whites image screen?

K

Ky S.centeral

Had a BH now a couple years, I keep re rereading the directions, and too frustrated to swing much anymore. I have seen whites advertising a moel that has a screen does it show u the image of what your digging, can someone tell me a little of the basics on this unit and price

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Look at www.whiteselectronics.com

You are probably referring to the DFX or the XLT models. I am not familiar with the DFX, I have an XLT. What that machine shows you are a few graphic displays that might indicate what you are detecting. It shows a graph called a "Signagraph" which indicates a set of bars on a graph that correspond to cheracteristics of the metalic composition of the target. From that the machine will display a VDI or Visual Discrimination Indication number of what that object might be. The number is a scale from -95 to +95 with zero in the middle. From there it will show you Icons that show what an item might be based on common objects and known cheracteristics that MIGHT match that reading.

Different metals react differently and the machine can make some assumptions to their metalic compositions. Some of the icons that are displayed might be a piece of foil, a nickel, a ring.... It shows icons for dimes, quarters, dollars and halves. As well as nails. The read out is not a definate identification. Only a possibility, a guide perhaps. You then decide if you want to pursue it or not. It is best to get to know the numeric identifications of the VDI for the items that you like to find. Knowing the number ranges that correspond to Pennies or Nickels or Quarters will help you more. Don't ignore things though as an item that reads as Foil can often turn out to be a gold ring, or a nickel. Ignoring pennies might cause you to miss other things. Personally, I just dig everything.

Once you have found something there is a little trigger under the display. I click on that and sweep back and forth in an X pattern. When you pull the trigger, there is a bar graph of 2 horizontal bars and a depth number. Keep making slow Xs until the number gets as low as it will go and the two bars are even with each other. When you have done that, you should be directly over your target and the number displayed is the depth that your item MIGHT be. Again, it is only an idication to help you but may not be completely accurate. I find that sometimes large or dense items like soda cans or toy cars, can be quite deep but read as they are about 3" down. I have found cans and diecast cars at about 6" when they read only 3. Similarly, fine items like foil and thin wire or paper clips can be right on the surface, less than an inch, but be reading at 3 or 4" down.

Personally, I just dig anything that I get a good solid signal on. I have the XLT and it has several programs for different types of targets. Prospecting will detect anything but if I recall correctly, will only show the display and sound on gold. People use this when they are out hunting for gold nuggets etc. Then there is Coins which is tuned to reject or discriminate out IRON and other stuff that is not likely to be Coins. I usually use the program called Coin and Jewelry which will ID and beep on objects that are within the range of most coins and jewelry. There is Jewelry Beach which is pretty much the same as Coin and Jewelry but is enhanced to account for conditions present around salt water beaches. Here on Lake Michigan, I don't search in salt water so I just use Coin and Jewelry most of the time. Relic has the least amount of discrimination or rejection and will sound at almost anything. I play around with Relic from time to time just to see what I might find. Find a lot more junk in the process, Of course.

The XLT runs around $800 and the DFX can run upward of $1000.

There is also the Prizm line in the range of $500 and less. Some of them will show similar information on their screens but in more simple displays and not as detailed. Makes it easier for some people.

Personally, I like the XLT and bought it based on some of the ads that you might be referring to. However, if you have a grand to spend, there are a lot of people out there who will highly recommend the DFX.

When looking to buy things, I often try to find online instruction manuals so I can understand some of the features that are present on the machines etc. Whether my cameras or my telescope or my metal detector, reading the operator manual often tells a lot more detail than a sales brochure.

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/2001_Models/Spectrum XLT Instruction Manual.pdf

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Ya, the Beachhunter ID is almost useless to a point. Gives tones in disc on ALL metals it sees. low, medium, high. Using it at a typical beach can drive you nuts. It would be much better if it gave NO signal on iron. I will turn on my radio if I want sing songy tones on every swing. White's would be much better putting the DFX guts in a waterproof housing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions