Hello, got a question about a whites 4900/dl max

Skyeye

Apr 20, 2010
Hello all, I am new to both the m/d world, as well as this site. I picked up a whites 4900/dl max with a blue max 800 precision scan head for 15$ 2 years ago. I never even tried it till a few days ago. Well once I popped the batteries in I was out side.I am no where near unimpressed. Though the "search button" on the handel sticks every now and then, I am pleased with it. My hardest find so far was a 1/4" long by (1/32"?) diameter bolt @ ~ 9 inches. It was extremely small, and I held it in my hand for almost 4 Min's trying to find it.
I went on sunday to a lake near here and found mainly trash, but i did pick up a pair of 50$ sunglasses (women's sadly) as well as a seemingly old .22 short round. It has a triangle with a v inside it, and the dent seem to have come from a revolver rather than a smaller pinned rifle.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's my few questions.

1. How does this model rate 1-10?
2. What would it best be used for (eg rings, coins relics)?
3. If anyone has experience with these in the south east, any advice on the settings I should use for the red clay in middle Tennessee?
4. Are these units water proof?
5. How much battery life should I expect without headphones?

Thank you all in advance, I am looking forward to this great hobby :laughing9:

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
You got a great deal!! I have owned both the 4900 DL Max and the Pro and they both go deep.I have found an 1887 Indian head at around 7" and a civil war button prolly around closer to 8 or 9".My best advice is to get a different coil like a regular 9.5" coil of the same freq. or something bigger like the hot head.Just listen for the strong repeatable signals and run the least amount of discrimination that you can get away with.The coil is waterproof,not the control box.I could go out several times for a few hours each on a set of batteries but your best bet is get rechargeables.If you have anymore questions send me a pm.Hope this helps and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread