noticed that barres telling is that the qxt will out preform the xlt on nickles everytime it loves nickles that being said both are great machines.i upgraded my back up machine so i have one for sale on ebay right now with 3 extra coils and hard case 2 pinpointers and alot more u might check it out the blue max 1500 coil will go way down that coil alone costs $199.00 hope i could be of help to u

vet67coupe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
I had an xlt and in mineralized ground such as wv and ky wouldn't do more than 5 inches.........never have tried the other was you using it in heavy mineralized ground......BiLL

baldy804

May 6, 2010
well bill im in wyoming so i guess thats highly minerilized theres an iron mine about 20 minutes from the house and coil produced all over and still find clad down 6-8 inches easily with both the xlt and the quantum xt :icon_pirat::)

vet67coupe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Well I am close to Williamson WV about 5" was best I could do around here with xlt, me and x father in law went to elkhorn city KY and I dug one of the deepest pennys I ever dug about 10" down. I have done better with minelab but loved the way the xlt was set up and getting back into it after 10 years and don't know which way to go.......BiLL

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites in the U.K. never bothered importing the QXT Pro as the QXT hadn't sold to well because there were areas where they just didn't work to well, while the XLT could be made to work anywhere where there was a firm soil matrix. XLT didn't like light dry/fluffy soil to much and would not be a machine of choice on wet salt beaches (as with most single frequency detectors) but the vast range of adjustments did have positive advantages.

I was in an area at the time where the QXT would outperform the XLT on many sites if noise reduction was off. It was underrated but then so were the Minelab Tribune/Musketeer as not enough tried them to defeat Minelabs own multifrequency propagander.

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Lately there has been a lot of people discovering what this sleeper machine QXT can do.And it does leave the XLT behind in a lot of areas especially when it comes to working in high trash areas.And it likes silver too!

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Lately everbody on another forum has discovered how well they do,and yes they out perform the XLT especially if you ground balance em manually to your ground.They love silver and do get deep depth.The QXT PRO and QXT are the same just different decal.If you have the 1.2 program its the newest upgrade Q II can be upgraded to the QXT. so that it performs more functions etc.I have a mint QXT in unused shape with the 9.5 standard coil and 5.3 coil.And still haven't used it.But couldn't resist the deal when i saw it,and knew what it could do.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the QXT two filter, or four like the xlt? XLT is killin me in my trash spot even with that 5.3.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a QXT on fleabay and waiting for delivery. This will be my first detector. It is coming with an 8.5" (?) Blue Max and a 5.3" Blue Max, and a pointer ($300). It seems to be well cared for and in good shape. I wanted a used XLT but just wasn't ready to go the $450 until I saw how much I would actually used my machine......I think the QXT will be a good first for me. Once I practice with it an learn my machine. I have quite a few 100+ year old houses on big lots, never hunted, and my main focus will be silver coins, at least for now (LOL).......Are these coils going to do the trick, and any pointers about the QXT? I've been having a hard time finding anything on them. I did download a White's manual and a very good article on hunting the QXT....Thanks guys.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn noise redection off to maximise depth.

Brian

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
I have had two QXT Pro over the years and I think they are one of Whites underated detectors. I have also had a couple of XLTs and I prefered the QXT. I found them to easier to use as you can use a much slower sweep speed. As one poster reported, you can assign a high tone to the zones you want to hear. I NEVER used the noise reduction and if you do, you will lose considerable depth. I did not care for the 7 zone target ID, but I found it to be a very deep detector. I consider this detector to be a real sleeper. Good luck. R.L.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the QXT is a sleeper and i also preferred it to the xlt, and our ground is fairly mineralized, was my farvorite till the T-2

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one about a month ago for $250. It certainly is great on coins and silver. Still getting to know it.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a Quantuum XT recently and it wasn't too bad of a learning curve, after all. The only thing I miss on it is a metered response, but my ear is working out pretty good spotting trash. I now run it with only the #7 ID tone on, and I don't discriminate any signals except low and high iron. Turn noise reduction off. It routinely gives me a loud clear tone on pennies and even dimes 8" and deeper. I say 8" because the hole is well up to the mid handle of my Lesche. Gives me a heart attack every time, because I'm sure a signal that clear, that deep,... and pinpointing so well....has got to be a silver..... Then all I find is a dime and a stinkin' Lincoln. :BangHead: But I am amazed how strong the machine reacts to small target deep. Mine has the Pro software (V 1.2 ) which is an easy upgrade if your QXT isn't a Pro model.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread