I need a small coil... Concentric or Eliptical??

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided I need a small coil to use on the trashy areas that my 6X10 just cant handle... Question is, do I go with the concentric small coils, or the eliptical like the 4X6 Eclipse?
Any and all suggestions appreciated... Also, is anyone looking for a 12" Super coil? I havent used mine since I got the 6X10...

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both. If your wanting it for smaller places, nooks and crannies, I personally go with the elliptical - just because of the advantage of having almost a "tip" on the coil that you can stick between places that a round one doesn't quite fit.

However, if most of your detecting is fairly open, just has some overgrowth, either one would do. I just think my elliptical is a little more versatile for the crowded situations.

B

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I have both. If your wanting it for smaller places, nooks and crannies, I personally go with the elliptical - just because of the advantage of having almost a "tip" on the coil that you can stick between places that a round one doesn't quite fit.

However, if most of your detecting is fairly open, just has some overgrowth, either one would do. I just think my elliptical is a little more versatile for the crowded situations.

B
My vote goes to the pointy thing too for the reasons given above.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like it will be the eliptical then.... I know I am in love with my DD 6 X 10, and havent used the stock 12" coil since I put it on.... I keep thinking that I should go over the soccer field that was so good tome with the 12" though, in case I missed something deep....

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High mineralzation 4x6, mid to low then the 5.3 which has much better depth..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread