Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chukers said:
liftloop said:
...Dude your doing it ...if there was a gold ring there.. Aaa .. :thumbsup:I think you would of fun it...look at all that stuff.....

well yeah but not as often as I would hope... I find rings... yeah but not all that often. I've learned that I just don't see as many as others.

Thanks

Chukers

Location is one of the keys to finding more gold!!! I still enjoy every day I can get out and Enjoy the hobby and see what Comes out of the sand or the ground!!! HH Chug

Coolhandluke

Feb 20, 2011
Maybe people that drink that much beer just can't afford gold rings. Find a place where they used to drink fine wine and champagne. :sign13:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coolhandluke said:
Maybe people that drink that much beer just can't afford gold rings. Find a place where they used to drink fine wine and champagne. :sign13:

LOL good idea!

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
Having found several gold rings and chains with my V3i I can tell you for a fact they all showed up as pulltabs or foil (chains especially). So, unless I am in a real trash pit, I dig all pull tabs/foil signals when I am in parks or tot lots. If I am out in a cornfield, it is most likely can slaw or a buried beer can (why are they always empty?? Never dug a full one!). If I had passed on the pulltab/foil signals in the park, I would have missed the gold rings and chains. Besides, it looks like you have a good start on your pulltab collection. I have a 30 gallon trash bag that is half full of them and juice bottle caps. Keep swinging...KYBuzzbox

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop me a PM and I will teach you a few tricks on how to hammer the rings with that v3i
I have about got it masterd! I find rings all the time 10+ inches deep and not on a beach!

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you seem to be on the right track Chukers in digging the pulltab #s but another tip would be to go where gold most likely is lost to up your chances for that purdy yella stuff, location location location,soccer, baseball, football fields, have done me well with 9 gold rings last year with VDIs hitting for me at (6 to 50) with that being a large men's gold band, most of them came in at 12 to 18 so you cant just hit the pulltab signals, some close numbers on this would be(9 to 19) 40% -(14 to 34) 25%(27to56) 10% with the larger rings the smaller the percentage gets, .........just got to get the coil over it. :icon_thumright:

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere I read years ago is that in order dig up a 1 gold ring you must dig about 1,500 pull tabs. How about them numbers? :dontknow: If there were a detector that detected only gold rings and disc. or notched out pull tabs, they sell them like hot cakes and the guy be a millionaire! I agree with Sandman & Chug and Red. You got to remember that men's and women's gold rings, etc.; have different alloy's to make them durable. Karat ranges from 6 to 22 and obviously the higher the karat the more gold content. Try getting this book by Clive James Clynick, "XLT Ring Enhancement Programs". A excellent book on rings and discrimination. :read2:

Last year I used my V3 at a Highschool and I was walking along getting signals in the coin range (54 to 88). I got a signal of 14 consistently in both left and right, then did the 90 degree and got the same solid number. Dug 3 inches down and to my suprise a ladies ring with a cross in the center and 14 k. You gotta remember if you get a solid signal (audio) in the ring and pulltab range, most likely a good target. If you get sound bouncing around or one-way signals, most likely trash.

Keep digging, you'll get a ring for sure.

TC-NM :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaleGM said:
you seem to be on the right track Chuckers in digging the pulltab #s but another tip would be to go where gold most likely is lost, to up your chances for that purdy yella stuff, location location location,soccer, baseball, football fields, have done me well with 9 gold rings last year with VDIs hitting for me at (6 to 50) with that being a large men's gold band, most of them came in at 12 to 18 so you cant just hit the pulltab signals, some close numbers on this would be(9 to 19) 40% -(14 to 34) 25%(27to56) 10% with the larger rings the smaller the percentage gets, .........just got to get the coil over it. :icon_thumright:

I am beginning to think there just aren't many lost in my area... I have found a hand full of silver rings just no gold... anything I can get with a consistent signal and hitting on all three frequencies I dig it... and I got alot of pull tabs to prove it. I guess at this point does gold rings hit on all three frequencies or am I missing something by not digging those that hit only on the top two frequencies?

Chukers

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chuckers,

Here is a quick chart that I use and comments/settings for gold rings by others. Hope this helps?

Attachments

• Spectra V3 Settings for Gold Rings_ARC-2.jpg
    Spectra V3 Settings for Gold Rings_ARC-2.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 1,315

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the issue is not you or your detector , the issue is that you are in an area that does not have many gold items in it.
And in less people are at a beach or some place like that , when they drop a ring or see that one is gone they are going to look to try to find it.
I have seen girls spend two days looking for a ring and she found it.
I would try to find another hunting spot that may have more Gold items in it before I started changing a lot of settings on my detector.

And other thing like on my detector , the higher freq tends to work better on Gold items . And find it deeper and smaller .

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like my area, you won't find what isn't there. That doesn't mean you quit looking, it just means you have to adjust your frustration level higher.

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Let's be realistic, If a detector manufacturer wanted to build a machine that could determine a gold ring they in fact could. Bear with me a sec, first of all if my V3 can determine a copper coated zinc penny from a full copper penny that is indeed a start. A 14 kt ring has approx 58.3% gold content, does a pull tab have any gold content? NO, they why does the machine analyze the pull tab the same as the 14 kt ring? Size doesn't really come into play either since I have had a crushed beer can read as a quarter, HOT WHEELS AS A QUARTER AND HALF. Gee does the beer can have any silver, copper in it's molecular structure? NO.These manufactures have been doing this for years, even back 30 yrs ago when I started you still had to dig a multitude of junk targets to maybe find a gold ring once in awhile. 30 yrs later we are still doing the same thing except we have a little more depth and larger coils, better pinpointing, but the main issue is pulltabs and can slaw lids STILL show up in the VDI range of gold. Even my GPX 5000 which is a top of the line machine has the same faults. It reminds me before I retired from Ford, the big Lincoln Town Car was always a desired luxury car, yet Ford used the same componets in the Lincoln as they did the regular Ford products. I could never figure why when I would go to order a Lincoln there was usually a 4-7 week wait. Later on I found out that Ford would only build 100,000 new Lincolns yearly thus controlling the price of the luxury car with supply and demand. What do you think would happen, let's say Minelab, or Whites came out with a machine, (which they could with today's technology) that guaranteed you to tell the difference between aluminum and gold targets, thus digging no more pull tabs or can slaw? Down side is that it would have a $10,000 price tag. Thus the reason the manufactures don't offer this technology that they already have for a few basic reasons.
1. There would in fact be people purchase them, but when compared to the amount of people that couldn't afford them the company would lose money for lack of sales with the already available technology.
2. This would create a vast amount of machines sitting in warehouses not being sold by manufactures thus forcing them to drop the prices of the newly developed gold machine along with other manufactures creating these new machine until the price was acceptable to the general public.
3. Remember years ago when a guy came up with a carburetor that boasted 90 miles per gallon? Did you ever wonder what happened to that idea? Big business as car manufactures are in bed with oil companies and most likely he was paid for his idea thus keeping it from the general public.
Think about what I have written here and you be the judge, is 30 plus yrs enough time with today's technology to produce a detector to distinguish pull tabs from gold rings? You bet your a$$ they can!!!

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When all else fails, just dig everything. You will get sore wrists, arms, knees, and back at the end of the day :-\, but someday you'll be rewarded in getting your ring!

Have fun out there, :thumbsup:

Good Luck.

TC-NM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEVTEC you are misunderstanding what a metal detector does. They report on the CONDUCTIVITY ONLY. It has nothing to do with where they have the names printed on the screen. Higher frequencies help in responding to gold but it still shows as conductivity. Besides if they had detectors that only found gold, do you think they would sell the machines to us? You just need to get hunting where there are more gold jewelry targets to lower the ration or pull tabs to gold rings. :coffee2:

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Time in field time with detector . A wise man told me when I got into this hobby to dig it all and observe what you see . There is not a day that goes buy that I do not learn on this lower end detector . 7 years on a prizmII and some great finds Almost to my second year on a prizmIV .By this time next year I will have a V3I and I will learn each time I swing it . But if you remember what your signal and depth and everything . You can't help but learn. So far on the IV. I can guess to 80 %when I am over a silver dime. wheat penny, and same with silver quarter. There is a learning curve Im sure it is paved with pull tabs JMHO. Rob. I so can not wait to get a hold of that piece of equipment . HH All :coffee2:

mypenneys

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Newburgh Ny
Detector(s) used
Whites DI 6000 Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging for gold

Well as far as the VDI numbers the V3i is the same as my eagle spectrum... they thing with the V3i is, it runs 3 frequencies at once. it transmits at 2.5kHz, 7.5kHz and 22.5kHz, Since I am not just looking for gold, I think running all 3 at once is the best way to go for my hunting needs. I am finding that if at first I dig everything that has a consistent signal on all 3 frequencies then come back later and dig those iffy signals I do pretty good over all.

I have had it almost a year now and have done fairly good with it... I could never go back to a single frequency detector now that I have used this. It is costly... but I plan to have this one for 20 years too... or more. There are several reasons why I chose the V3i over the DFX and I am glad I did. I am using the 950 coil with it rather than the D2 coil that came with it... I had several issues with the D2 coil

I am very comfortable with how it works, so I don't really want to go changing up how it reports its finds to me... but now if changing the VDI numbers would help identify gold rings better I may consider it at least add a new program to try out. I'll have to look into that more.

Chukers

Found my first gold chain yesterday. My vdi numbers where 3 & 4 in Relic Mode with Blue Bar in 3 frequency mode. You need to dig up those foil low frequency signals. And you need to learn how to void out all the -vdi numbers and the AUDIOS TONES. Until you can master the ADVANCED SETTINGS and Set ZERO TONE for all those VDIs. You will get a headake and loose concentration listening to all the chatter. Sometimes I'll run in single frequency. When running in 3 frequency mode you have VDI chatter from 3 frequencys and unless you learn how to rid the tones you have not learned how to master this Great Spectra V3i Detector. Frank. [email protected]

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only dug one gold ring with my v3i but it had a very solid signal of 50. I had a gut feeling before i dug it was gold

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last 3 I dug where all 22 with all 3 frequencies lined up almost perfect from two directions. All 3 were men's 14K bands of about the same size. 22K frequency was dominant. I've been hunting for a class ring lately and tried my own for a comparison. It hits at 47 with all three frequencies straight up and down, but the class ring hits dominant on the 7.5k frequency when analyzed. Seems like the chunkier the ring the mid frequency is best and the thinner rings hit the 22K best which makes sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread