Which Operating Mode do you use?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well since you are kind of new to the mxt I would take and learn how the mxt response to coins and then learn the numbers on the vdi. If you take your time to look I started a post of the whites forum for mxt vdi numbers, that may help you out a little if you learn the numbers. I learned the machine in coin mode first, then I switched to relic mode as I like to hear all of the resposes the machine is telling me especially the 2 tones. This is how I set up my mxt when I go detecting;
I ground balance it then I set the switch to auto track
I turn the gain up as far as it will go without it giving me false signals(Where I live it is about +2 generally)
I search in relic mode and I turn the discriminator knob to where it is between 3-1/2 to 4
I like to hear the tones it is giving me with the high and lower one
If it is giving a mixed signal and it stays on the positive side more than the negative side of the scale I am going to dig especially if it is 6 inches deep or more. The mxt is pretty good at ID'ing something 6 inches or less. I would not recommend searching in prospecting mode because it turns into a totally different machine. It will pick up everything that is in the ground that is iron and highly minerealized, even tree roots, so it will be a nightmare trying to determine whether to dig or not in prospecting mode. Maybe this will help you out a little. There is alot more about the MXT on the regular whites forum if you take the time to look. Tim

OP
OP
biguglydude

biguglydude

Feb 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Explorer S
Yep...the Prospecting Mode does seem a bit confusing when swinging the MD. Sounds like a good plan...I think I'll spend some more time in the Coin Mode then work into the Relic Mode. I kind of like the two tone operating option idea. :notworthy:

Coins, Jewelry, or anything of value I guess is what I'm looking for. The VDI numbers seem to be common across the all the modes. If I understand this, a 30 could be a Ring, Tab, Button, or Gold. So what it says on the screen really doesn't matter does it? :dontknow: It's just the programmers interpretation of the the VDI number in realation to the Mode setting. What you think you want to find.

I guess that's why the Prospecting Mode seemed appealing to me. It gave me the VDI number with no guess as to what I would like it to be. ;D

OP
OP
biguglydude

biguglydude

Feb 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Explorer S
The last few times out I used the Relic mode. That is really awesome. The low tone is very helpful in keeping the pace moving. Not having to look at the display at every beep (as in C/J) works well. I think I'll hang out in this mode for a while. Thanks guys! ;D

Sshebba

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2010
Ephrata, WA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300 & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good info here! I am fairly new to detecting (1 year) and I just tried my MXT 300 in Relic mode at the beaches at Ocean Shores. The VDI kinda threw me off with the large objects being displayed quite frequently which usually netted me a beer can! Though I did end up with a handful of clad and a Porche, a Bulldozer, a Dumptruck and a Hacky Sack. (Found buried in the sand next to some tin foil.)

What would be the optimal setting on my machine for a beach hunt at the ocean? Though I did find coins I also seemed to have a lot of false signals which I attributed to the black sand, possibly being highly mineralized.

Going from Coin mode to Relic mode was very different. Which mode/settings would be best for the beach and why?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to step it up,go to relic mode,flip your trigger forward,and turn your disc off.I never look at the screen and my machine has paid for it self over 10 times

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the area I'm detecting is really clean I use the coin mode, if there's some trash in the area I'll use the relic mode so relic mode is what I use most of the time. The MXT seems to be alot quieter in the relic mode when there's alot of iron in the ground.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster said:
If the area I'm detecting is really clean I use the coin mode, if there's some trash in the area I'll use the relic mode so relic mode is what I use most of the time. The MXT seems to be alot quieter in the relic mode when there's alot of iron in the ground.

I think you have that back words???Coin,is running with more disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread